D6 feature question/suggestion

Bill Schwab
Blair,

What is Dolphin's status re running as a service?  If it's not too difficult
to do, it might make a nice addition.

The scenario amounts to an embedded system.  In this case, literally hiding
an off the shelf computer in the back of a big metal box where it becomes
very difficult to access.  The (win2k) computer is in my office (hopefully
still) running as I type, and appears to be happy booting w/o a keyboard and
mouse, and having them hot-swapped after boot.

The plan is to have a service that gives the machine a little time to calm
down, loads any updates over an encrypted connection, and then (here's where
it gets gray) launches the real app.  Squeak appears to be able to fill the
role of the service, though I've not yet tried to use it to launch Dolphin
apps, and I'm not sure how to manage the user accounts, and I'm also unclear
on whether the Dolphin apps will need to run as services to make it work.

This will probably take the form of a slowly-changing Squeak image (which
should be able to file-in downloaded change sets and save its own image to
evolve) that will serve as an installer and loader for Dolphin apps under
active development.  Still, there could be value in having the Dolphin apps
running as services.

I have another Dolphin app that is a good candidate for being a service on
end-user machines.

Have a good one,

Bill

--
Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.

Re: D6 feature question/suggestion

Bob Jarvis
"Bill Schwab" <[hidden email]> wrote in message news:<av7hsq$q9h$[hidden email]>...
> What is Dolphin's status re running as a service?  If it's not too difficult
> to do, it might make a nice addition.

Have you tried use SRVANY.EXE to launch a Dolphin app as a service?
It used to be in the NT Resource Kit, and may be available at
microsoft.com.

Bob Jarvis