[Cuis] [Ann] Cuis 4.1 is released

J. Vuletich (mail lists)
Hi Folks,

Cuis 4.1 is available at http://www.jvuletich.org/Cuis/Index.html .
Biggest news is in the Morph hierarchy. Ivars 'bounds' and
'fullBounds' are gone! All coordinates are now Float and relative to
the owner morph. This is part of the transition to Morphic 3. The
drawing engine is still BitBlt and the UI is not scalable yet, but
Morphic 3 is now much closer.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

Re: [Cuis] [Ann] Cuis 4.1 is released

Jeff Gonis-2
Congratulations Juan!

This is great news!  I always enjoy using Cuis and seeing the new goodies that you have been working on.

How is the work on the drawing engine going?  I ask because Bert recently uploaded Squeak bindings for "Gezira", the vector graphics drawing engine that VPRI is working on and I built a vm and played around with it.  Their goal of a simple and compact, yet powerful graphical subsystem would seem to coincide with your goal of keeping Cuis understandable and rejecting complexity.

Anyway, it's just a thought, but I wanted to throw it out there as you might find some synergies between your work and VPRI's.

Great work!
Jeff

On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 9:54 AM, Juan Vuletich (mail lists) <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Folks,

Cuis 4.1 is available at http://www.jvuletich.org/Cuis/Index.html . Biggest news is in the Morph hierarchy. Ivars 'bounds' and 'fullBounds' are gone! All coordinates are now Float and relative to the owner morph. This is part of the transition to Morphic 3. The drawing engine is still BitBlt and the UI is not scalable yet, but Morphic 3 is now much closer.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

re: Cuis 4.1 is released

ccrraaiigg

     Hooray!

-C

--
Craig Latta
www.netjam.org/resume

Re: [Cuis] [Ann] Cuis 4.1 is released

Colin Putney-3

On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 11:54 AM, Juan Vuletich (mail lists) <[hidden email]> wrote:

Cuis 4.1 is available at http://www.jvuletich.org/Cuis/Index.html . Biggest news is in the Morph hierarchy. Ivars 'bounds' and 'fullBounds' are gone! All coordinates are now Float and relative to the owner morph. This is part of the transition to Morphic 3. The drawing engine is still BitBlt and the UI is not scalable yet, but Morphic 3 is now much closer.

Wonderful! I'm really looking forward to seeing Morphic3 in action. Congratulations.

Colin

Re: [Cuis] [Ann] Cuis 4.1 is released

Martin Kuball
Am Wednesday 12 December 2012 schrieb Juan Vuletich (mail lists):

> Hi Folks,
>
> Cuis 4.1 is available at http://www.jvuletich.org/Cuis/Index.html .
> Biggest news is in the Morph hierarchy. Ivars 'bounds' and
> 'fullBounds' are gone! All coordinates are now Float and relative to
> the owner morph. This is part of the transition to Morphic 3. The
> drawing engine is still BitBlt and the UI is not scalable yet, but
> Morphic 3 is now much closer.
>
> Cheers,
> Juan Vuletich

I tried cuis 4.1 but was not able to get it to work. I used the latest vm from debian unstable: 4.10.2.2614-1_amd64. When I open the image everything seems to be fine. Altough I'm not sure if the background is supposed to be black? But when I move windows arround or open popups the screen is not redrawn and it gets cluttered with parts of the windows and the popups (see attached image). Any idea what's causing this? The squeak images work just fine.

Martin

cuis.png (45K) Download Attachment

Re: [Cuis] [Ann] Cuis 4.1 is released

garduino
Hi:

I use Cuis with latest Cog VMs in Lubuntu with no problems. Not tried
with stock vm's.

--
Sincerely,
Germán Arduino

2013/2/7 Martin Kuball <[hidden email]>:

> Am Wednesday 12 December 2012 schrieb Juan Vuletich (mail lists):
>> Hi Folks,
>>
>> Cuis 4.1 is available at http://www.jvuletich.org/Cuis/Index.html .
>> Biggest news is in the Morph hierarchy. Ivars 'bounds' and
>> 'fullBounds' are gone! All coordinates are now Float and relative to
>> the owner morph. This is part of the transition to Morphic 3. The
>> drawing engine is still BitBlt and the UI is not scalable yet, but
>> Morphic 3 is now much closer.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Juan Vuletich
>>

