Cuis 4.2 is released

Juan Vuletich-4
Hi Folks,

I've just pushed Cuis 4.2 to https://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/Stable
and to https://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/Development . As you know,
biggest news is package dependency support by Ken Dickey and me. Several
packages were extracted from the image, and are included in the repo.
Now, the base image is below 500 classes and below 100kLOC. I also added
a new package "SignalProcessing".

Enjoy!

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

Re: Cuis 4.2 is released

garduino
Nice!

Now we only need a UI designer toolkit :)

2013/7/25 Juan Vuletich <[hidden email]>
Hi Folks,

I've just pushed Cuis 4.2 to https://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/Stable and to https://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/Development . As you know, biggest news is package dependency support by Ken Dickey and me. Several packages were extracted from the image, and are included in the repo. Now, the base image is below 500 classes and below 100kLOC. I also added a new package "SignalProcessing".

Enjoy!

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

Saludos / Regards,
Germán Arduino
www.arduinosoftware.com

Re: Cuis 4.2 is released

Hannes Hirzel
Great. Congratulations for the persistent good work.

And in the future we need to adapt open content tutorials .... (or at
least a list of links)

500 well worked out classes  and below 100kLOC is a _huge_ achievement.

-- Hannes

On 7/25/13, Germán Arduino <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Nice!
>
> Now we only need a UI designer toolkit :)
>

> 2013/7/25 Juan Vuletich <[hidden email]>
>
>> Hi Folks,
>>
>> I've just pushed Cuis 4.2 to
>> https://github.com/Cuis-**Smalltalk/Stable<https://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/Stable>and
>> https://github.com/Cuis-**Smalltalk/Development<https://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/Development>.
>> As you know, biggest news is package dependency support by Ken Dickey and
>> me. Several packages were extracted from the image, and are included in
>> the
>> repo. Now, the base image is below 500 classes and below 100kLOC. I also
>> added a new package "SignalProcessing".
>>
>> Enjoy!
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Juan Vuletich

> Saludos / Regards,
> Germán Arduino
> www.arduinosoftware.com

Re: Cuis 4.2 is released

KenDickey
On Thu, 25 Jul 2013 19:10:45 +0100
"H. Hirzel" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Great. Congratulations for the persistent good work.
..
> 500 well worked out classes  and below 100kLOC is a _huge_ achievement.

Hear, hear!!   [+1]

--
Ken [dot] Dickey [at] whidbey [dot] com

-KenD

Re: Cuis 4.2 is released

Casey Ransberger-2
This is good stuff. I'm curious; should we use Ken's requirements to build our images? It seems like it would work well for that. The other thing I'm wondering is: what if we specified requirements all the way down, such that we might be able to build an image up from something that just has the compiler and a means of accessing a bootstrap script from disk?

Oh, and Juan: you should announce this on squeak-dev too:)

"H. Hirzel" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Great. Congratulations for the persistent good work.
..
> 500 well worked out classes  and below 100kLOC is a _huge_ achievement.

Hear, hear!!   [+1]

--
Ken [dot] Dickey [at] whidbey [dot] com

Casey Ransberger

Re: Cuis 4.2 is released

KenDickey
On Thu, 25 Jul 2013 15:16:39 -0700
Casey Ransberger <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This is good stuff. I'm curious; should we use Ken's requirements to build
> our images? It seems like it would work well for that. The other thing I'm
> wondering is: what if we specified requirements all the way down, such that
> we might be able to build an image up from something that just has the
> compiler and a means of accessing a bootstrap script from disk?

BTW, I updated https://github.com/KenDickey/Cuis-Solitaire for provide/require.  If you look at the code, this is just a two line change (Description and classDefinition lines are original):

 'Description Solitaire Card Games'!
 !provides: 'Morphic-Games-Solitaire' 1 16!
 !requires: 'Graphics-Files-Additional' 1 nil!
 !classDefinition: #CardContainerMorph category: #'Morphic-Games-Solitaire'!

So updating projects is trivial.

We might think of adding a dummy projecy which always requires the complete set of Cuis packages.

The great thing about packages is that we can refactor and require them as makes sense.  So a "headless" Cuis for scripting is not too big of a stretch.

--
Ken [dot] Dickey [at] whidbey [dot] com

-KenD
bpi

Re: Cuis 4.2 is released

bpi
Hi Juan,

Congratulations on the new release! This is definitely a very important feature.

I can see how I load packages using the new Feature feature. However, I cannot find a way to specify dependencies of a package in the first place. Is there example code somewhere in the image?

