DBXTalk configuration on MAC

dario trussardi
Ciao,

before  working to manage DBXTalk into GLASS i think it's right mange - understand  it on my MAC Lion 10.7.4

I have installed an hold  PostgresSQL 8.4.7   ( i need to install a new version ? ) .

and i have a Pharo 1.4 Latest update: #14445  where i load
Gofer it
    package: 'ConfigurationOfOpenDBXDriver';
  load.

((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfOpenDBXDriver) project version: '1.2') load.

without problem.

When i do the relative test runner  the system answer:  'External module not found'

Now i think i need to nstall:

Download the C openDBX driver for the database platform of your needs.

My question is how i can do it?

A) at the OpenDBX : Download    page

what version i need to download ?

opendbx-1.4.6.tar.gz   is correct ?

B) i don't have knowledge about compilation.

After download the right file,

if i follow the OpenDBX BASIC Compilation  step  i can  achieve the goal ?

Is there another way to solve this step?

it's best follow it?

Thanks for any considerations,

Dario

Re: DBXTalk configuration on MAC

Guillermo Polito

On Fri, Apr 5, 2013 at 1:33 PM, Dario Trussardi <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ciao,

before  working to manage DBXTalk into GLASS i think it's right mange - understand  it on my MAC Lion 10.7.4

I have installed an hold  PostgresSQL 8.4.7   ( i need to install a new version ? ) .

and i have a Pharo 1.4 Latest update: #14445  where i load
Gofer it
    package: 'ConfigurationOfOpenDBXDriver';
  load.

((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfOpenDBXDriver) project version: '1.2') load.

without problem.

When i do the relative test runner  the system answer:  'External module not found'

Yes, that means the opendbx library is not found.

Now i think i need to nstall:

Download the C openDBX driver for the database platform of your needs.

My question is how i can do it?

A) at the OpenDBX : Download    page

what version i need to download ?

opendbx-1.4.6.tar.gz   is correct ?

Yeap

B) i don't have knowledge about compilation.

After download the right file,

if i follow the OpenDBX BASIC Compilation  step  i can  achieve the goal ?

Is there another way to solve this step?

it's best follow it?

I followed it in latest mac osx 10.7.5 two weeks ago and it worked (mainly for the subtleties of installing postgres 32 bits).

Thanks for any considerations,

Dario

Re: DBXTalk configuration on MAC

dario trussardi

Ciao,

i work to test the OpenDBX for Postgres in Mac OS/X

I tried to install postgresql  32 bit on my MAC following https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/dbxtalk/vJNVYdcNA7Q

but after some attempts i don't resolved anything.

Thanks in any case at  Guillermo for the indications.

Now i think to jumping it and  install postgresql on the Ubuntu server to proced at the DBXTalk interface into GLASS

My question is:

what version of postgres load on the Ubuntu ?

The 32 bit or the 64 bit ?

The OpenDBX API  is only for 32 bit ?

In any case into Glass i think to load :

Gofer it
     package: 'ConfigurationOfOpenDBXDriver';
  load.

((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfOpenDBXDriver) project version: '1.2') load.

Thanks for any considerations,

Dario

Re: DBXTalk configuration on MAC

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 12:04 PM, Dario Trussardi <[hidden email]> wrote:

Ciao,

i work to test the OpenDBX for Postgres in Mac OS/X

I tried to install postgresql  32 bit on my MAC following https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/dbxtalk/vJNVYdcNA7Q

but after some attempts i don't resolved anything.

any particular problem we can help?

Thanks in any case at  Guillermo for the indications.

Now i think to jumping it and  install postgresql on the Ubuntu server to proced at the DBXTalk interface into GLASS

My question is:

what version of postgres load on the Ubuntu ?

The 32 bit or the 64 bit ?

If we were in Pharo, I am sure it has to e 32 bits because of Pharo's FFI. But I have no idea whether the GLASS FFI may support 64 bits or not. You should ask GLASS people.

The OpenDBX API  is only for 32 bit ?

No, I can be compiled both ways. The problem is that Pharo FFI only works if the library was compiled for 32 bits library. If you are in a 32 bits OS, then when you compile it there is no problem. But if you are in a 64 bits OS, it will compile it in 64 bit by default. And this is usually when you install client libraries from the package manager like yum, apt-get etc.....you in this case you have to FORCE to compile in 32 bits more (-m32).

http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: DBXTalk configuration on MAC

dario trussardi
Ciao,

On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 12:04 PM, Dario Trussardi <[hidden email]> wrote:

Ciao,

i work to test the OpenDBX for Postgres in Mac OS/X

I tried to install postgresql  32 bit on my MAC following https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/dbxtalk/vJNVYdcNA7Q

but after some attempts i don't resolved anything.

any particular problem we can help?

I use one hold postgres84 (32 bit) installation and all go well.

Now i'm interested to interface a MSSQL.

When submit:

CFLAGS="-m32" CXXFLAGS="-m32" CPPFLAGS="-m32" LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/lib -m32" ./configure --with-backends="pgsql mssql" --disable-utils > configure-opendbx.txt

the system raise:

configure: error: mssql header (sybfront.h) not found

If i have an MSSQL run on Microsoft server how i can link it from a Linux system ?

Any considerations?

Thanks,

Dario

Re: DBXTalk configuration on MAC

Guillermo Polito
Hi!

On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 5:27 PM, Dario Trussardi <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ciao,

On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 12:04 PM, Dario Trussardi <[hidden email]> wrote:

Ciao,

i work to test the OpenDBX for Postgres in Mac OS/X

I tried to install postgresql  32 bit on my MAC following https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/dbxtalk/vJNVYdcNA7Q

but after some attempts i don't resolved anything.

any particular problem we can help?

I use one hold postgres84 (32 bit) installation and all go well.

Yeah? Were you able finally to use it?

Now i'm interested to interface a MSSQL.

When submit:

CFLAGS="-m32" CXXFLAGS="-m32" CPPFLAGS="-m32" LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/lib -m32" ./configure --with-backends="pgsql mssql" --disable-utils > configure-opendbx.txt

the system raise:

configure: error: mssql header (sybfront.h) not found

If i have an MSSQL run on Microsoft server how i can link it from a Linux system ?

Any considerations?

If on Unix, the recommended way is to use FreeTDS library, which implements the TDS protocol for communicating with a MSSQL RDBMS.

If you are compiling it by yourself, the "mssql" backend for compilation searches for freetds headers.

Cheers

Thanks,

Dario