Cuis-PetitParser?

Hannes Hirzel
Hello

Who did this

    https://github.com/pmon/Cuis-PetitParser

?
What was the original source for porting?

Did it come from here
    http://www.smalltalkhub.com
?

quite a number of options there.

Regards

Hannes

Re: Cuis-PetitParser?

Paolo-2
Hi, it was me.
I think original sources were the latest ones from squeak/pharo at that time.

Regards

Paolo

Inviato da iPhone

> Il giorno 20/mag/2015, alle ore 07:12, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> ha scritto:
>
> Hello
>
> Who did this
>
>    https://github.com/pmon/Cuis-PetitParser
>
> ?
> What was the original source for porting?
>
> Did it come from here
>    http://www.smalltalkhub.com
> ?
>
> quite a number of options there.
>
> Regards
>
> Hannes

Re: Cuis-PetitParser?

Hannes Hirzel
Lukas Renggli writes three years ago
<[hidden email]> Sun, May 20, 2012 at 8:04 AM

Cc: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>

<citation>
PetitParser has very small requirements to the host platform. The same
code that was developed in Pharo 1.3 also runs on VisualWorks, GNU
Smalltalk, VSE, and GemStone (I was told). There might be a few
extension methods necessary that you can easily spot with the tests
that should have nearly 100% code coverage. Let me know if you find
something that blocks you from using PetitParser in Cuis.
</citation>

Maybe we just should do a new port from the most recent version.

On 5/20/15, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello
>
> Who did this
>
>     https://github.com/pmon/Cuis-PetitParser
>
> ?
> What was the original source for porting?
>
> Did it come from here
>     http://www.smalltalkhub.com
> ?
>
> quite a number of options there.
>
> Regards
>
> Hannes

Re: Cuis-PetitParser?

Hannes Hirzel
Thanks Paolo,

Do you remember about any issues you had when porting?

--Hannes

On 5/20/15, Paolo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi, it was me.
> I think original sources were the latest ones from squeak/pharo at that
> time.
>
> Regards
>
> Paolo
>
> Inviato da iPhone
>
>> Il giorno 20/mag/2015, alle ore 07:12, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]>
>> ha scritto:
>>
>> Hello
>>
>> Who did this
>>
>>    https://github.com/pmon/Cuis-PetitParser
>>
>> ?
>> What was the original source for porting?
>>
>> Did it come from here
>>    http://www.smalltalkhub.com
>> ?
>>
>> quite a number of options there.
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Hannes

Re: Cuis-PetitParser?

Paolo-2
I will check tonight and write back here.

Paolo

Inviato da iPhone

> Il giorno 20/mag/2015, alle ore 07:40, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> ha scritto:
>
> Thanks Paolo,
>
> Do you remember about any issues you had when porting?
>
> --Hannes
>
>> On 5/20/15, Paolo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi, it was me.
>> I think original sources were the latest ones from squeak/pharo at that
>> time.
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Paolo
>>
>> Inviato da iPhone
>>
>>> Il giorno 20/mag/2015, alle ore 07:12, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]>
>>> ha scritto:
>>>
>>> Hello
>>>
>>> Who did this
>>>
>>>   https://github.com/pmon/Cuis-PetitParser
>>>
>>> ?
>>> What was the original source for porting?
>>>
>>> Did it come from here
>>>   http://www.smalltalkhub.com
>>> ?
>>>
>>> quite a number of options there.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>>
>>> Hannes

Re: Cuis-PetitParser?

Casey Ransberger-2
Hey everybody,

We should *absolutely* have both PetitParser and OMeta available to us IMO. They're both worth porting for different reasons.

PetitParser seems to be (reportedly) faster than the current versions of OMeta, but the real advantage it has is fitting into the

> On May 19, 2015, at 10:12 PM, "H. Hirzel" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello
>
> Who did this
>
>    https://github.com/pmon/Cuis-PetitParser
>
> ?
> What was the original source for porting?
>
> Did it come from here
>    http://www.smalltalkhub.com
> ?
>
> quite a number of options there.
>
> Regards
>
> Hannes

Re: Cuis-PetitParser?

Paolo-2
Hi, unfortunately I was not able to find any note in my pc ... I was hoping for it.
I loaded the code in a stable image (4.2-1766) and runned the tests … all green! for my surprise.

My memory is not so good but I think the most relevant issues I had were:
1. identify the minimal core packages to port -> you already should have the list because I documented in the README
2. a few tests were giving errors and I had lots of time spent figuring what was the reason -  please remember I was (and still I am) an hobbist without any real experience in smalltalk - and I think the issues were all related to String or Character protocol that in Cuis was/is different than the Squeak/Pharo one. I was forced to rewrite the failing code using Cuis protocol when  I spotted the issue

I am sorry for not being able to add more details, hope this can help anyway.

ciao

Paolo

> Il giorno 20/mag/2015, alle ore 07:54, Paolo <[hidden email]> ha scritto:
>
> I will check tonight and write back here.
>
> Paolo
>
> Inviato da iPhone
>
>> Il giorno 20/mag/2015, alle ore 07:40, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> ha scritto:
>>
>> Thanks Paolo,
>>
>> Do you remember about any issues you had when porting?
>>
>> --Hannes
>>
>>> On 5/20/15, Paolo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi, it was me.
>>> I think original sources were the latest ones from squeak/pharo at that
>>> time.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>>
>>> Paolo
>>>
>>> Inviato da iPhone

Re: Cuis-PetitParser?

Hannes Hirzel
Hello Paolo

thank you for the report. This is helpful for me see the impact.
Together what is in https://github.com/pmon/Cuis-PetitParser I'll have
enough clues to give one of the recent versions of the parser and some
of the example grammars a try.

http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~Moose/PetitParser/commits

Ciao

Giovanni :-)