Cheers,
Bernhard

Am 25.07.2013 um 16:06 schrieb Juan Vuletich:

> Hi Folks,
>
> I've just pushed Cuis 4.2 to https://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/Stable and to https://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/Development . As you know, biggest news is package dependency support by Ken Dickey and me. Several packages were extracted from the image, and are included in the repo. Now, the base image is below 500 classes and below 100kLOC. I also added a new package "SignalProcessing".
>
> Enjoy!
>
> Cheers,
> Juan Vuletich

Re: Cuis 4.2 is released

KenDickey
On Sat, 27 Jul 2013 13:15:40 +0200
Bernhard Pieber <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Juan,
>
> Congratulations on the new release! This is definitely a very important feature.
>
> I can see how I load packages using the new Feature feature. However, I cannot find a way to specify dependencies of a package in the first place. Is there example code somewhere in the image?

Ah.  You are seeing evolution in action.  Features allows to auto-load required packages, the UI, documentation, and significant testing for that matter is what we collectively are doing as time permits.  And Time has been pretty strict lately.  8^)

Right now, Juan has been slimming down the image.  As a rule, for each announced release, I typically load a number of packages and look for breakage.  That is about the state of finding out what packages might be required.

I mentioned that one can add two lines to a .pck.st package file to add the provide/require info.

I suspect this will change a bit as we get more experience with Features and as change occurs.

The lines marked with + are new.

  'Description Solitaire Card Games'!
+ !provides: 'Morphic-Games-Solitaire' 1 16!
+ !requires: 'Graphics-Files-Additional' 1 nil!
  !classDefinition: #CardContainerMorph category: #'Morphic-Games-Solitaire'!

There should, and will (!) be a UI way to do this.

Evolution in baby steps.. by busy people..

--
Ken [dot] Dickey [at] whidbey [dot] com

-KenD

Re: Cuis 4.2 is released

Juan Vuletich-4
On 7/25/2013 7:16 PM, Casey Ransberger wrote:
This is good stuff. I'm curious; should we use Ken's requirements to build our images?

Yes, of course. And report here about the experience!

It seems like it would work well for that. The other thing I'm wondering is: what if we specified requirements all the way down, such that we might be able to build an image up from something that just has the compiler and a means of accessing a bootstrap script from disk?

Yes, that is a great goal. It would need quite some work. Takers?

Oh, and Juan: you should announce this on squeak-dev too:)

Sure. Did it. Thanks.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

On 7/25/2013 9:29 PM, Ken Dickey wrote:

> On Thu, 25 Jul 2013 15:16:39 -0700
> Casey Ransberger<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> This is good stuff. I'm curious; should we use Ken's requirements to build
>> our images? It seems like it would work well for that. The other thing I'm
>> wondering is: what if we specified requirements all the way down, such that
>> we might be able to build an image up from something that just has the
>> compiler and a means of accessing a bootstrap script from disk?
> BTW, I updated https://github.com/KenDickey/Cuis-Solitaire for provide/require.  If you look at the code, this is just a two line change (Description and classDefinition lines are original):
>
>   'Description Solitaire Card Games'!
>   !provides: 'Morphic-Games-Solitaire' 1 16!
>   !requires: 'Graphics-Files-Additional' 1 nil!
>   !classDefinition: #CardContainerMorph category: #'Morphic-Games-Solitaire'!
>
> So updating projects is trivial.
>
> We might think of adding a dummy projecy which always requires the complete set of Cuis packages.
>
> The great thing about packages is that we can refactor and require them as makes sense.  So a "headless" Cuis for scripting is not too big of a stretch.

Yes. Agreed.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

Re: Cuis 4.2 is released

Juan Vuletich-4
On 7/27/2013 11:38 PM, Ken Dickey wrote:

> On Sat, 27 Jul 2013 13:15:40 +0200
> Bernhard Pieber<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> Hi Juan,
>>
>> Congratulations on the new release! This is definitely a very important feature.
>>
>> I can see how I load packages using the new Feature feature. However, I cannot find a way to specify dependencies of a package in the first place. Is there example code somewhere in the image?
> Ah.  You are seeing evolution in action.  Features allows to auto-load required packages, the UI, documentation, and significant testing for that matter is what we collectively are doing as time permits.  And Time has been pretty strict lately.  8^)
>
> Right now, Juan has been slimming down the image.  As a rule, for each announced release, I typically load a number of packages and look for breakage.  That is about the state of finding out what packages might be required.
>
> I mentioned that one can add two lines to a .pck.st package file to add the provide/require info.
>
> I suspect this will change a bit as we get more experience with Features and as change occurs.
>
> The lines marked with + are new.
>
>    'Description Solitaire Card Games'!
> + !provides: 'Morphic-Games-Solitaire' 1 16!
> + !requires: 'Graphics-Files-Additional' 1 nil!
>    !classDefinition: #CardContainerMorph category: #'Morphic-Games-Solitaire'!
>
> There should, and will (!) be a UI way to do this.
>
> Evolution in baby steps.. by busy people..

Yes... Lots of stuff yet not done... But I didn't want to delay
releasing Features. We'll keep working and discussing about them.

You can play with instances by exploring 'CodePackage allInstances', and
browsing the class. You can set the provided feature, dependencies, etc,
and save, then view the file in the FileList, etc.

(Please backup a copy of important packages of your own, just in case)

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich