Cyclic prerequisites

Ingo Blank
Hi,

I modified a _background color_ in the default view resource of an existing
package,
that works without any problems. (Ian's snooper for the curious...).

Now, the red package changed marker becomes active, and I try to save the
change.
But surprise, I get a complain about cyclic prerequisites ?
How that ? Because of a changed color ?

Ingo

Re: Cyclic prerequisites

Ingo Blank
Addendum:

And even more surprisingly:
After image shutdown *without* saving, and restarting, I repeated the
mentioned steps. With success ! No complains.

Ingo

"Ingo Blank" <[hidden email]> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:3af25641$0$24143$[hidden email]...
> Hi,
>
> I modified a _background color_ in the default view resource of an
existing

> package,
> that works without any problems. (Ian's snooper for the curious...).
>
> Now, the red package changed marker becomes active, and I try to save the
> change.
> But surprise, I get a complain about cyclic prerequisites ?
> How that ? Because of a changed color ?
>

> Ingo

Re: Cyclic prerequisites

Dmitry Zamotkin-2
I suppose you changed first time something else too. I wonder what was in
prerequisites at first...

Dmitry Zamotkin

"Ingo Blank" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:3af25a19$0$7995$[hidden email]...

> Addendum:
>
> And even more surprisingly:
> After image shutdown *without* saving, and restarting, I repeated the
> mentioned steps. With success ! No complains.
>
> Ingo
>
> "Ingo Blank" <[hidden email]> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> news:3af25641$0$24143$[hidden email]...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I modified a _background color_ in the default view resource of an
> existing
> > package,
> > that works without any problems. (Ian's snooper for the curious...).
> >
> > Now, the red package changed marker becomes active, and I try to save
the

> > change.
> > But surprise, I get a complain about cyclic prerequisites ?
> > How that ? Because of a changed color ?
> >

> > Ingo

Re: Cyclic prerequisites

Ingo Blank
Dmitry ,

> I suppose you changed first time something else too

Definitely not.
All I changed was a color in a resource.

> I wonder what was in
> prerequisites at first...

IDB Snoop
  +- Development System
       +-Dolphin
  +-Dolphin
  +-IDB Common
     +-Development System
     +-Dolphin
     +-WindowsShell
         +-Dolphin
         +-OLE COM

BTW, in the meantime the mentioned behavior repeated on other packages and I
could *always* work around with restarting and *exactly* redoing... !??

Ingo

> "Ingo Blank" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
> news:3af25a19$0$7995$[hidden email]...
> > Addendum:
> >
> > And even more surprisingly:
> > After image shutdown *without* saving, and restarting, I repeated the
> > mentioned steps. With success ! No complains.
> >
> > Ingo
> >
> > "Ingo Blank" <[hidden email]> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> > news:3af25641$0$24143$[hidden email]...
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I modified a _background color_ in the default view resource of an
> > existing
> > > package,
> > > that works without any problems. (Ian's snooper for the curious...).
> > >
> > > Now, the red package changed marker becomes active, and I try to save
> the
> > > change.
> > > But surprise, I get a complain about cyclic prerequisites ?
> > > How that ? Because of a changed color ?
> > >

> > > Ingo

Re: Cyclic prerequisites

Ian Bartholomew
Ingo,

> BTW, in the meantime the mentioned behavior repeated on other packages and
> I could *always* work around with restarting and *exactly* redoing... !??

Were they _only_ packages containing my goodies?. I can't say I've seen that
problem myself but you never know.  If it was then I'd appreciate a post or
mail describing a way of reproducing it (I copied the description in your
original post and didn't see any prereq errors).

However, if you keep seeing this then I would suggest you junk your
current image and start again with a clean one.   It does sound as if
something is not quite right.  You might even spot a previously hidden
problem with a package when you reload them into the new image.

Ian

Re: Cyclic prerequisites

Ingo Blank
> Were they _only_ packages containing my goodies?. I can't say I've seen
that
> problem myself but you never know.  If it was then I'd appreciate a post
or
> mail describing a way of reproducing it

Ian,

no that problem doesn't affect only your goodies. It seems to be of a more
"general" nature.

I already considered, that it might be a good idea to start a fresh image.

Thanks

Ingo

Re: Cyclic prerequisites

Andy Bower
Ingo,

> no that problem doesn't affect only your goodies. It seems to be of a more
> "general" nature.
>
> I already considered, that it might be a good idea to start a fresh image.

I'd be extremely surprised if the single change to a background colour could
affect the package prerequisites. I think that it is much more likely that
you had a prerequisite problem in your image before the change but you just
didn't notice it because you never had cause to try and save that particular
package before. Anyway, I might be wrong, so if you do see the problem again
and can post the steps to reproduce it then we'll definitely take a look.

Best Regards

Andy Bower
Dolphin Support
http://www.object-arts.com/Support.htm