Crash on GC garbageCollect

Andreas Brodbeck-3
Hi all

I have a 6.0 image which crashes on garbage collect. If I run "Smalltalk garbageCollect" it crashes. The crash log is attached. But I don't really understand that crash log. I run it with a 6.0 VM, tried it also with newest 6.1 VM and 7.0 VM, but always the same error.

I read here in the list about crash problems with GC, memory leaks and similar, but I really don't see what I could do.

Any pointers in which direction I could investigate?

Thanks and cheers,
Andreas

--
Andreas Brodbeck
www.mindclue.ch

pharo_crash.log (8K) Download Attachment

Re: Crash on GC garbageCollect

Ben Coman
There was a period where a new GC algorithm had some teething issues, but those were resolved.
Where did you get the newest VMs?
The one from your report seems old... "VM: 201708271955"

What platform are you on?
How are your starting your Image?

Can you move your development to a fresh download of latest 6.1 Image & VM and report if that has any problems?

HTH
cheers -ben

On 25 May 2018 at 16:24, Andreas Brodbeck <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all

I have a 6.0 image which crashes on garbage collect. If I run "Smalltalk garbageCollect" it crashes. The crash log is attached. But I don't really understand that crash log. I run it with a 6.0 VM, tried it also with newest 6.1 VM and 7.0 VM, but always the same error.

I read here in the list about crash problems with GC, memory leaks and similar, but I really don't see what I could do.

Any pointers in which direction I could investigate?

Thanks and cheers,
Andreas

--
Andreas Brodbeck
www.mindclue.ch

Re: Crash on GC garbageCollect

EstebanLM
that’s because 6.1 images still comes with an old VM.
I think I will backport the newer, but next week (testing time has passed, I think).

cheers,
Esteban

On 25 May 2018, at 17:02, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Stephan Eggermont-3
Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]>
wrote:
> that’s because 6.1 images still comes with an old VM.
> I think I will backport the newer, but next week (testing time has passed, I think).

You probably want to include the TLS fix from this week for Win7 so github
repos eork

Stephan

Re: Crash on GC garbageCollect

EstebanLM

> On 25 May 2018, at 23:48, Stephan Eggermont <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>> that’s because 6.1 images still comes with an old VM.
>> I think I will backport the newer, but next week (testing time has passed, I think).
>
> You probably want to include the TLS fix from this week for Win7 so github
> repos eork

no I do not want :)
because in that case I will need to repeat the full cycle: 2 weeks as latest, one month as stable in 7.0, than backport.
and probably in that moment there will be another fix to include.

So, I will promote this one, and then we can start the next cycle :)

Esteban

> Stephan

Re: Crash on GC garbageCollect

Eliot Miranda-2
Hi Andreas,

On Fri, May 25, 2018 at 1:24 AM, Andreas Brodbeck <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all

I have a 6.0 image which crashes on garbage collect. If I run "Smalltalk garbageCollect" it crashes. The crash log is attached. But I don't really understand that crash log. I run it with a 6.0 VM, tried it also with newest 6.1 VM and 7.0 VM, but always the same error.

I read here in the list about crash problems with GC, memory leaks and similar, but I really don't see what I could do.

Note that if you build an Assert VM you will be able to manually patch the image in lldb so that you can rescue it.  It looks like this:

