Current Development Environment Setup

Philippe Marschall
Hi

I'd like to hit the ground running at ESUG and arrive with a working
development environment for at ESUG. I'd appreciate it if somebody
could answer me the following questions
- What is the recommended Pharo Version on macOS X? I'm using
PharoLauncher to download 6.1 32 bit and ignore the warnings.
Downloading 6.1 directly results in corrupt files
- How do I checkout the code and load it into the image? My last
information was that both Grease and Seaside as FileTree repositories,
and that Grease is metadata-less. Is this still correct? Should I
check out using git and then add the Monticello repositories or should
I use Metacello? Should I use Iceberg or rather not?

Cheers
Philippe

Re: Current Development Environment Setup

Johan Brichau-2

On 4 Sep 2018, at 11:54, Philippe Marschall <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi

I'd like to hit the ground running at ESUG and arrive with a working
development environment for at ESUG. I'd appreciate it if somebody
could answer me the following questions
- What is the recommended Pharo Version on macOS X? I'm using
PharoLauncher to download 6.1 32 bit and ignore the warnings.
Downloading 6.1 directly results in corrupt files

I’m using 6.1 64-bit (direct downloads) and 7 (via PharoLauncher).

Pharo 7 version of Seaside is WIP: https://github.com/SeasideSt/Seaside/tree/pharo7
Also mind that some changes to master have not been added to develop yet: https://github.com/SeasideSt/Seaside/pull/989

- How do I checkout the code and load it into the image? My last
information was that both Grease and Seaside as FileTree repositories,
and that Grease is metadata-less. Is this still correct?

Correct, except that Grease is metadataless only for the Pharo7 package (since I did that with Iceberg).
Unfortunately, that makes it unloadable in Pharo3-4 as well.

Should I
check out using git and then add the Monticello repositories or should
I use Metacello? Should I use Iceberg or rather not?

Using Iceberg means: metadataless and thus we drop support for a number of platforms.

TBD?

Johan

On Tue, Sep 4, 2018 at 12:59 PM Johan Brichau <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 4 Sep 2018, at 11:54, Philippe Marschall <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi
>
> I'd like to hit the ground running at ESUG and arrive with a working
> development environment for at ESUG. I'd appreciate it if somebody
> could answer me the following questions
> - What is the recommended Pharo Version on macOS X? I'm using
> PharoLauncher to download 6.1 32 bit and ignore the warnings.
> Downloading 6.1 directly results in corrupt files
>

> I’m using 6.1 64-bit (direct downloads) and 7 (via PharoLauncher).
>
> Pharo 7 version of Seaside is WIP: https://github.com/SeasideSt/Seaside/tree/pharo7
> Also mind that some changes to master have not been added to develop yet: https://github.com/SeasideSt/Seaside/pull/989
>
> - How do I checkout the code and load it into the image? My last
> information was that both Grease and Seaside as FileTree repositories,
> and that Grease is metadata-less. Is this still correct?
>

> Correct, except that Grease is metadataless only for the Pharo7 package (since I did that with Iceberg).
> Unfortunately, that makes it unloadable in Pharo3-4 as well.
>
> Should I
> check out using git and then add the Monticello repositories or should
> I use Metacello? Should I use Iceberg or rather not?
>

> Using Iceberg means: metadataless and thus we drop support for a number of platforms.

Thanks for the info, that helps. Do you know which platforms that would be?

Cheers
Philippe

Re: Current Development Environment Setup

CyrilFerlicot
Le 05/09/2018 à 13:41, Philippe Marschall a écrit :
>> Using Iceberg means: metadataless and thus we drop support for a number of platforms.
>
> Thanks for the info, that helps. Do you know which platforms that would be?

Hi,

On Pharo side, metadataless is supported by Pharo 5 to 7 IIRC. So the
drop would be for Pharo < 5.

> Cheers
> Philippe

Cyril Ferlicot
https://ferlicot.fr

Re: Current Development Environment Setup

Tobias Pape
Hi Philippe

> On 05.09.2018, at 13:41, Philippe Marschall <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Sep 4, 2018 at 12:59 PM Johan Brichau <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> On 4 Sep 2018, at 11:54, Philippe Marschall <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> I'd like to hit the ground running at ESUG and arrive with a working
>> development environment for at ESUG. I'd appreciate it if somebody
>> could answer me the following questions
>> - What is the recommended Pharo Version on macOS X? I'm using
>> PharoLauncher to download 6.1 32 bit and ignore the warnings.
>> Downloading 6.1 directly results in corrupt files
>>

>> I’m using 6.1 64-bit (direct downloads) and 7 (via PharoLauncher).
>>
>> Pharo 7 version of Seaside is WIP: https://github.com/SeasideSt/Seaside/tree/pharo7
>> Also mind that some changes to master have not been added to develop yet: https://github.com/SeasideSt/Seaside/pull/989
>>
>> - How do I checkout the code and load it into the image? My last
>> information was that both Grease and Seaside as FileTree repositories,
>> and that Grease is metadata-less. Is this still correct?
>>

>> Correct, except that Grease is metadataless only for the Pharo7 package (since I did that with Iceberg).
>> Unfortunately, that makes it unloadable in Pharo3-4 as well.
>>
>> Should I
>> check out using git and then add the Monticello repositories or should
>> I use Metacello? Should I use Iceberg or rather not?
>>

>> Using Iceberg means: metadataless and thus we drop support for a number of platforms.
>
> Thanks for the info, that helps. Do you know which platforms that would be?

For Squeak deployment metadataless works.
For Squeak development, metadataless won't (currently) work in any version.

Best regards
        -Tobias

Re: Current Development Environment Setup

Johan Brichau-2
Philippe,

For Seaside, I’m inclined to say we can go ahead dropping support for metadataless platforms on a new release.
For Grease, it has happened already :0 (but I was keeping an idea on fixing that if required).

Basically, if anyone wants to use latest version of Seaside/Grease on older platforms, it’s the supporting packages like Filetree others that require updating.
Dale made a good point here that it should be feasible: https://github.com/hpi-swa/smalltalkCI/issues/334#issuecomment-342575918

However, it seems that filetree also poses issues on Windows (file names too long) and we should rather move to Tonel format.
Tonel also works a lot quicker checking out the repo and switching branches because of it requires far fewer files.

But I have not tried to use Tonel on Gemstone, for starters.
So, hoping to know a bit more about this at ESUG.

cheers,
Johan

On 5 Sep 2018, at 14:09, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

As I picked up pharo7 work again after my holidays, I remember I did the pharo7 branch using Iceberg as well.
So: no metadata anymore in that branch either ;)

We can decide to redo the changes in metadatafull filetree or we can decide to drop support.

I will hold off merging in the branch (and there are some failing tests to fix first anyway).

cheers
Johan

ps: I will arrive Sunday evening but need to spend half a day at Rome airport before that. I will probably try to get some work done on Seaside at that time,
ps2: I’m always on the Slack channel