Ctrl+W in tabbed windows (GT inspector, browser/Calypso)

Ctrl+W in tabbed windows (GT inspector, browser/Calypso)

Petr Fischer
Hello!

I assume that Ctrl+W is a widely used keyboard shortcut for closing windows or a tab, if the window is "tabbed" (it works in web browsers, some desktops, Linux, IE, Mac OS X...).

But when I start up some exploration session in GT inspector,  I have several tabs opened in a second - then, after Ctrl+W, not the actual tab, but the whole window is immediately closed, gosh...
Same situation in "window groups" (when you created tabbed window group from browser/Calypso) - Ctrl+W behaves weird.

Is everyone in comfort with the idea that Ctrl+W should close the actual tab, and if there is no tab in the window (or actual tab is the last tab), then close the window?

Tested in Pharo 5, 6 and 6.1.

pf

Re: Ctrl+W in tabbed windows (GT inspector, browser/Calypso)

alistairgrant
On 19 March 2018 at 10:07, Petr Fischer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I assume that Ctrl+W is a widely used keyboard shortcut for closing windows or a tab, if the window is "tabbed" (it works in web browsers, some desktops, Linux, IE, Mac OS X...).
>
> But when I start up some exploration session in GT inspector,  I have several tabs opened in a second - then, after Ctrl+W, not the actual tab, but the whole window is immediately closed, gosh...
> Same situation in "window groups" (when you created tabbed window group from browser/Calypso) - Ctrl+W behaves weird.
>
> Is everyone in comfort with the idea that Ctrl+W should close the actual tab, and if there is no tab in the window (or actual tab is the last tab), then close the window?
>
> Tested in Pharo 5, 6 and 6.1.
>
> pf

+1

Re: Ctrl+W in tabbed windows (GT inspector, browser/Calypso)

Denis Kudriashov
Hi.

Are you sure that Calypso closes full window instead of single tab?
Because I use it all the time and it works for me in the way you described.

Hello!

I assume that Ctrl+W is a widely used keyboard shortcut for closing windows or a tab, if the window is "tabbed" (it works in web browsers, some desktops, Linux, IE, Mac OS X...).

But when I start up some exploration session in GT inspector,  I have several tabs opened in a second - then, after Ctrl+W, not the actual tab, but the whole window is immediately closed, gosh...
Same situation in "window groups" (when you created tabbed window group from browser/Calypso) - Ctrl+W behaves weird.

Is everyone in comfort with the idea that Ctrl+W should close the actual tab, and if there is no tab in the window (or actual tab is the last tab), then close the window?

Tested in Pharo 5, 6 and 6.1.

pf

Re: Ctrl+W in tabbed windows (GT inspector, browser/Calypso)

Ben Coman

On 19 March 2018 at 17:07, Petr Fischer <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello!

I assume that Ctrl+W is a widely used keyboard shortcut for closing windows or a tab, if the window is "tabbed" (it works in web browsers, some desktops, Linux, IE, Mac OS X...).

But when I start up some exploration session in GT inspector,  I have several tabs opened in a second - then, after Ctrl+W, not the actual tab, but the whole window is immediately closed, gosh...
Same situation in "window groups" (when you created tabbed window group from browser/Calypso) - Ctrl+W behaves weird.

Is everyone in comfort with the idea that Ctrl+W should close the actual tab, and if there is no tab in the window (or actual tab is the last tab), then close the window?

Actually I never knew that shortcut, but I will now.
I see it works that way in both Chrome and InternetExplorer and web browsers are a good benchmark.
But its not "critical" so I think it will be tough convincing someone to work on it for 5.0, 6.0, 6.1.
For 7 it sounds like a good idea.

cheers -ben

Tested in Pharo 5, 6 and 6.1.

pf

Re: Ctrl+W in tabbed windows (GT inspector, browser/Calypso)

Petr Fischer
It's completely weird:

1) first Ctrl+W closes the "content" of the tab
2) second Ctrl+W closes whole tabbed window

Look at thos video: https://youtu.be/MUcYNGnDAR8

pf

> Hi.
>
> Are you sure that Calypso closes full window instead of single tab?
> Because I use it all the time and it works for me in the way you described.