> I tried cuis 4.1 but was not able to get it to work. I used the latest vm from debian unstable: 4.10.2.2614-1_amd64. When I open the image everything seems to be fine. Altough I'm not sure if the background is supposed to be black? But when I move windows arround or open popups the screen is not redrawn and it gets cluttered with parts of the windows and the popups (see attached image). Any idea what's causing this? The squeak images work just fine.
>
> Martin

Re: [Cuis] [Ann] Cuis 4.1 is released

J. Vuletich (mail lists)
Hi Martin,

Quoting Martin Kuball <[hidden email]>:

> Am Wednesday 12 December 2012 schrieb Juan Vuletich (mail lists):
>> Hi Folks,
>>
>> Cuis 4.1 is available at http://www.jvuletich.org/Cuis/Index.html .
>> Biggest news is in the Morph hierarchy. Ivars 'bounds' and
>> 'fullBounds' are gone! All coordinates are now Float and relative to
>> the owner morph. This is part of the transition to Morphic 3. The
>> drawing engine is still BitBlt and the UI is not scalable yet, but
>> Morphic 3 is now much closer.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Juan Vuletich
>>

> I tried cuis 4.1 but was not able to get it to work. I used the
> latest vm from debian unstable: 4.10.2.2614-1_amd64. When I open the
> image everything seems to be fine. Altough I'm not sure if the
> background is supposed to be black? But when I move windows arround
> or open popups the screen is not redrawn and it gets cluttered with
> parts of the windows and the popups (see attached image). Any idea
> what's causing this? The squeak images work just fine.
>
> Martin

The problems you see are due to bugs in BitBlt that I fixed about 2
years ago. You need a newer VM.

As we recommend at http://www.jvuletich.org/Cuis/Index.html , use the
latest Cog VM for your platform if possible. Right now, that would be
http://www.mirandabanda.org/files/Cog/VM/VM.r2678/coglinux.tgz . If
that doesn't fit your system, you need to find a relatively recent VM
with the fixed BitBlt.

Maybe someone can give more specific advice, as I'm not a Linuxer...

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

Re: [Cuis] [Ann] Cuis 4.1 is released

David T. Lewis
On Thu, Feb 07, 2013 at 09:10:25AM -0300, Juan Vuletich (mail lists) wrote:

> Hi Martin,
>
> Quoting Martin Kuball <[hidden email]>:
>
> >Am Wednesday 12 December 2012 schrieb Juan Vuletich (mail lists):
> >>Hi Folks,
> >>
> >>Cuis 4.1 is available at http://www.jvuletich.org/Cuis/Index.html .
> >>Biggest news is in the Morph hierarchy. Ivars 'bounds' and
> >>'fullBounds' are gone! All coordinates are now Float and relative to
> >>the owner morph. This is part of the transition to Morphic 3. The
> >>drawing engine is still BitBlt and the UI is not scalable yet, but
> >>Morphic 3 is now much closer.
> >>
> >>Cheers,
> >>Juan Vuletich
> >>

> >I tried cuis 4.1 but was not able to get it to work. I used the
> >latest vm from debian unstable: 4.10.2.2614-1_amd64. When I open the
> >image everything seems to be fine. Altough I'm not sure if the
> >background is supposed to be black? But when I move windows arround
> >or open popups the screen is not redrawn and it gets cluttered with
> >parts of the windows and the popups (see attached image). Any idea
> >what's causing this? The squeak images work just fine.
> >
> >Martin
> >

> The problems you see are due to bugs in BitBlt that I fixed about 2
> years ago. You need a newer VM.
>
> As we recommend at http://www.jvuletich.org/Cuis/Index.html , use the
> latest Cog VM for your platform if possible. Right now, that would be
> http://www.mirandabanda.org/files/Cog/VM/VM.r2678/coglinux.tgz . If
> that doesn't fit your system, you need to find a relatively recent VM
> with the fixed BitBlt.
>
> Maybe someone can give more specific advice, as I'm not a Linuxer...

Squeak VMs are at http://squeakvm.org/index.html, which has links to
download the standard interpreter VM at http://squeakvm.org/unix/ and
Cog VM at http://www.mirandabanda.org/files/Cog/VM/. Cuis will work
with any of these VMs.

I'm not sure who is maintaining the Debian distribution, but apparently
it is broken.

