DBXPlatform on Pharo

flebber
Sorry this is a newbie question.

I am trying to install squeakdbx on pharo 1.1.

I have evaluated

Gofer new
    squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
    package: 'ConfigurationOfFFI';
    load.

and

Gofer new squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
    package: 'ConfigurationOfSqueakDBX';
    load.

from the pharo page http://www.squeakdbx.org/news

it says to evaluate

DBXPlatform disableAutomaticConnectionReleaseOnGC

However evaluating this gives me an error. unknown Variable DBXplatform.

What am I doing wrong.

Re: DBXPlatform on Pharo

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 8:38 AM, flebber <[hidden email]> wrote:

Sorry this is a newbie question.

Hi, don't worry.

I am trying to install squeakdbx on pharo 1.1.

I have evaluated

Gofer new
   squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
   package: 'ConfigurationOfFFI';
   load.

and

Gofer new squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
   package: 'ConfigurationOfSqueakDBX';
   load.

from the pharo page  http://www.squeakdbx.org/news
http://www.squeakdbx.org/news

Hi, here I need to tell you 2 things:

1) That script (using Gofer) just scripts Monticello operations. What you are doing with that is just downloading the packages ConfigurationOfSqueakDBX and ConfigurationOfFFI
from the squeaksource repository MetacelloRepository. This is the same than opening a Monticello Browser and do it from there.
So...you are not downloading SqueakDBX at all, only those packages, and this is why the error when trying to evaluate something with DBXPlatform.

2) There is no need to explicitly load ConfigurationOfFFI, since Metacello manages dependencies. So, if SqueakDBX needs FFI, Metacello will install it for you.

The correct script to install SqueakDBX is:

Gofer new
    squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
    package: 'ConfigurationOfSqueakDBX';
    load.

((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfSqueakDBX) project version: '1.3') load.

And finally, if you are in Pharo 1.1, then yes, evaluate:

DBXPlatform disableAutomaticConnectionReleaseOnGC

Finally, remember that for running SqueakDBX you need the openDBX library and the database client library. Check this link:

http://www.squeakdbx.org/Compiling%20and%20installing%20OpenDBX

Cheers

Mariano