DSAPlugin

David T. Lewis

Hello Cryptography team,

DSAPlugin has had a home in the VMMaker-Plugins package (both VMMaker
trunk and oscog) for quite some time, and an essentially identical copy
of the same plugin appears in package CryptographyPlugins in the
www.squeaksource.com/Cryptography repository.

I would like to include the other plugins in package CryptographyPlugins
in the configuration map for VMMaker in order to encourage them to be
included in future VM distributions. In order to make this possible, it
would help if the copy of DSAPlugin in CryptographyPlugins can be moved
back out of that package category so the remaining three plugins
(DESPlugin, MD5Plugin and SHA256Plugin) can be easily loaded into an
image with VMMaker.  This can be done by changing the class category
for DSAPlugin from 'CryptographyPlugins' to 'VMMaker-Plugins' and saving
the updated CryptographyPlugins package in SqS/Cryptography.

Can someone make this happen?

(Note that the alternative would be to remove DSAPlugin from VMMaker
and reference the copy in Cryptography, but the plugin does not seem
to have changed in over a decade, so it's probably best to leave it
where it is in VMMaker)

Thanks!

Dave

Re: DSAPlugin

Colin Putney-3

On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 7:00 PM, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> (Note that the alternative would be to remove DSAPlugin from VMMaker
> and reference the copy in Cryptography, but the plugin does not seem
> to have changed in over a decade, so it's probably best to leave it
> where it is in VMMaker)

Why is it best to leave it in VMMaker? Do other parts of VMMaker have
hidden dependencies on DSAPlugin?

It's going to be inconvenient for the cryptography team to delete
their copy of the DSAPlugin and then maintain 3 plugins in their own
package, and 1 more in VMMaker. In fact, I'd like to see more plugins
being maintained and distributed independently of the VM. What's the
point of having a plugin architecture if plugins are tightly bound
into the VM anyway?

If there are issues with moving plugins out of VMMaker, let's figure
out what they are and fix them!

Colin

Re: DSAPlugin

stephane ducasse-2

+1
for modular thinking.

What is fun is to see the Klatt plugin still there.
I'm sure that there are pluggin that could be removed too.

Stef

On Nov 23, 2011, at 7:06 AM, Colin Putney wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 7:00 PM, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> (Note that the alternative would be to remove DSAPlugin from VMMaker
>> and reference the copy in Cryptography, but the plugin does not seem
>> to have changed in over a decade, so it's probably best to leave it
>> where it is in VMMaker)
>
> Why is it best to leave it in VMMaker? Do other parts of VMMaker have
> hidden dependencies on DSAPlugin?
>
> It's going to be inconvenient for the cryptography team to delete
> their copy of the DSAPlugin and then maintain 3 plugins in their own
> package, and 1 more in VMMaker. In fact, I'd like to see more plugins
> being maintained and distributed independently of the VM. What's the
> point of having a plugin architecture if plugins are tightly bound
> into the VM anyway?
>
> If there are issues with moving plugins out of VMMaker, let's figure
> out what they are and fix them!
>
> Colin

Re: DSAPlugin

EstebanLM

I think we need to start deconstruct the "huge beast" it is VMMaker right now, and that means at first instance split the package in smaller parts.
No reason to have all plugins (newer, older, living, obsolete) in just one package.
But also, it would be good (IMHO) to have all plugin packages grouped in just one repository (same VMMaker repository) and easily installable with a ConfigurationOf... (now we have metacello, no reason to use hand made scripts)

If all agree in this, I can work a little on the split process (not right now, but in this weeks :) ).

Cheers,
Esteban

El 23/11/2011, a las 6:00a.m., stephane ducasse escribió:

> +1
> for modular thinking.
>
> What is fun is to see the Klatt plugin still there.
> I'm sure that there are pluggin that could be removed too.
>
> Stef
>
> On Nov 23, 2011, at 7:06 AM, Colin Putney wrote:
>

>> On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 7:00 PM, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> (Note that the alternative would be to remove DSAPlugin from VMMaker
>>> and reference the copy in Cryptography, but the plugin does not seem
>>> to have changed in over a decade, so it's probably best to leave it
>>> where it is in VMMaker)
>>
>> Why is it best to leave it in VMMaker? Do other parts of VMMaker have
>> hidden dependencies on DSAPlugin?
>>
>> It's going to be inconvenient for the cryptography team to delete
>> their copy of the DSAPlugin and then maintain 3 plugins in their own
>> package, and 1 more in VMMaker. In fact, I'd like to see more plugins
>> being maintained and distributed independently of the VM. What's the
>> point of having a plugin architecture if plugins are tightly bound
>> into the VM anyway?
>>
>> If there are issues with moving plugins out of VMMaker, let's figure
>> out what they are and fix them!
>>
>> Colin

Re: DSAPlugin

David T. Lewis

On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 10:06:57PM -0800, Colin Putney wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 7:00 PM, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > (Note that the alternative would be to remove DSAPlugin from VMMaker
> > and reference the copy in Cryptography, but the plugin does not seem
> > to have changed in over a decade, so it's probably best to leave it
> > where it is in VMMaker)
>
> Why is it best to leave it in VMMaker? Do other parts of VMMaker have
> hidden dependencies on DSAPlugin?