> > Hello!
> >
> > I assume that Ctrl+W is a widely used keyboard shortcut for closing
> > windows or a tab, if the window is "tabbed" (it works in web browsers, some
> > desktops, Linux, IE, Mac OS X...).
> >
> > But when I start up some exploration session in GT inspector,  I have
> > several tabs opened in a second - then, after Ctrl+W, not the actual tab,
> > but the whole window is immediately closed, gosh...
> > Same situation in "window groups" (when you created tabbed window group
> > from browser/Calypso) - Ctrl+W behaves weird.
> >
> > Is everyone in comfort with the idea that Ctrl+W should close the actual
> > tab, and if there is no tab in the window (or actual tab is the last tab),
> > then close the window?
> >
> > Tested in Pharo 5, 6 and 6.1.
> >
> > pf

Re: Ctrl+W in tabbed windows (GT inspector, browser/Calypso)

Petr Fischer
> On 19 March 2018 at 17:07, Petr Fischer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hello!
> >
> > I assume that Ctrl+W is a widely used keyboard shortcut for closing
> > windows or a tab, if the window is "tabbed" (it works in web browsers, some
> > desktops, Linux, IE, Mac OS X...).
> >
> > But when I start up some exploration session in GT inspector,  I have
> > several tabs opened in a second - then, after Ctrl+W, not the actual tab,
> > but the whole window is immediately closed, gosh...
> > Same situation in "window groups" (when you created tabbed window group
> > from browser/Calypso) - Ctrl+W behaves weird.
> >
> > Is everyone in comfort with the idea that Ctrl+W should close the actual
> > tab, and if there is no tab in the window (or actual tab is the last tab),
> > then close the window?
> >

> Actually I never knew that shortcut, but I will now.
> I see it works that way in both Chrome and InternetExplorer and web
> browsers are a good benchmark.
> But its not "critical" so I think it will be tough convincing someone to
> work on it for 5.0, 6.0, 6.1.
> For 7 it sounds like a good idea.

Should I enter the issue to the Fogbuz (for Pharo 7)?

pf

> cheers -ben
>

> > Tested in Pharo 5, 6 and 6.1.
> >
> > pf

Re: Ctrl+W in tabbed windows (GT inspector, browser/Calypso)

Denis Kudriashov
Ok. I see.

It is not scenario which I used.
Now I fixed it in dev version

It's completely weird:

1) first Ctrl+W closes the "content" of the tab
2) second Ctrl+W closes whole tabbed window

Look at thos video: https://youtu.be/MUcYNGnDAR8

pf

> Hi.
>
> Are you sure that Calypso closes full window instead of single tab?
> Because I use it all the time and it works for me in the way you described.

> > Hello!
> >
> > I assume that Ctrl+W is a widely used keyboard shortcut for closing
> > windows or a tab, if the window is "tabbed" (it works in web browsers, some
> > desktops, Linux, IE, Mac OS X...).
> >
> > But when I start up some exploration session in GT inspector,  I have
> > several tabs opened in a second - then, after Ctrl+W, not the actual tab,
> > but the whole window is immediately closed, gosh...
> > Same situation in "window groups" (when you created tabbed window group
> > from browser/Calypso) - Ctrl+W behaves weird.
> >
> > Is everyone in comfort with the idea that Ctrl+W should close the actual
> > tab, and if there is no tab in the window (or actual tab is the last tab),
> > then close the window?
> >
> > Tested in Pharo 5, 6 and 6.1.
> >
> > pf

Re: Ctrl+W in tabbed windows (GT inspector, browser/Calypso)

Petr Fischer
> Ok. I see.
>
> It is not scenario which I used.
> Now I fixed it in dev version

Wow that's fast! Next time I will use github issues for it (probably the preferred way).
Thanks.

> > It's completely weird:
> >
> > 1) first Ctrl+W closes the "content" of the tab
> > 2) second Ctrl+W closes whole tabbed window
> >
> > Look at thos video: https://youtu.be/MUcYNGnDAR8
> >
> > pf
> >
> > > Hi.
> > >
> > > Are you sure that Calypso closes full window instead of single tab?
> > > Because I use it all the time and it works for me in the way you
> > described.

> > some

> > tab,

> > actual
> > tab),

Re: Ctrl+W in tabbed windows (GT inspector, browser/Calypso)

Esteban A. Maringolo

> On 19 March 2018 at 17:07, Petr Fischer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Is everyone in comfort with the idea that Ctrl+W should close the actual
>> tab, and if there is no tab in the window (or actual tab is the last tab),
>> then close the window?
>

> Actually I never knew that shortcut, but I will now.
> I see it works that way in both Chrome and InternetExplorer and web browsers
> are a good benchmark.

It's the sibling of Ctrl+Tab and Ctrl+Shift+Tab to move forward or
backward in a list of tabs.

I use it a lot.

Esteban A. Maringolo