Dave

Re: [Cuis] [Ann] Cuis 4.1 is released

Igor Stasenko
On 12 December 2012 17:54, Juan Vuletich (mail lists)
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> Cuis 4.1 is available at http://www.jvuletich.org/Cuis/Index.html . Biggest
> news is in the Morph hierarchy. Ivars 'bounds' and 'fullBounds' are gone!
> All coordinates are now Float and relative to the owner morph. This is part
> of the transition to Morphic 3. The drawing engine is still BitBlt and the
> UI is not scalable yet, but Morphic 3 is now much closer.

moving to relative coordinates is a great improvement indeed!
but you left me confused.. if there is no bounds ivar, how morph knows
about own dimensions?
or you introduced new ivar for that (to not clash with old implementation)?

> Cheers,
> Juan Vuletich

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: [Cuis] [Ann] Cuis 4.1 is released

Hannes Hirzel
On 2/7/13, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 07, 2013 at 09:10:25AM -0300, Juan Vuletich (mail lists) wrote:
>> Hi Martin,
>>
>> Quoting Martin Kuball <[hidden email]>:

>> >I tried cuis 4.1 but was not able to get it to work. I used the
>> >latest vm from debian unstable: 4.10.2.2614-1_amd64. When I open the
>> >image everything seems to be fine. Altough I'm not sure if the
>> >background is supposed to be black? But when I move windows arround
>> >or open popups the screen is not redrawn and it gets cluttered with
>> >parts of the windows and the popups (see attached image). Any idea
>> >what's causing this? The squeak images work just fine.
>> >
>> >Martin
>> >

>> The problems you see are due to bugs in BitBlt that I fixed about 2
>> years ago. You need a newer VM.
>>
>> As we recommend at http://www.jvuletich.org/Cuis/Index.html , use the
>> latest Cog VM for your platform if possible. Right now, that would be
>> http://www.mirandabanda.org/files/Cog/VM/VM.r2678/coglinux.tgz . If
>> that doesn't fit your system, you need to find a relatively recent VM
>> with the fixed BitBlt.
>>
>> Maybe someone can give more specific advice, as I'm not a Linuxer...
>>

> Squeak VMs are at http://squeakvm.org/index.html, which has links to
> download the standard interpreter VM at http://squeakvm.org/unix/ and
> Cog VM at http://www.mirandabanda.org/files/Cog/VM/. Cuis will work
> with any of these VMs.
>
> I'm not sure who is maintaining the Debian distribution, but apparently
> it is broken.

Maybe Martin Kuball just needs to use the latest Cuis version (minor version).

    https://github.com/jvuletich

Juan indeed did some fixes this January regarding artifacts remaining
on the display.  The updates are available on github (including
ready-made images).

   https://github.com/jvuletich/Cuis/tree/master/Cuis4WithLatestUpdates

and in particular

    https://github.com/jvuletich/Cuis/blob/master/Cuis4WithLatestUpdates/Cuis4.1-1576.zip

That might be enough to bring Cuis4.1 into action on Debian. As Germán
Arduino just noted  it works fine for him on Lubuntu.

Regards
--Hannes

> Dave

Re: [Cuis] [Ann] Cuis 4.1 is released

Karl Ramberg
Very impressive work you do with morphic refactoring.

I have spent much time debugging specially the Etoys system and have scratched my head really hard from time to time ;-)
Morphic in Squeak is very cool, but it's a big mess of features added as needed and that shows when you look in the cracks.

I'm looking forward to you further advancement :-)

Karl

On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 5:54 PM, Juan Vuletich (mail lists) <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Folks,

Cuis 4.1 is available at http://www.jvuletich.org/Cuis/Index.html . Biggest news is in the Morph hierarchy. Ivars 'bounds' and 'fullBounds' are gone! All coordinates are now Float and relative to the owner morph. This is part of the transition to Morphic 3. The drawing engine is still BitBlt and the UI is not scalable yet, but Morphic 3 is now much closer.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

Re: [Cuis] [Ann] Cuis 4.1 is released

timrowledge
I like it.

tim
"Bother," said Pooh, reading his bank statement from Barings.

