D language

philippeback
Anyone having used D to build system-level extensions for Pharo?

TIA,
Phil

Re: D language

kilon.alios
From a basic search it appears that D can generate dynamically linked libraries (DLL , SO, etc) which will be the easiest way to extend pharo using D.

However from a very basic search I did it looks like generating dynamically linked libraries with D is not as straightforward as someone would expect.

http://forum.dlang.org/thread/k3vfm9$1tq$1@...

If you are not bound to D for creating system-level extensions for Pharo you have several options

1) nim language is used by gokr and his company and they use it to extend Squeak

here is a blog post about what nim is

http://hookrace.net/blog/what-is-special-about-nim/

and here is a blog post of gokr about how to get it to work with squeak and pharo

http://goran.krampe.se/2014/11/03/squeak-to-nim/

2) Maybe just maybe you could use Slang , which is basically smalltalk that compiles to C and is what the pharo VM uses a lot. But I am not certain.

PS: Just realised you commented on that blog post so you may be aware of all this, but you can take this as a friendly reminder of your potential solutions :)

On Sun, Dec 13, 2015 at 2:16 AM [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Anyone having used D to build system-level extensions for Pharo?

TIA,
Phil

Re: D language

philippeback
A a C++ developer, I think I can better relate to D.

Yeah, Nim is nice.

I asked about the PyBridge as well (as there is in OpenQwaq|Terf) but no response from Ron so far.

We need more bridges, that's my long term play.

Some decent cash is coming my way, so I hope that I'll be able to devote more time to these projects.
That's always the same story, cash buys time...

Phil

On Sun, Dec 13, 2015 at 11:34 AM, Dimitris Chloupis <[hidden email]> wrote:
From a basic search it appears that D can generate dynamically linked libraries (DLL , SO, etc) which will be the easiest way to extend pharo using D.

[...]

Phil

Re: D language

kilon.alios
Fair enough

Whats that PyBridge you talking about ? First time I hear that.

Well my own python bridge works well for what I need it for, its not that hard to bridge languages at least for some form of basic RPC. Deeper language integration would need money and multiple developers of course.

As always the hard part is to make something that works not only for your own personal needs but for the needs of many other users. So many diffirent designs have to applied and planned ahead.

On Sun, Dec 13, 2015 at 1:54 PM [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
A a C++ developer, I think I can better relate to D.

Yeah, Nim is nice.

I asked about the PyBridge as well (as there is in OpenQwaq|Terf) but no response from Ron so far.

We need more bridges, that's my long term play.

Some decent cash is coming my way, so I hope that I'll be able to devote more time to these projects.
That's always the same story, cash buys time...

Phil

From a basic search it appears that D can generate dynamically linked libraries (DLL , SO, etc) which will be the easiest way to extend pharo using D.

Phil

Re: D language

kilon.alios
Ah ok so this is the bridge that OpenQwaq uses to communicate with Python, interesting. I was wondering if I could use this bridge when people mentioned openQwaq to me , I decided not to try because I could not figure out how it worked but now with your link its all clear.

With your links you finally answer whether PyBridge would have ben a viable solution for my case.

I made a good choice to make my own implementation because reading your code it seems it calls Python as a dynamic library which would not work in my case cause in my case cpython is embeded inside the binary executable of Blender and its impossible to link dynamically to it.

Shows what I was talked about in the previous reply, different people, different problems. Oh and I can use 64 bit python , because if I could not it would have been a major issue for me since I deal with big data.

Of course that means keeping most of the big data at python side, since the image can easily choke.

I really love all these area of cross language coding , it has some fascinating problems and challenges to have your cake and eat it too :)

Now I have to figure out a good model of how to reference python data from pharo via dictionaries (python already uses dicitionaries for all its reference values/objects) and how to keep those two sides in sync.

On Sun, Dec 13, 2015 at 2:47 PM [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Phil

[...]

From a basic search it appears that D can generate dynamically linked libraries (DLL , SO, etc) which will be the easiest way to extend pharo using D.