Create a changeset for an entire package?

Create a changeset for an entire package?

melkyades
It seems fixing bugs is not the only hard part... I've a bunch of fixes for GLCanvas, and a small proposed change for the class browser but I can't find a way to export a diff of all the changed packages, nor a diff of an entire package nor a diff of a class so anybody can see the changes before commiting... Do I have to file out every class I changed? there has to some easier way.

Thanks,
           Javier.

--
Javier Pimás
Ciudad de Buenos Aires

Re: Create a changeset for an entire package?

Mariano Martinez Peck
Javier: You can use the change sorter which is in right button -> tools -> change sorter.

There, in any of the panes you can see that there is a unnamed changeset with all of your changes. Then you can create a new changeset with right button -> "new changeset" and put a name: "XXXXchange". Then you can move from right to left or left to right any of the changes you want to include. Once you have in your changes all you want, right button on the changeset -> fileout. And in the directory where the image is, you will have a XXXXchange.cs.

Does this help?

Best,

Mariano

2009/8/14 Javier Pimás <[hidden email]>
It seems fixing bugs is not the only hard part... I've a bunch of fixes for GLCanvas, and a small proposed change for the class browser but I can't find a way to export a diff of all the changed packages, nor a diff of an entire package nor a diff of a class so anybody can see the changes before commiting... Do I have to file out every class I changed? there has to some easier way.

Thanks,
           Javier.

--
Javier Pimás
Ciudad de Buenos Aires

Re: Create a changeset for an entire package?

Schwab,Wilhelm K
This sounds like something Monticello probably does.   I **think** you could prepare an .mcz file and then others can place same in a repository, open that and browse the code w/o changing their image.  I am striking out badly trying to find a quick place to test the idea, but perhaps an expert can teach us both something.

Bill

Re: Create a changeset for an entire package?

csrabak

Create a repo in your local disk and test your ideas as fast as they come!

Em 14/08/2009 18:28, Schwab,Wilhelm K < [hidden email] > escreveu:

This sounds like something Monticello probably does.   I **think** you could prepare an .mcz file and then others can place same in a repository, open that and browse the code w/o changing their image.  I am striking out badly trying to find a quick place to test the idea, but perhaps an expert can teach us both something.
Bill

Re: Create a changeset for an entire package?

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Yeah, but I have some repositories hanging off of old images that would make for a good test - they're just not on this new box, at least not yet.  Besides, this is better left to a MC expert.

Bill

Re: Create a changeset for an entire package?

Alexandre Bergel
Why not just to fileOut the package ?

Alexandre

On 14 Aug 2009, at 17:12, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> Javier: You can use the change sorter which is in right button ->
> tools -> change sorter.
>
> There, in any of the panes you can see that there is a unnamed
> changeset with all of your changes. Then you can create a new
> changeset with right button -> "new changeset" and put a name:
> "XXXXchange". Then you can move from right to left or left to right
> any of the changes you want to include. Once you have in your
> changes all you want, right button on the changeset -> fileout. And
> in the directory where the image is, you will have a XXXXchange.cs.
>
> Does this help?
>
> Best,
>
> Mariano
>
> 2009/8/14 Javier Pimás <[hidden email]>
> It seems fixing bugs is not the only hard part... I've a bunch of
> fixes for GLCanvas, and a small proposed change for the class
> browser but I can't find a way to export a diff of all the changed
> packages, nor a diff of an entire package nor a diff of a class so
> anybody can see the changes before commiting... Do I have to file
> out every class I changed? there has to some easier way.
>
> Thanks,
>            Javier.
>
> --
> Javier Pimás
> Ciudad de Buenos Aires

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: Create a changeset for an entire package?

save your package with monticello.
Create a package empty call sliceXXX and add the dirty package as
dependent (one click button)
and publish it.
MC has good supprt for merging.

On Aug 14, 2009, at 4:08 PM, Javier Pimás wrote:

> It seems fixing bugs is not the only hard part... I've a bunch of
> fixes for GLCanvas, and a small proposed change for the class
> browser but I can't find a way to export a diff of all the changed
> packages, nor a diff of an entire package nor a diff of a class so
> anybody can see the changes before commiting... Do I have to file
> out every class I changed? there has to some easier way.
>
> Thanks,
>            Javier.
>
> --
> Javier Pimás
> Ciudad de Buenos Aires

Re: Create a changeset for an entire package?

melkyades
Thanks for all the answers. I used Mariano's way, but I'd like to learn to do this monticello.