I did not say that it is better to leave it in VMMaker. I said that
it should be in one package or the other, but not both.

> It's going to be inconvenient for the cryptography team to delete
> their copy of the DSAPlugin and then maintain 3 plugins in their own
> package, and 1 more in VMMaker. In fact, I'd like to see more plugins
> being maintained and distributed independently of the VM. What's the
> point of having a plugin architecture if plugins are tightly bound
> into the VM anyway?

I would like to hear from the Cryptography team as to what *they*
want. That is why I asked them, with a CC to vm-dev to keep people
informed.

> If there are issues with moving plugins out of VMMaker, let's figure
> out what they are and fix them!

There are no problems with maintaining plugins out of VMMaker, as
long as there is an actual maintainer. That is the reason that I
maintain all of my own plugin projects (OSPP etc) outside of VMMaker.
But for a plugin is actively used but has no active developer or
maintainer (as may be the case with DSAPlugin?), it is not helpful
to put it into someone else's repository. But again, let's please
hear with the Cryptography team has to say about it. That is why
I asked the question.

Thanks,
Dave

Re: DSAPlugin

David T. Lewis

On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 08:42:43AM -0300, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:

> I think we need to start deconstruct the "huge beast" it is VMMaker right now, and that means at first instance split the package in smaller parts.
> No reason to have all plugins (newer, older, living, obsolete) in just one package.
> But also, it would be good (IMHO) to have all plugin packages grouped in just one repository (same VMMaker repository) and easily installable with a ConfigurationOf... (now we have metacello, no reason to use hand made scripts)
>
> If all agree in this, I can work a little on the split process (not right now, but in this weeks :) ).

Hi Esteban,

I agree in principle, but please do not do it now. I think it is
very important to continue merging the two main VMMaker branches
(traditional and oscog). I have been trying to make progress with
this, and Eliot is certainly supportive, but I have to say that it
is a lot of work and we rely heavily on the Monticello tools and
matching package structures when comparing and merging code between
oscog and trunk. If we were to break the packages into smaller
pieces with different versions for trunk and oscog, the result
would be difficult to keep track of in the VMMaker repository.

If we want to achieve a more modular VMMaker, the most important
thing to work on is reconciling the code bases, both in VMMaker
and in the platforms support. There is a lot of work to be done
here, and I don't know if anyone is even looking at the problem
on the platforms code side (aside from Andreas, who did some
significant updates to the win32 and Cross files in trunk). Once
that work is done, we can reorganize package structures to improve
the overall maintainability. But in the near term, changing the
package structure in VMMaker would make the job more difficult
for me.

Thanks!

Dave

p.s. I know from personal experience that breaking packages into
smaller pieces is not always a good idea, even if it sounds like
the right thing to do. I split both the CommandShell and OSProcess
packages into smaller packages, which seemed like a good idea because
it would make them more modular. For CommandShell, this was very
helpful, and I'm glad I did it.  But for OSProcess is was a big
mistake, because it makes it harder for me to manage version releases,
and it has provided no practical benefit to the users of OSProcess.
So sometimes it is a good idea to do this, and sometimes it is not ;)

Re: DSAPlugin

stephane ducasse-2

david

Did you use metacello to manage your packages?
Because small packages can be really a problem if we do not have a way to manage them as a group.
I wrote the metacello chapter just for that: to help people managing their packages.

Stef

On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 03:25:52PM +0100, stephane ducasse wrote:

> david
>
> Did you use metacello to manage your packages?
> Because small packages can be really a problem if we do not have a way to manage them as a group.
> I wrote the metacello chapter just for that: to help people managing their packages.
>
> Stef

Hi Stef,

Yes, and Metacello solves the problem very well from the point of
view of distributing correct configurations and managing the necessary
variations in packaging. For example, it is perfect for specifying
a configuration of CommandShell that is appropriate for Pharo
(no MVC required) versus a configuration that is appropriate for
Squeak, and it provides a nice way to specify a configuration that
is known to work with some specific version of an image.

I mentioned my experience with OSProcess from the point of view of
the developer and maintainer of the package. I broke the package
into more pieces than necessary, and as a result I find myself needing
to update several packages when releasing a change that would be better
managed as a single update to one package. This makes it harder for me
to keep track of changes why trying to troubleshoot a problem, and
the repository itself now contains far too many files.

So in general I prefer to see separate repositories and smaller, more
modular packaging. But in practice sometimes there are tradeoffs ;)

Dave