DESPlugin is broken

Rob Withers
Hans-Martin Mosner, if you have your ears on, I could use some help figuring
out the algorithm.  Anyone else for that matter.

Here is the spec:
http://csrc.nist.gov/publications/fips/fips46-3/fips46-3.pdf

The key is cooked for encryption or decryption
The data block is submitted for encryption (or decryption, depending on the
cooked key)
    - first the data block is permuted using the Initial Permutation
    - result of the permutation step is encrypted using the cooked key
    - result of the encryption step is permuted using the inverse of the
Initial Permutation

I do not know if the problem is with the key cooking or the encryption
transformation.

Thanks for any help!

Rob

Re: [Cryptography Team] DESPlugin is broken

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Sat, 24 Jul 2010, Rob Withers wrote:

> Hans-Martin Mosner, if you have your ears on, I could use some help figuring
> out the algorithm.  Anyone else for that matter.
>
> Here is the spec:
> http://csrc.nist.gov/publications/fips/fips46-3/fips46-3.pdf
>
> The key is cooked for encryption or decryption
> The data block is submitted for encryption (or decryption, depending on the
> cooked key)
>   - first the data block is permuted using the Initial Permutation
>   - result of the permutation step is encrypted using the cooked key
>   - result of the encryption step is permuted using the inverse of the
> Initial Permutation
>
> I do not know if the problem is with the key cooking or the encryption
> transformation.
>
> Thanks for any help!

Do the tests in the Cryptography package pass for you?

Levente

> Rob

Re: [Cryptography Team] DESPlugin is broken

Rob Withers

>> Hans-Martin Mosner, if you have your ears on, I could use some help
>> figuring out the algorithm.  Anyone else for that matter.
>>
>> Here is the spec:
>> http://csrc.nist.gov/publications/fips/fips46-3/fips46-3.pdf
>>
>> The key is cooked for encryption or decryption
>> The data block is submitted for encryption (or decryption, depending on
>> the cooked key)
>>   - first the data block is permuted using the Initial Permutation
>>   - result of the permutation step is encrypted using the cooked key
>>   - result of the encryption step is permuted using the inverse of the
>> Initial Permutation
>>
>> I do not know if the problem is with the key cooking or the encryption
>> transformation.
>>
>> Thanks for any help!
>
> Do the tests in the Cryptography package pass for you?

I should note that this failure is under Cog.  I am trying to build plugins
for Windows Squeak 4.0.2, but am having problems - the topic of a different
thread I started.

Some DES test fail.  In CryptoDESTest, I am failing on #testDES, #testDES2,
#testDESFormal, and #testTripleDES, with the DESPlugin loaded.  Without the
Plugin all pass green.

Rob

> Levente
>

>> Rob _______________________________________________
>> Cryptography mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/cryptography

Re: [Cryptography Team] DESPlugin is broken

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Sat, 24 Jul 2010, Rob Withers wrote:

That's very strange. I uploaded the DESPlugin I built with the Cog tools
to http://leves.web.elte.hu/cryptography/cogplugins/DESPlugin.dll . The
plugin is built from the sources linked here:
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2010-July/152005.html
. All tests are green with the plugin.

The DESPlugin I used to use with SqueakVM is here:
http://leves.web.elte.hu/cryptography/DESPlugin.dll

Please check if you get errors with these plugins too.

Levente