Custom "to do" messages?

Griff-2
What kind of custom "to do" messages are being discussed in this
thread?

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.smalltalk.dolphin/browse_thread/thread/ab7f76d30673eb02/?hl=en#

Re: Custom "to do" messages?

Ian Bartholomew-21
On 15 Jul 2006 21:45:21 -0700, "Griff" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>What kind of custom "to do" messages are being discussed in this
>thread?

It's just a convenient way of tagging a method to remind yourself that
it needs to be revisited.  If you open up a Dolphin class browser,
select the menu "Methods/References to/Message" and enter todo into
the dialog you will see all the methods that OA have tagged.

You don't have to *define* anything to use this technique, just enter
a memorable Symbol into a method, usually with a comment to indicate
why it is being tagged, and you can later search for references to it.
--
Ian

Use the Reply-To address to contact me (limited validity).

Re: Custom "to do" messages?

Tim M
> You don't have to *define* anything to use this technique, just enter
> a memorable Symbol into a method, usually with a comment to indicate
> why it is being tagged, and you can later search for references to it.

Another excellent way of finding them is to add a virtual category to your
browsers (Chris and Steve pointed this out in a confusingly named D6 and
Spray Web Services Toolkit thread - many thanks guys this was an awesome
tip).

Do something like the following (replacing #halt with your special todo symbol):

    cat := PluggableVirtualMethodCategory
          newNamed: (PluggableVirtualMethodCategory pseudPrefix , 'has #halt')
          withFilter: [:it | it messages includes: #halt].
    MethodCategory addPseud:cat.

It won't find all of your messages in one go (for that use a references search)
- but its nice for a handy todo list on a particular class or hierarchy.

Tim