DAV

Casey Ransberger-2
Any recommendation for DAV setup on UNIX and company?

Casey Ransberger

Re: DAV

Philip Weaver
Hi Casey,

Robert Krahn (@HPI) recently created a video illustrating setup.

Below are some old detailed instructions I compiled for my own use last spring along with an Apache config file. These instructions were for Linux.

1. Instructions

Preparing Apache for Lively

These steps were performed for Linux under Ubuntu 8.04 HardyHeron running at slicehost.com. Connecting to the machine as root using ssh from Mac OS X 10.5.6
Caveats:
The version of Apache was having trouble with digest authentication so this setup example is using basic authentication only. The recommendation is to use something better than basic authentication.
Apache modules may be configured permanently (a2enmod) or at runtime in httpd.conf (LoadModule). When I rehearsed these steps for this writeup, I did not get LoadModule working reliably quickly for WebDav so I stopped.
Running as root I think is a bad idea but I did it for this writeup.

# connect, update the system, and install the Apache web server
ssh <username-or-root>@<host>
sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install apache2
a2enmod dav
a2enmod dav_fs
a2enmod auth_digest
a2enmod proxy
a2enmod proxy_http
a2enmod rewrite

apt-get install subversion
cd /var
mkdir lively-kernel
cd lively-kernel
svn checkout http://livelykernel.sunlabs.com/repository/lively-kernel/trunk/
# copy the kernel client files to web document root - this will force overwrite the existing Apache index.html page (warning!)
cp -rf trunk/source/kernel/* /var/www

# these commands ensure that WebDav has permissions for Apache's document root
cd /var
chmod -R 755 www
chown -R www-data www
chgrp -R www-data www
# important caveat: if you later manually upload files, for example using ftp and not WebDav, you likely need to issue these again

# create username and password for WebDav access
htpasswd -c /etc/apache2/access <webdav-username>
# otherwise auth digest would be like: htdigest -c  /etc/apache2/access global <webdav-username>

# edit the web server configuration with httpd.conf source
# if you are not familar with the vi editor it will likely be easier just to upload httpd.conf using an ftp client
vi /etc/apache2/httpd.conf

# run or reload the web server
sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 restart
# sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 force-reload

# now configure the Lively install
# pending

2. Apache httpd.conf file

<VirtualHost *>
    ServerAdmin [hidden email]
    ServerName yourdomain.com
    ServerAlias www.yourdomain.com

    DocumentRoot /var/www
    <Directory /var/www>
        Options Indexes MultiViews
        AllowOverride None
        Order allow,deny
        allow from all
    </Directory>

    <Location />
        DAV On
        AuthType Basic
        AuthName "Restricted Files"
        AuthUserFile  /etc/apache2/access
        <LimitExcept GET OPTIONS PROPFIND>
            Require valid-user
        </LimitExcept>
    </Location>

    <Proxy *>
        Order deny,allow
        Allow from all
    </Proxy>

    # see also: trunk/source/kernel/example.htaccess & example.htpasswd
    # consider the implications of all of these proxies before hosting a public site
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteRule ^/proxy/news.com.com(.*)$ http://news.com.com$1 [P]
    RewriteRule ^/proxy/news.cnet.com(.*)$ http://news.cnet.com$1 [P]
    RewriteRule ^/proxy/weatherforecastmap.com(.*)$ http://weatherforecastmap.com$1 [P]