DRY-ing Magritte

Stephan Eggermont-3
This afternoon at ESUG we showed the things we have been doing to eliminate duplication
and add functionalitywhen building Magritte-based applications.
You can use the code by doing in a Pharo 2.0 image:

Gofer new
  url: 'http://smalltalkhub.com/mc/DiegoLont/QCMagritte/main';
  package: 'ConfigurationOfQCMagritte';
load.
(Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfQCMagritte) project development load: #( 'Demo' ).

We have not tested Squeak, Pharo 1.4 and Gemstone, but don't expect any
problems. Squeak needs Announcements for the code to work.

What we showed is an expanded version of the TwitterBootstrap demo.

Diego & Stephan

Re: DRY-ing Magritte

Tobias Pape
Am 09.09.2013 um 15:07 schrieb Stephan Eggermont <[hidden email]>:

> This afternoon at ESUG we showed the things we have been doing to eliminate duplication
> and add functionalitywhen building Magritte-based applications.
> You can use the code by doing in a Pharo 2.0 image:
>
> Gofer new
> url: 'http://smalltalkhub.com/mc/DiegoLont/QCMagritte/main';
> package: 'ConfigurationOfQCMagritte';
> load.
> (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfQCMagritte) project development load: #( 'Demo' ).
>
> We have not tested Squeak, Pharo 1.4 and Gemstone, but don't expect any
> problems. Squeak needs Announcements for the code to work.
>
> What we showed is an expanded version of the TwitterBootstrap demo.

Yay!

Re: DRY-ing Magritte

JupiterJones
Thanks Diego & Stephan,

I'll double that Yay!

I tried loading the Demo into GemStone however the compiler is a little pickier:

Compile error in Class: #'QCReportComponent' method:    triggerDoubleClickFor: aRow
           self doubleClickCommand
                   ifNil: [ 'no double click, ignore' ]
 *                          ^1                                        *******
                   ifNotNil: [ self doubleClickCommand executeOn: aRow component: self ]

1: [1037] statement has no effect
 (MAError)

I'm guessing the ifNil: case is there for completeness in code readability :) Still, can the "do nothing" block be removed?

Since it's a simple fix, is it something I can do or is that better left to someone with access to the repository? Is this a pattern I'll likely hit again once I get past loading this method?

Thanks for the awesome demo - it's taught me a lot about Magritte :)

Kind Regards,

Jupiter

On 09/09/2013, at 11:07 PM, Stephan Eggermont <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This afternoon at ESUG we showed the things we have been doing to eliminate duplication
> and add functionalitywhen building Magritte-based applications.
> You can use the code by doing in a Pharo 2.0 image:
>
> Gofer new
>  url: 'http://smalltalkhub.com/mc/DiegoLont/QCMagritte/main';
>  package: 'ConfigurationOfQCMagritte';
> load.
> (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfQCMagritte) project development load: #( 'Demo' ).
>
> We have not tested Squeak, Pharo 1.4 and Gemstone, but don't expect any
> problems. Squeak needs Announcements for the code to work.
>
> What we showed is an expanded version of the TwitterBootstrap demo.
>
> Diego & Stephan

Re: DRY-ing Magritte

DiegoLont
Thanks for the bug report. I submitted a fix. And if you want access to submit fixes like this, please tell me your smalltalkhub login, and I will add you.

I must admit that I already found this error and fixed it, but only in the code for my client. It should load now fine. It does in my gemstone image.

Cheers,
Diego