Cuis and mobile devices

garduino
Hi Guys:

In the home page of Cuis says: It is also portable to any platform,
fast and efficient. This means it is a great tool for running on any
hardware, ranging from phones and tablets up to personal computers and
servers.

What are the ideas for use Cuis in such mobile platforms? The use of
CogDroid vm is the first that comes to my mind, but just wanted to
know the ideas/plans/etc for use Cuis as an unique developer tool and
deploy in different (mobile) platforms.

--
Sincerely,
Germán Arduino

Re: Cuis and mobile devices

Juan Vuletich-4
Hi Germán,

On 12/02/2013 10:20 a.m., Germán Arduino wrote:

> Hi Guys:
>
> In the home page of Cuis says: It is also portable to any platform,
> fast and efficient. This means it is a great tool for running on any
> hardware, ranging from phones and tablets up to personal computers and
> servers.
>
> What are the ideas for use Cuis in such mobile platforms? The use of
> CogDroid vm is the first that comes to my mind, but just wanted to
> know the ideas/plans/etc for use Cuis as an unique developer tool and
> deploy in different (mobile) platforms.

Some ideas (that might also apply to Squeak) are:
- The VM is portable. It can run on any 32-bit architecture. For
example, Android and iOS (there are already Squeak apps for these
platforms).
- The UI framework is simplified with the explicit purpose of enabling
developers to do whatever UI look and feel they need. For example,
mimicking any such native apps.
- Some Cuis specific features to ease use on non-PC systems. For
example: #hugeFonts, #smallFonts, tap&hold top open menus.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

Re: Cuis and mobile devices

garduino
Ok, Juan, clear enough.

Thanks.

2013/2/13 Juan Vuletich <[hidden email]>:

> Hi Germán,
>

> On 12/02/2013 10:20 a.m., Germán Arduino wrote:
>>
>> Hi Guys:
>>
>> In the home page of Cuis says: It is also portable to any platform,
>> fast and efficient. This means it is a great tool for running on any
>> hardware, ranging from phones and tablets up to personal computers and
>> servers.
>>
>> What are the ideas for use Cuis in such mobile platforms? The use of
>> CogDroid vm is the first that comes to my mind, but just wanted to
>> know the ideas/plans/etc for use Cuis as an unique developer tool and
>> deploy in different (mobile) platforms.
>

> Some ideas (that might also apply to Squeak) are:
> - The VM is portable. It can run on any 32-bit architecture. For example,
> Android and iOS (there are already Squeak apps for these platforms).
> - The UI framework is simplified with the explicit purpose of enabling
> developers to do whatever UI look and feel they need. For example, mimicking
> any such native apps.
> - Some Cuis specific features to ease use on non-PC systems. For example:
> #hugeFonts, #smallFonts, tap&hold top open menus.
>
> Cheers,
> Juan Vuletich

Sincerely,
Germán Arduino
about.me/garduino

Re: Cuis and mobile devices

Bruce O'Neel-2

I run cuis with the Cog VM on my Android phone and
tablet downloaded from here:

http://code.google.com/p/squeakvm-tablet/wiki/JenkinsBuilds

The catch is that the Pharo people are in the midst of moving
their Jenkin's builds, and the CogDroid build isn't running, and,
alas, you can't download it.

But, if you were to do that, and, use a stock standard Cuis 1511
image/changes, it will almost work.

If you file in the attached change set which changes a touch
how the sources and changes file is found then it works fine.

You can run Pharo, Squeak, or Cuis.  Cuis is the best at the
moment because the menu structure is a bit simplier and it works
better, for me, on touch devices.

The Apple iDevice world will be a touch more complex.
John Mcintosh did a port of the VM, so, it can work.  Apple store
approval policies make this more of a problem.

cheers

bruce

On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 10:20:25AM -0300, Germán Arduino wrote:

> Hi Guys:
>
> In the home page of Cuis says: It is also portable to any platform,
> fast and efficient. This means it is a great tool for running on any
> hardware, ranging from phones and tablets up to personal computers and
> servers.
>
> What are the ideas for use Cuis in such mobile platforms? The use of
> CogDroid vm is the first that comes to my mind, but just wanted to
> know the ideas/plans/etc for use Cuis as an unique developer tool and
> deploy in different (mobile) platforms.
>

> --
> Sincerely,
> Germán Arduino
> about.me/garduino

1517-CuisCore-BruceONeel-2013Jan07-14h52m-BEO.1.cs (1K) Download Attachment

Re: Cuis and mobile devices

garduino
Thanks for the hints Bruce!

I will try CogDroid as soon as I can steal the Android phone of my
youngest son :)

Cheers.
Germán.

2013/2/13 Bruce O'Neel <[hidden email]>:

> Hi,
>
> I run cuis with the Cog VM on my Android phone and
> tablet downloaded from here:
>
> http://code.google.com/p/squeakvm-tablet/wiki/JenkinsBuilds
>
> The catch is that the Pharo people are in the midst of moving
> their Jenkin's builds, and the CogDroid build isn't running, and,
> alas, you can't download it.
>
> But, if you were to do that, and, use a stock standard Cuis 1511
> image/changes, it will almost work.
>
> If you file in the attached change set which changes a touch
> how the sources and changes file is found then it works fine.
>
> You can run Pharo, Squeak, or Cuis.  Cuis is the best at the
> moment because the menu structure is a bit simplier and it works
> better, for me, on touch devices.
>
> The Apple iDevice world will be a touch more complex.
> John Mcintosh did a port of the VM, so, it can work.  Apple store
> approval policies make this more of a problem.
>
> cheers
>
> bruce
>

> On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 10:20:25AM -0300, Germán Arduino wrote:
>> Hi Guys:
>>
>> In the home page of Cuis says: It is also portable to any platform,
>> fast and efficient. This means it is a great tool for running on any
>> hardware, ranging from phones and tablets up to personal computers and
>> servers.
>>
>> What are the ideas for use Cuis in such mobile platforms? The use of
>> CogDroid vm is the first that comes to my mind, but just wanted to
>> know the ideas/plans/etc for use Cuis as an unique developer tool and
>> deploy in different (mobile) platforms.
>>

>> --
>> Sincerely,
>> Germán Arduino