Stephane, I didn't understand the method you proposed. Anyway, there are two problems that I need to solve:

a) I don't wan't to include everything I changed from the package. There are some things that I changed for debugging. So, I can't fileout everything and I don't know if monticello will let me do what I want.

b) Supose the change includes 3 separate packages, that should be seen as a one. Loading only one package only would break things, so I'd like the change to include all 3 in one operation.

Can this be done?

2009/8/15 Javier Pimás <[hidden email]>
Thanks for all the answers. I used Mariano's way, but I'd like to learn to do this monticello.

Stephane, I didn't understand the method you proposed. Anyway, there are two problems that I need to solve:

a) I don't wan't to include everything I changed from the package. There are some things that I changed for debugging. So, I can't fileout everything and I don't know if monticello will let me do what I want.

As far as I know, no, you cannot. That's my I hate MC most. The level of granularity is too big. You cannot commit just code snippets but only a complete package.

On Aug 15, 2009, at 7:54 PM, Javier Pimás wrote:

> Thanks for all the answers. I used Mariano's way, but I'd like to
> learn to do this monticello.
>
> Stephane, I didn't understand the method you proposed. Anyway, there
> are two problems that I need to solve:
>
> a) I don't wan't to include everything I changed from the package.
> There are some things that I changed for debugging. So, I can't
> fileout everything and I don't know if monticello will let me do
> what I want.

so far you cannot in MC

> b) Supose the change includes 3 separate packages, that should be
> seen as a one. Loading only one package only would break things, so
> I'd like the change to include all 3 in one operation.

as I said :)
you create an empty package called SLICEMyChanges you click on the
button add dirty packages as dependent
and you save the SliceMyChanges in the inbox.
This way I can load all the packages of your changes in one click and
without losing hours.

Check the how to submit changes on the wiki.

Stef

> Can this be done?
>
> On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 7:44 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]
> > wrote:
> save your package with monticello.
> Create a package empty call sliceXXX and add the dirty package as
> dependent (one click button)
> and publish it.
> MC has good supprt for merging.
>

> On Aug 14, 2009, at 4:08 PM, Javier Pimás wrote:
>
> > It seems fixing bugs is not the only hard part... I've a bunch of
> > fixes for GLCanvas, and a small proposed change for the class
> > browser but I can't find a way to export a diff of all the changed
> > packages, nor a diff of an entire package nor a diff of a class so
> > anybody can see the changes before commiting... Do I have to file
> > out every class I changed? there has to some easier way.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >            Javier.
> >
> > --
> > Javier Pimás
> > Ciudad de Buenos Aires

> Javier Pimás
> Ciudad de Buenos Aires

Re: Create a changeset for an entire package?

Lukas Renggli
>> a) I don't wan't to include everything I changed from the package.
>> There are some things that I changed for debugging. So, I can't
>> fileout everything and I don't know if monticello will let me do
>> what I want.
>
> so far you cannot in MC

It is possible, but it requires some manual work to get a custom
change-set from A to B:

1. Make sure that both versions A and B are stored as Monticello
Packages (probably to a local directory).

2. Load version A.

3. Load version B.

4. In the changes-browser there is now a new change-set named A->B.

5. Open a change browser on it and edit it as you like.

6. File-out the change-set.

What I usually do is different and I think goes better with the whole
workflow of Monticello:

1. In an image where I have the modified code I display the changes
between the previous version (A) and the current image (B).

2. Then I selectively revert the changes that I don't want to go into B.

3. And commit the package B.

>> b) Supose the change includes 3 separate packages, that should be
>> seen as a one. Loading only one package only would break things, so
>> I'd like the change to include all 3 in one operation.

It is possible to create custom PackageInfo subclasses (Seaside <= 2.8
did this), but I have rarely seen this and don't find it particularly
useful. I would stick to the original packages to make merging for the
maintainers easy.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Create a changeset for an entire package?

Michael Roberts-2
Monticello ?

Mike