DB2 and codepage questions - Umlauts again!!!

Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

DB2 and codepage questions - Umlauts again!!!

jtuchel
I'm stuck somewhere in configuring a Linux based machine with DB2 Express-C and VA Smalltalk. My problem lies in codepages and umlauts.

What I've found out so far is that I have to create a database using create database xy using codeset iso8859-15 territory DE.

Connecting to that server from a windows box with German settings works like a charm with no additional db2 settings. Simply cataloging the database and connecting to it with  a VA ST image brings up correct umlauts from and to the database. Seems like the DB2 CLI client on windows simply runs using an ISO8859-x charset.

But what do I do on a Linux box? I tried exporting DB2CODEPAGE=ISO-8859-15 in the VA Smalltalk startup script, but that doesn't help much. I also put db2set DB2CODEPAGE=ISO-8859-15 into the instance owner's ~/sqllib/userprofile and the value is also displayed when I call db2set -lr. But still the client seems to work with Unicode/UTF-8. Umlauts return as two characters from select statements.

So do I change something in VASTs database code or do I have to continue searching in the DB2 docs?

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "VA Smalltalk" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/va-smalltalk/-/m209nLErZLUJ.
To post to this group, send email to [hidden email].
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/va-smalltalk?hl=en.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: DB2 and codepage questions - Umlauts again!!!

jtuchel
HI again,

maybe I need to sort a few things in that complex. The base question here is: where exactly does the DB2 driver get its locale information from.

* Do I have to set something from within the VAST image?
  - I haven't found any setting anywhere - am I missing something?
* Is it the locale of the Linux User that starts the VAST process?
  - The locale is en_US.iso8859-15, because that is what Instantiations suggests for VAST on Linux.
* Is it the locale on the db2 instance owner on that machine?
  - The default locale for that user is de_DE.utf-8 
* Is it the DB2CODEPAGE registry variable?
  - It is set to ISO8859-15

I know this group is probably not the perfect ask the last two questions. But I am hoping for someone here sitting in the same boat and having solved the problem ;-)

Joachim

Am Dienstag, 6. März 2012 14:09:28 UTC+1 schrieb [hidden email]:
I'm stuck somewhere in configuring a Linux based machine with DB2 Express-C and VA Smalltalk. My problem lies in codepages and umlauts.

What I've found out so far is that I have to create a database using create database xy using codeset iso8859-15 territory DE.

Connecting to that server from a windows box with German settings works like a charm with no additional db2 settings. Simply cataloging the database and connecting to it with  a VA ST image brings up correct umlauts from and to the database. Seems like the DB2 CLI client on windows simply runs using an ISO8859-x charset.

But what do I do on a Linux box? I tried exporting DB2CODEPAGE=ISO-8859-15 in the VA Smalltalk startup script, but that doesn't help much. I also put db2set DB2CODEPAGE=ISO-8859-15 into the instance owner's ~/sqllib/userprofile and the value is also displayed when I call db2set -lr. But still the client seems to work with Unicode/UTF-8. Umlauts return as two characters from select statements.

So do I change something in VASTs database code or do I have to continue searching in the DB2 docs?

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "VA Smalltalk" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/va-smalltalk/-/2B942N0qaZ8J.
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/va-smalltalk?hl=en.
Reply | Threaded
|

Solved: DB2 and codepage questions - Umlauts again!!!

jtuchel
Sometimes, it is good to sleep with a problem under the cushion.

The solution is to add the line export DB2CODEPAGE=923 to the act start Script. 
The rest is handled by DB2.

Thanks for reading,

Joachim

Am Mittwoch, 7. März 2012 08:43:07 UTC+1 schrieb [hidden email]:
HI again,

maybe I need to sort a few things in that complex. The base question here is: where exactly does the DB2 driver get its locale information from.

* Do I have to set something from within the VAST image?
  - I haven't found any setting anywhere - am I missing something?
* Is it the locale of the Linux User that starts the VAST process?
  - The locale is en_US.iso8859-15, because that is what Instantiations suggests for VAST on Linux.
* Is it the locale on the db2 instance owner on that machine?
  - The default locale for that user is de_DE.utf-8 
* Is it the DB2CODEPAGE registry variable?
  - It is set to ISO8859-15

I know this group is probably not the perfect ask the last two questions. But I am hoping for someone here sitting in the same boat and having solved the problem ;-)

Joachim

Am Dienstag, 6. März 2012 14:09:28 UTC+1 schrieb [hidden email]:

--
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/va-smalltalk/-/8MItxTnNco4J.