Customizing GTSpotter

kilon.alios
I want customize GTSpotter so when it's called upon a specific morph has a different behavior. Because I will be building a node system I want to search only through nodes and sort them to categories. In essence I will be building a visual coding language very similar to Unreal's Blueprints. Can GTSpotter do this in a easy way ? I have read human assessment blog posts on GTSpotter but they focus on extending it than modifying it's basic behavior. Basically I want a secondary GTSpotter with heavily customized behavior.

Re: Customizing GTSpotter

Nicolai Hess-3-2
Hi Dimitris,
I don't know what you mean with
"called upon a specific morph", but you can use Spotter to do "local" searches.

For example, inspecting an array or a Morph or CompiledMethod and look at the "Search"-Icon (upper right corner). It will open a Spotter window for this object.
It lets you search the items of the array, the submorphs of the morph or in the bytecode of the compiled method.

I want customize GTSpotter so when it's called upon a specific morph has a different behavior. Because I will be building a node system I want to search only through nodes and sort them to categories. In essence I will be building a visual coding language very similar to Unreal's Blueprints. Can GTSpotter do this in a easy way ? I have read human assessment blog posts on GTSpotter but they focus on extending it than modifying it's basic behavior. Basically I want a secondary GTSpotter with heavily customized behavior.

Re: Customizing GTSpotter

kilon.alios
Yes sorry I need to be more specific .

What I am trying to create is a visual programming language for Pharo and Blender inspired by Unreal's Blueprint language

here is how it looks

http://s11.postimg.org/5lum5o2cj/French_BP.jpg

The nice thing about Blueprint besides being a full blown programming language is that is very convenient to use for those that prefer to type. So unlike Phratch you dont drag and drop nodes (this boxes you see) instead you right click in the Blueprint area and a pop up box similar to GTSpotter appears, where is shows you all available nodes in categories , and like GTSpotter it allows you to do searches that can be refined.

Another cool feature is when you drag a cable from the inputs or outputs of a node to connect it with another node the search box will appear again but this time will has refined search results depending on the type of the node and the type of its input and output.

Here how it looks

http://s11.postimg.org/5lum5o2cj/French_BP.jpg

Now I think I have figured out how to do this
a) capture shift-enter on top of the morph i will be using as the node area (thats what I meant by "upon the morph)  and right click for opening a GTSpotter that will be customised to search only nodes and do the things I described above

b) nodes will be basically pharo methods with a dedicated pragma that will provide information about the type of node, its category, its outputs and inputs and of course the type of the outputs and inputs.

c) Then the search of GTSpotter will start always from filtering those methods that contain this pragma.

With what you mentioned and my study of GTSpotter extentions I think I have managed to figure out how to do this, so thank you.

On Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 10:17 AM Nicolai Hess <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

oops , i copy pasted the same link two times :D

second link is this

https://cdn2.unrealengine.com/blog/screen1-624x295-1027286209.png