Cycling Through Open Windows Using Key Combination

Cycling Through Open Windows Using Key Combination

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
Hi,

Is there a key combination to cycle through open windows ?

I am using Apple-Tab a lot to cycle between open applications on my Mac, and Apple-~ to cycle between open windows in one application. I would love to be able to do something similar inside Pharo.

9 changes out of 10 somebody already did this, maybe it is even in the image.

Thx,

Sven

--
Sven Van Caekenberghe
http://stfx.eu

On 04 Apr 2013, at 12:17, S Krish <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I did a little hack to get that with CTRL+W. will need to dig out the hack code and can send it over..

OK, but doesn't that key combination close a window ?
Anyway, looking forward to it.

> On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 3:45 PM, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there a key combination to cycle through open windows ?
>
> I am using Apple-Tab a lot to cycle between open applications on my Mac, and Apple-~ to cycle between open windows in one application. I would love to be able to do something similar inside Pharo.
>
> 9 changes out of 10 somebody already did this, maybe it is even in the image.
>
> Thx,
>
> Sven
>

> --
> Sven Van Caekenberghe
> http://stfx.eu
> Smalltalk is the Red Pill

Re: Cycling Through Open Windows Using Key Combination

Esteban A. Maringolo
Yes, CTRL-W is close window or close tab in a multidocument window in MS Windows.

Regards,

ps: Yes, I said windows lots of times. :)

Esteban A. Maringolo

2013/4/4 Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]>

On 04 Apr 2013, at 12:17, S Krish <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I did a little hack to get that with CTRL+W. will need to dig out the hack code and can send it over..

OK, but doesn't that key combination close a window ?
Anyway, looking forward to it.

> On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 3:45 PM, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there a key combination to cycle through open windows ?
>
> I am using Apple-Tab a lot to cycle between open applications on my Mac, and Apple-~ to cycle between open windows in one application. I would love to be able to do something similar inside Pharo.
>
> 9 changes out of 10 somebody already did this, maybe it is even in the image.
>
> Thx,
>
> Sven
>

> --
> Sven Van Caekenberghe
> http://stfx.eu
> Smalltalk is the Red Pill

Re: Cycling Through Open Windows Using Key Combination

Guillermo Polito
In mac there is cmd+left arrow, and cmd+right arrow... It sometimes bother me more than how useful it is, so I don't use it often...

On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 2:08 PM, Esteban A. Maringolo <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yes, CTRL-W is close window or close tab in a multidocument window in MS Windows.

Regards,

ps: Yes, I said windows lots of times. :)

Esteban A. Maringolo

2013/4/4 Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]>

On 04 Apr 2013, at 12:17, S Krish <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I did a little hack to get that with CTRL+W. will need to dig out the hack code and can send it over..

OK, but doesn't that key combination close a window ?
Anyway, looking forward to it.

> On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 3:45 PM, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there a key combination to cycle through open windows ?
>
> I am using Apple-Tab a lot to cycle between open applications on my Mac, and Apple-~ to cycle between open windows in one application. I would love to be able to do something similar inside Pharo.
>
> 9 changes out of 10 somebody already did this, maybe it is even in the image.
>
> Thx,
>
> Sven
>

> --
> Sven Van Caekenberghe
> http://stfx.eu
> Smalltalk is the Red Pill

Re: Cycling Through Open Windows Using Key Combination

Benjamin Van Ryseghem (Pharo)
alt+tab / alt+shift+tab

Ben

On Apr 4, 2013, at 2:08 PM, "Esteban A. Maringolo" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Yes, CTRL-W is close window or close tab in a multidocument window in MS Windows.

Regards,

ps: Yes, I said windows lots of times. :)

Esteban A. Maringolo

2013/4/4 Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]>

On 04 Apr 2013, at 12:17, S Krish <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I did a little hack to get that with CTRL+W. will need to dig out the hack code and can send it over..

OK, but doesn't that key combination close a window ?
Anyway, looking forward to it.

> On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 3:45 PM, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there a key combination to cycle through open windows ?
>
> I am using Apple-Tab a lot to cycle between open applications on my Mac, and Apple-~ to cycle between open windows in one application. I would love to be able to do something similar inside Pharo.
>
> 9 changes out of 10 somebody already did this, maybe it is even in the image.
>
> Thx,
>
> Sven
>

> --
> Sven Van Caekenberghe
> http://stfx.eu
> Smalltalk is the Red Pill

Re: Cycling Through Open Windows Using Key Combination

S Krish
It was CTRL + tab in the Pharo 1.4

This hack was to override Morph>>tabKey: eventĀ

in that execute a new method block [ World tabOpenWindows: event ].

PasteUpMorph>>
tabOpenWindows: aKeyboardEvent

| currentFocus index |

currentFocus := aKeyboardEvent hand keyboardFocus.
SystemWindow noteTopeWindowIn: self.
System topWindow sendToBack.

this did work well in 1.4 but in 2.0 there is an override to key handling with KMDispatcher >> dispatchKeystroke: aKeyEvent that not so clearly ends up handling CTRL+tabĀ

Need to check and revert if that hack can be plugged on to 2.0 trivially.

On 04 Apr 2013, at 14:16, Benjamin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> alt+tab / alt+shift+tab
>
> Ben

Yes, you once told me that already if I remember correctly.
But it acts weird (does not always come up, unpredictable timeout, no next-next-next, slow).
Actually, the action 'Make next-to-topmost' from the WIndow menu is more or less what I want: cycle *quickly* between my main windows, usually 2.

> On Apr 4, 2013, at 2:08 PM, "Esteban A. Maringolo" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Yes, CTRL-W is close window or close tab in a multidocument window in MS Windows.
>>
>> Regards,
>>

>> ps: Yes, I said windows lots of times. :)
>>
>> Esteban A. Maringolo
>>

>> 2013/4/4 Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]>
>>
>> On 04 Apr 2013, at 12:17, S Krish <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> > I did a little hack to get that with CTRL+W. will need to dig out the hack code and can send it over..
>>
>> OK, but doesn't that key combination close a window ?
>> Anyway, looking forward to it.
>>
>> > On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 3:45 PM, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > Is there a key combination to cycle through open windows ?
>> >
>> > I am using Apple-Tab a lot to cycle between open applications on my Mac, and Apple-~ to cycle between open windows in one application. I would love to be able to do something similar inside Pharo.
>> >
>> > 9 changes out of 10 somebody already did this, maybe it is even in the image.
>> >
>> > Thx,
>> >
>> > Sven
>> >

>> > --
>> > Sven Van Caekenberghe
>> > http://stfx.eu
>> > Smalltalk is the Red Pill

Re: Cycling Through Open Windows Using Key Combination

Benjamin Van Ryseghem (Pharo)
Yes, I want to kill this with a huge sledge hammer (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g93mz_eZ5N4) to make it usable :)
( I was forced to wait to 2.0 release ^^ )

Ben