Am Thursday 07 February 2013 schrieb David T. Lewis:

> On Thu, Feb 07, 2013 at 09:10:25AM -0300, Juan Vuletich (mail lists) wrote:
> > Hi Martin,
> >
> > Quoting Martin Kuball <[hidden email]>:

> > >I tried cuis 4.1 but was not able to get it to work. I used the
> > >latest vm from debian unstable: 4.10.2.2614-1_amd64. When I open the
> > >image everything seems to be fine. Altough I'm not sure if the
> > >background is supposed to be black? But when I move windows arround
> > >or open popups the screen is not redrawn and it gets cluttered with
> > >parts of the windows and the popups (see attached image). Any idea
> > >what's causing this? The squeak images work just fine.
> > >
> > >Martin
> > >

> > The problems you see are due to bugs in BitBlt that I fixed about 2
> > years ago. You need a newer VM.
> >
> > As we recommend at http://www.jvuletich.org/Cuis/Index.html , use the
> > latest Cog VM for your platform if possible. Right now, that would be
> > http://www.mirandabanda.org/files/Cog/VM/VM.r2678/coglinux.tgz . If
> > that doesn't fit your system, you need to find a relatively recent VM
> > with the fixed BitBlt.
> >
> > Maybe someone can give more specific advice, as I'm not a Linuxer...
> >

> Squeak VMs are at http://squeakvm.org/index.html, which has links to
> download the standard interpreter VM at http://squeakvm.org/unix/ and
> Cog VM at http://www.mirandabanda.org/files/Cog/VM/. Cuis will work
> with any of these VMs.
>
> I'm not sure who is maintaining the Debian distribution, but apparently
> it is broken.
>
> Dave

Turns out I had to compile a new one. The latest vm on squeakvm.org does not work on debian because libc6 is to old and debian does unfortunately not provide a better one. But cuis is working now. Thanks for the tips.

While doing that I took a look at the debian source package of squeak-vm. According to the changelog the uploader of the package is Jonas Smedegaard <[hidden email]>. Maybe he is listening here and can add some insight? Because as far as I can see the package is build from the src tarball from squeakvm.org. The same one I used. Really odd.

Martin

Re: [Cuis] [Ann] Cuis 4.1 is released

Frank Shearar-3
On 8 February 2013 09:03, Martin Kuball <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am Thursday 07 February 2013 schrieb David T. Lewis:
>> On Thu, Feb 07, 2013 at 09:10:25AM -0300, Juan Vuletich (mail lists) wrote:
>> > Hi Martin,

>> > The problems you see are due to bugs in BitBlt that I fixed about 2
>> > years ago. You need a newer VM.
>> >
>> > As we recommend at http://www.jvuletich.org/Cuis/Index.html , use the
>> > latest Cog VM for your platform if possible. Right now, that would be
>> > http://www.mirandabanda.org/files/Cog/VM/VM.r2678/coglinux.tgz . If
>> > that doesn't fit your system, you need to find a relatively recent VM
>> > with the fixed BitBlt.
>> >
>> > Maybe someone can give more specific advice, as I'm not a Linuxer...
>> >

>> Squeak VMs are at http://squeakvm.org/index.html, which has links to
>> download the standard interpreter VM at http://squeakvm.org/unix/ and
>> Cog VM at http://www.mirandabanda.org/files/Cog/VM/. Cuis will work
>> with any of these VMs.
>>
>> I'm not sure who is maintaining the Debian distribution, but apparently
>> it is broken.
>>
>> Dave
>>

> Turns out I had to compile a new one. The latest vm on squeakvm.org does not work on debian because libc6 is to old and debian does unfortunately not provide a better one. But cuis is working now. Thanks for the tips.
>
> While doing that I took a look at the debian source package of squeak-vm. According to the changelog the uploader of the package is Jonas Smedegaard <[hidden email]>. Maybe he is listening here and can add some insight? Because as far as I can see the package is build from the src tarball from squeakvm.org. The same one I used. Really odd.
>
> Martin

Hi Martin,

You might find this useful:
https://github.com/frankshearar/squeak-ci/blob/master/build_interpreter_vm.sh

It's part of a series of scripts Squeak uses in its CI infrastructure
because CentOS also uses an outdated glibc.

frank

Quoting "David T. Lewis" <[hidden email]>:

> On Thu, Feb 07, 2013 at 09:10:25AM -0300, Juan Vuletich (mail lists) wrote:
>> Hi Martin,
>>
>> Quoting Martin Kuball <[hidden email]>:

>> >I tried cuis 4.1 but was not able to get it to work. I used the
>> >latest vm from debian unstable: 4.10.2.2614-1_amd64. When I open the
>> >image everything seems to be fine. Altough I'm not sure if the
>> >background is supposed to be black? But when I move windows arround
>> >or open popups the screen is not redrawn and it gets cluttered with
>> >parts of the windows and the popups (see attached image). Any idea
>> >what's causing this? The squeak images work just fine.
>> >
>> >Martin
>> >

