Czar gift from IBM ;-)

Victor Metelitsa [cssc/zsavs/p2]

I got this from from IBM  newsgroup:
Hello everyone,

DB2 Express-C, a version of DB2 Express for the community, is a
**no-charge** data server that offers a solid base to build and deploy all
applications including C/C++, Java, .NET, PHP, and more.

DB2 Express-C is available on Linux and Windows running on 32 or 64 bit
hardware with up to 2 CPUs and 4GB of memory.  There is no database size
limit, no limit on the number of instances or databases per server, and no
restrictions on the number of users.

For more details, check out the DB2 Express Web site:
http://www.ibm.com/db2/express

Or download it now!
http://www.ibm.com/software/data/db2/udb/db2express/download.html

A new forum:
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/forums/dw_forum.jsp?forum=805&cat=19
**hosted and monitored by DB2 experts**, has also been introduced to provide
free community based support for DB2 Express-C and DB2 Express.

Regards,

Raul F. Chong
IBM DB2 UDB Express Community Facilitator
Email: [hidden email]

Re: Czar gift from IBM ;-)

Charles A. Monteiro-2
Interesting, are the limitations only restricted to hardware i.e. cpu and
ram?

How would this compare to something like MySql , Postgres, not taking into
account of course , the hardware limitations already discussed.

thanks

-Charles

Charles A. Monteiro

Re: Czar gift from IBM ;-)

Mark Pirogovsky-3
Apparently this is the IBM's answer to their rivals such as Oracle (see
http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/database/xe/index.html
http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-5920796.html) , MS and OPen sources
like PostgreSQL or MySql.

I think that it makes a lot of sense for the people who uses DB2 as a
back end database - it simplifies the developing software for the DB2
environment and allows the delivery of "turn key" solutions using
database from the big vendor, thus alleviating clients fears of the open
source.

Another note: their limitations on the memory and  CPUs, are such that
it looks like that that database would be able to handle quite big
applications. Besides that 4GB of RAM is all you can USE on the WinXP or
win 2003 without specialized tweaks, anyway (actually I think it is even
less - about 3.2 GB)

-Mark

Victor Metelitsa [cssc/zsavs/p2] wrote:

> I got this from from IBM  newsgroup:
> Hello everyone,
>
> DB2 Express-C, a version of DB2 Express for the community, is a
> **no-charge** data server that offers a solid base to build and deploy
> all applications including C/C++, Java, .NET, PHP, and more.
>
> DB2 Express-C is available on Linux and Windows running on 32 or 64 bit
> hardware with up to 2 CPUs and 4GB of memory.  There is no database size
> limit, no limit on the number of instances or databases per server, and
> no restrictions on the number of users.
>
> For more details, check out the DB2 Express Web site:
> http://www.ibm.com/db2/express
>
> Or download it now!
> http://www.ibm.com/software/data/db2/udb/db2express/download.html
>
> A new forum:
> http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/forums/dw_forum.jsp?forum=805&cat=19
> **hosted and monitored by DB2 experts**, has also been introduced to
> provide free community based support for DB2 Express-C and DB2 Express.
>
> Regards,
>
> Raul F. Chong
> IBM DB2 UDB Express Community Facilitator
> Email: [hidden email]

Re: Czar gift from IBM ;-)

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
Mark Pirogovsky wrote:
> Another note: their limitations on the memory and  CPUs, are such that
> it looks like that that database would be able to handle quite big
> applications. Besides that 4GB of RAM is all you can USE on the WinXP
> or win 2003 without specialized tweaks, anyway (actually I think it is
> even less - about 3.2 GB)

That depends on your edition of Server 2003

    Standard: 4GB
    Enterprise, Datacenter: 64GB
    Datacenter x64: 1TB

But surely 4GB is more than enough for a good chunk of applications, so
this is definitely a good move on IBM's part.

Cheers!

-Boris

> -Mark
>
> Victor Metelitsa [cssc/zsavs/p2] wrote:
>

>> I got this from from IBM  newsgroup:
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> DB2 Express-C, a version of DB2 Express for the community, is a
>> **no-charge** data server that offers a solid base to build and
>> deploy all applications including C/C++, Java, .NET, PHP, and more.
>>
>> DB2 Express-C is available on Linux and Windows running on 32 or 64
>> bit hardware with up to 2 CPUs and 4GB of memory.  There is no
>> database size limit, no limit on the number of instances or databases
>> per server, and no restrictions on the number of users.
>>
>> For more details, check out the DB2 Express Web site:
>> http://www.ibm.com/db2/express
>>
>> Or download it now!
>> http://www.ibm.com/software/data/db2/udb/db2express/download.html
>>
>> A new forum:
>> http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/forums/dw_forum.jsp?forum=805&cat=19
>> **hosted and monitored by DB2 experts**, has also been introduced to
>> provide free community based support for DB2 Express-C and DB2 Express.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Raul F. Chong
>> IBM DB2 UDB Express Community Facilitator
>> Email: [hidden email]

-Boris

--
+1.604.689.0322
DeepCove Labs Ltd.