lldb PharoAssert.app/Contents/MacOS/Pharo

(lldb) target create "/Users/eliot/oscogvm/build.macos64x64/pharo.cog.spur/PharoAssert.app/Contents/MacOS/Pharo"
Current executable set to '/Users/eliot/oscogvm/build.macos64x64/pharo.cog.spur/PharoAssert.app/Contents/MacOS/Pharo' (x86_64).
(lldb) settings set -- target.run-args  "clap_broken.d9e5daa.image"
(lldbb warning
Breakpoint 1: 3 locations.
(lldbrun --leakcheck 31 clap_broken.d9e5daa.image
Process 31569 launched: '/Users/eliot/oscogvm/build.macos64x64/pharo.cog.spur/PharoAssert.app/Contents/MacOS/Pharo' (x86_64)
object leak in        0x10f919658 @ 0 =        0x122216538
object leak in        0x10fbb3448 @ 0 =        0x122216760
object leak in        0x10fbb3480 @ 0 =        0x1222166a8
object leak in        0x10ff384f0 @ 0 =        0x122d480b0
object leak in        0x10ff38518 @ 0 =        0x122d480b0
object leak in        0x10ff385d0 @ 0 =        0x122d480b0
Process 31569 stopped
* thread #1: tid = 0x5b6d56, 0x0000000100001a83 Pharo`warning(s="checkHeapIntegrityclassIndicesShouldBeValid(0, 1) 57196") + 19 at gcc3x-cointerp.c:44, queue = 'com.apple.main-thread', stop reason = breakpoint 1.1
    frame #0: 0x0000000100001a83 Pharo`warning(s="checkHeapIntegrityclassIndicesShouldBeValid(0, 1) 57196") + 19 at gcc3x-cointerp.c:44
   41   sqInt warnpid, erroronwarn;
   42   void
   43   warning(char *s) { /* Print an error message but don't necessarily exit. */
-> 44   if (erroronwarn) error(s);
   45   if (warnpid)
   46   printf("\n%s pid %ld\n", s, (long)warnpid);
   47   else
(lldbcall freeObject(0,0x10f919658)
(sqInt) $0 = <a href="tel:4478138592" dir="ltr" target="_blank">4478138592
(lldbcall freeObject(0,0x10fbb3448)
(sqInt) $1 = <a href="tel:4478138592" dir="ltr" target="_blank">4478138592
(lldbcall freeObject(0,0x10fbb3480)
(sqInt) $2 = <a href="tel:4478138592" dir="ltr" target="_blank">4478138592
(lldbcall freeObject(0,0x10ff384f0)
(sqInt) $3 = <a href="tel:4478138592" dir="ltr" target="_blank">4478138592
(lldbcall freeObject(0,0x10ff38518)
(sqInt) $4 = <a href="tel:4478138592" dir="ltr" target="_blank">4478138592
(lldbcall freeObject(0,0x10ff385d0)
(sqInt) $5 = <a href="tel:4478138592" dir="ltr" target="_blank">4478138592
(lldbexpr checkForLeaks = 0
(sqInt) $0 = 0
(lldbcontinue

and then save the image.

_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot

wrote:

>> On 25 May 2018, at 23:48, Stephan Eggermont <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>> that’s because 6.1 images still comes with an old VM.
>>> I think I will backport the newer, but next week (testing time has passed, I think).
>>
>> You probably want to include the TLS fix from this week for Win7 so github
>> repos eork
>
> no I do not want :)
> because in that case I will need to repeat the full cycle: 2 weeks as
> latest, one month as stable in 7.0, than backport.
> and probably in that moment there will be another fix to include.

I understand that you don’t want, but releasing a stable vm for Pharo 6
where Iceberg (that is, github) doesn’t work on Win7 is also not really a
solution.

Stephan

wrote:
that’s because 6.1 images still comes with an old VM.
I think I will backport the newer, but next week (testing time has passed, I think).

You probably want to include the TLS fix from this week for Win7 so github
repos eork

no I do not want :)
because in that case I will need to repeat the full cycle: 2 weeks as
latest, one month as stable in 7.0, than backport.
and probably in that moment there will be another fix to include.

I understand that you don’t want, but releasing a stable vm for Pharo 6
where Iceberg (that is, github) doesn’t work on Win7 is also not really a
solution.

I didn’t say I will not do it :)
I just say first one, then the other :P

Esteban

Stephan

wrote:

>> On 25 May 2018, at 23:48, Stephan Eggermont <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>> that’s because 6.1 images still comes with an old VM.
>>> I think I will backport the newer, but next week (testing time has passed, I think).
>>
>> You probably want to include the TLS fix from this week for Win7 so github
>> repos eork
>
> no I do not want :)
> because in that case I will need to repeat the full cycle: 2 weeks as
> latest, one month as stable in 7.0, than backport.
> and probably in that moment there will be another fix to include.

I understand that you don’t want, but releasing a stable vm for Pharo 6
where Iceberg (that is, github) doesn’t work on Win7 is also not really a
solution.

Waiting for the another stable vm is in the realm of "someday", chasing the length-of-a-piece-of-string.
Better to make the improvement that can be made today,
and follow up with the next asap after that.

cheers -ben