>> The problems you see are due to bugs in BitBlt that I fixed about 2
>> years ago. You need a newer VM.
>>
>> As we recommend at http://www.jvuletich.org/Cuis/Index.html , use the
>> latest Cog VM for your platform if possible. Right now, that would be
>> http://www.mirandabanda.org/files/Cog/VM/VM.r2678/coglinux.tgz . If
>> that doesn't fit your system, you need to find a relatively recent VM
>> with the fixed BitBlt.
>>
>> Maybe someone can give more specific advice, as I'm not a Linuxer...
>>

> Squeak VMs are at http://squeakvm.org/index.html, which has links to
> download the standard interpreter VM at http://squeakvm.org/unix/ and
> Cog VM at http://www.mirandabanda.org/files/Cog/VM/. Cuis will work
> with any of these VMs.
>
> I'm not sure who is maintaining the Debian distribution, but apparently
> it is broken.
>
> Dave

Thanks Dave. I´ll update the Cuis web site tonight.

Quoting Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]>:

> On 12 December 2012 17:54, Juan Vuletich (mail lists)
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Folks,
>>
>> Cuis 4.1 is available at http://www.jvuletich.org/Cuis/Index.html . Biggest
>> news is in the Morph hierarchy. Ivars 'bounds' and 'fullBounds' are gone!
>> All coordinates are now Float and relative to the owner morph. This is part
>> of the transition to Morphic 3. The drawing engine is still BitBlt and the
>> UI is not scalable yet, but Morphic 3 is now much closer.
>>

> moving to relative coordinates is a great improvement indeed!
> but you left me confused.. if there is no bounds ivar, how morph knows
> about own dimensions?
> or you introduced new ivar for that (to not clash with old implementation)?
>
>> Cheers,
>> Juan Vuletich

> Best regards,
> Igor Stasenko.

Morph has location. Various subclasses might have different ways to
know about their size. For example, RectangleLikeMorph has extent, but
CircleMorph should have radious...

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

Re: [Cuis] [Ann] Cuis 4.1 is released

J. Vuletich (mail lists)
Quoting Martin Kuball <[hidden email]>:

> Am Thursday 07 February 2013 schrieb David T. Lewis:
>> On Thu, Feb 07, 2013 at 09:10:25AM -0300, Juan Vuletich (mail lists) wrote:
>> > Hi Martin,

>> > The problems you see are due to bugs in BitBlt that I fixed about 2
>> > years ago. You need a newer VM.
>> >
>> > As we recommend at http://www.jvuletich.org/Cuis/Index.html , use the
>> > latest Cog VM for your platform if possible. Right now, that would be
>> > http://www.mirandabanda.org/files/Cog/VM/VM.r2678/coglinux.tgz . If
>> > that doesn't fit your system, you need to find a relatively recent VM
>> > with the fixed BitBlt.
>> >
>> > Maybe someone can give more specific advice, as I'm not a Linuxer...
>> >

>> Squeak VMs are at http://squeakvm.org/index.html, which has links to
>> download the standard interpreter VM at http://squeakvm.org/unix/ and
>> Cog VM at http://www.mirandabanda.org/files/Cog/VM/. Cuis will work
>> with any of these VMs.
>>
>> I'm not sure who is maintaining the Debian distribution, but apparently
>> it is broken.
>>
>> Dave
>>

> Turns out I had to compile a new one. The latest vm on squeakvm.org
> does not work on debian because libc6 is to old and debian does
> unfortunately not provide a better one. But cuis is working now.
> Thanks for the tips.
>
> While doing that I took a look at the debian source package of
> squeak-vm. According to the changelog the uploader of the package is
> Jonas Smedegaard <[hidden email]>. Maybe he is listening here and can
> add some insight? Because as far as I can see the package is build
> from the src tarball from squeakvm.org. The same one I used. Really
> odd.
>
> Martin

Good to know. Thanks for telling how it went.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

Re: [Cuis] [Ann] Cuis 4.1 is released

Bert Freudenberg

On 2013-02-08, at 10:03, Martin Kuball <[hidden email]> wrote:
> While doing that I took a look at the debian source package of squeak-vm. According to the changelog the uploader of the package is Jonas Smedegaard <[hidden email]>. Maybe he is listening here and can add some insight?

He is not. You should file a bug report with Debian:

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?src=squeak-vm

- Bert -