[hidden email]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

attachments.

Thank you.

Re: Czar gift from IBM ;-)

Victor Metelitsa [cssc/zsavs/p2]
For compare, MS and Oracle Express products has 2GB database size limit.

> Apparently this is the IBM's answer to their rivals such as Oracle (see
> http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/database/xe/index.html
> http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-5920796.html) , MS and OPen sources
> like PostgreSQL or MySql.
>
> I think that it makes a lot of sense for the people who uses DB2 as a back
> end database - it simplifies the developing software for the DB2
> environment and allows the delivery of "turn key" solutions using database
> from the big vendor, thus alleviating clients fears of the open source.
>
> Another note: their limitations on the memory and  CPUs, are such that it
> looks like that that database would be able to handle quite big
> applications. Besides that 4GB of RAM is all you can USE on the WinXP or
> win 2003 without specialized tweaks, anyway (actually I think it is even
> less - about 3.2 GB)
>
> -Mark
>
> Victor Metelitsa [cssc/zsavs/p2] wrote:
>

>> I got this from from IBM  newsgroup:
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> DB2 Express-C, a version of DB2 Express for the community, is a
>> **no-charge** data server that offers a solid base to build and deploy
>> all applications including C/C++, Java, .NET, PHP, and more.
>>
>> DB2 Express-C is available on Linux and Windows running on 32 or 64 bit
>> hardware with up to 2 CPUs and 4GB of memory.  There is no database size
>> limit, no limit on the number of instances or databases per server, and
>> no restrictions on the number of users.
>>
>> For more details, check out the DB2 Express Web site:
>> http://www.ibm.com/db2/express
>>
>> Or download it now!
>> http://www.ibm.com/software/data/db2/udb/db2express/download.html
>>
>> A new forum:
>> http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/forums/dw_forum.jsp?forum=805&cat=19
>> **hosted and monitored by DB2 experts**, has also been introduced to
>> provide free community based support for DB2 Express-C and DB2 Express.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Raul F. Chong
>> IBM DB2 UDB Express Community Facilitator
>> Email: [hidden email]

Re: Czar gift from IBM ;-)

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
Victor Metelitsa [cssc/zsavs/p2] wrote:
> For compare, MS and Oracle Express products has 2GB database size limit.

Not quite, both MS SQL Express and Oracle XE have maximums of 1 CPU, 1GB
RAM and 4GB database size, so I'd say 2 CPUs, 4GB RAM and Unlimited
database size is a huge advantage IBM offers with their new DB2 edition.

Cheers!

-Boris

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Mark Pirogovsky"
> <[hidden email]>

-Boris

--
+1.604.689.0322
DeepCove Labs Ltd.

[hidden email]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

attachments.

Thank you.

RE: Czar gift from IBM ;-)

Sattler, Thomas (IT)
Charles,

You can run Postgres on a 64-bit Linux machine with as much memory as
you want (meaning enough memory to keep your entire database in memory
at all times).  A DB2 database that needs to be read from disk *might*
be faster than this, but I'd tend to doubt it.

--Tom

NOTICE: If received in error, please destroy and notify sender.  Sender does not waive confidentiality or privilege, and use is prohibited.

Re: Czar gift from IBM ;-)

Charles A. Monteiro-2
4 gigs of memory is probably more than enough to keep most boutique
financial shop's stuff in memory i.e. that is our target market and also a
market that is most sensitive to keeping operating costs down, the key
here is flexibility and giving the client choices. Postgres still has the
advantage that its other enterprise tools associated to its db i.e. such
as replication are still free whereas in the case of IBM I'm sure that
there are costs related to add-ons.

-Charles

Charles A. Monteiro

RE: Czar gift from IBM ;-)

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
Surely you would still agree that depending on the type of customers one
targets for their applications, respectable name such as IBM makes for a
much easier sell than an open-source menace such as PostgreSQL ;)

Cheers!

-Boris

--
+1.604.689.0322
DeepCove Labs Ltd.

[hidden email]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

attachments.

Thank you.

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Charles,
>
> You can run Postgres on a 64-bit Linux machine with as much memory as
> you want (meaning enough memory to keep your entire database in memory
> at all times).  A DB2 database that needs to be read from disk *might*
> be faster than this, but I'd tend to doubt it.
>
> --Tom

smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment

Re: Czar gift from IBM ;-)

Charles A. Monteiro-2
sure, I actually had sent a message to one of our partner/clients and I
mentioned the notion of "big blue" think. Big Blue at least when I was
growing up at Florida Power and Light means IBM and "big blue" think is
the notion that you can't go wrong with IBM or that you can't get fired if
you choose IBM :), many of our clients which tend to be small shops,
although we have some (few) major clients, are very cost sensitive however
the personnel tends to come from big shop cultures which is why for
example why they went with Oracle. However, the cost associated to Oracle
is so great that they are screaming to get into Postgres now that it is
receiving much wider acceptance.

Anyhow, for those with "big blue" think , the fact that we make DB2
Express-C an option is definitely a good thing.

-Charles

--
Charles A. Monteiro