Create png from pdf

Sabine Manaa
Hi,

currently, I create pdfs with Artefact and it works fine.
For displaying previews of the pdf reports, I use  Apache PDFBox to generate pngs from the pdfs.
This works, too.

But I would prefer to generate the pngs directly from pharo and do not call external libraries.

Stephane told me that "there is a form in a morph and it can be converted in png".

Can anyone give me a small entry point or has done similar and provide some code snippet?

Regards
Sabine

Re: Create png from pdf

Henrik-Nergaard
See Form protocol (*Graphics-files), #writePNGFileNamed: , and PNGReadWriter.
| canvas |
canvas := FormCanvas extent: World extent.
World fullDrawOn: canvas.
canvas form writePNGFileNamed: 'imageOfWorld.png'

There are also some methods in morph (#exportAs:using: #exportAsPng), but these will ask for the filename via the file dialog.
World exportAsPng

Best regards,
Henrik

Re: Create png from pdf

Olivier Auverlot
Hi Sabine,

Converting a PDF into a PNG with Pharo is not an easy task because you must write a PDF reader.

With Artefact, the other approach is to draw on a form instead of generating the PDF instructions. For geometrics items, It's relatively easy but the respect of paper formats and the management of fonts could be very complex.

The difficulty is to have the same result between the PDF document and the simulated document  written in a PNG file.

Best regards
Olivier

See Form protocol (*Graphics-files), #writePNGFileNamed: , and PNGReadWriter.
| canvas |
canvas := FormCanvas extent: World extent.
World fullDrawOn: canvas.
canvas form writePNGFileNamed: 'imageOfWorld.png'

There are also some methods in morph (#exportAs:using: #exportAsPng), but these will ask for the filename via the file dialog.
World exportAsPng

Best regards,
Henrik

Re: Create png from pdf

Sabine Manaa
Hi Henrik, Hi Olivier,

thank you. I assume I have to stay at my old solution for the first time.

Regards
Sabine

[...]

http://forum.world.st/Create-png-from-pdf-tp4929722p4929731.html
To start a new topic under Pharo Smalltalk Users, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Pharo Smalltalk Users, click here.
NAML

Re: Create png from pdf

Stephane Ducasse-3
Ah you want to convert pdf to png I thought graphics to png.
PDF to png means that we would need a pdf renderer and this is not an easy task.