Customization of registration mechanisms

Customization of registration mechanisms

Michael Rueger-6
Hi all,

in light of recent discussions about preferences/settings and menu
registration I would like a favorite issue I have with all automagic
mechanisms: how to customize them.

For sake of argument imagine loading a vastly enhanced (bloated ;-) )
version of my Yaxo XML package, having setting pragmas or menu
registration adding "try to parse as xml", "pretty print to xml" or
other "useful" items to menus and a couple of equally useful settings to
the settings.

If I now want to not have these items show up in my menus or in the
settings editor, how do I do this without editing code, thus creating a
fork of the package?

In Sophie the content of menus was explicitly configured (not in a nice
way, but nevertheless) in a preference/external xml file.

Basically what I am suggesting is that regardless of how the automagic
registration works, there needs to be a way to override it somewhere,
preferably through some setting entries.

Comments? Ideas? Suggestions?

Michael

Re: Customization of registration mechanisms

Stéphane Ducasse
I agree now we could do it in a second step.
I'm really curious to see alain code integrated.