DSDN

Ian Bartholomew-3
I've created a temporary web page for DSDN 5 at

http://www.iandb.org.uk/goodies5/dsdn/dsdn.html

The page has a download link and a few notes about what has changed along
with some outstanding issues that it (not to mention the Dolphin WIKI) has.
Any comments appreciated.

NewsArchiveBrowser - I've more or less decided to discontinue this goodie.
The original idea was to keep a package that behaved the same on all Dolphin
versions but there doesn't seem to be a lot of point in that now?. DSDN does
all that NAB did so it seems silly maintaining the two.  Would anyone really
miss NAB?

Regards
    Ian

Re: DSDN

Ted Bracht-2
Hi Ian,

"Ian Bartholomew" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...
> I've created a temporary web page for DSDN 5 at
>
> http://www.iandb.org.uk/goodies5/dsdn/dsdn.html
>
> The page has a download link and a few notes about what has changed along
> with some outstanding issues that it (not to mention the Dolphin WIKI)
has.
> Any comments appreciated.
>
> NewsArchiveBrowser - I've more or less decided to discontinue this goodie.
> The original idea was to keep a package that behaved the same on all
Dolphin
> versions but there doesn't seem to be a lot of point in that now?. DSDN
does
> all that NAB did so it seems silly maintaining the two.  Would anyone
really
> miss NAB?

As DSDN was updated to version 4 quite some months after the D4 release, I
got used to the NAB and used it since. It's slimmer and I think faster as
well. But I'm sure I could get used to DSDN again (as long as I can default
to the News tab ;-))

my 2 Eurocents

> Regards
>     Ian

Ted

Re: DSDN

Andy Bower
Ian,

> I've created a temporary web page for DSDN 5 at
>
> http://www.iandb.org.uk/goodies5/dsdn/dsdn.html
>
> The page has a download link and a few notes about what has changed along
> with some outstanding issues that it (not to mention the Dolphin WIKI)
has.
> Any comments appreciated.
>
> NewsArchiveBrowser - I've more or less decided to discontinue this goodie.
> The original idea was to keep a package that behaved the same on all
Dolphin
> versions but there doesn't seem to be a lot of point in that now?. DSDN
does
> all that NAB did so it seems silly maintaining the two.  Would anyone
really
> miss NAB?

Do you think the directory structure should be:

[Dolphin Installation Folder]/Ian Bartholomew/DSDN/EducationCentre
[Dolphin Installation Folder]/Ian Bartholomew/DSDN/NewsArchive
[Dolphin Installation Folder]/Ian Bartholomew/DSDN/Info
[Dolphin Installation Folder]/Ian Bartholomew/DSDN/WIKI

to match the new layout introduced by D5. I'm assuming here that the rest of
your goodies will also go under an "Ian Bartholomew" hierarchy.

I also typically use the NAB rather than DSDN but purely because I'm too
lazy to load the full thing when I usually only want to scan the news
archives.

Best Regards,

Andy Bower
Dolphin Support
http://www.object-arts.com
---
Are you trying too hard?
http://www.object-arts.com/Relax.htm
---

Re: DSDN

Ian Bartholomew-3
Andy,

> Do you think the directory structure should be:
>
> [Dolphin Installation Folder]/Ian Bartholomew/DSDN/EducationCentre
> [Dolphin Installation Folder]/Ian Bartholomew/DSDN/NewsArchive
> [Dolphin Installation Folder]/Ian Bartholomew/DSDN/Info
> [Dolphin Installation Folder]/Ian Bartholomew/DSDN/WIKI
>
> to match the new layout introduced by D5. I'm assuming here that the rest
of
> your goodies will also go under an "Ian Bartholomew" hierarchy.

They will.   DSDN is a collaboration with Bill though and is not available
as part of my normal goodie package so I thought it better (fairer) to give
it a separate folder root.  I've given the package file default location the
same root below [Dolphin image folder] so it does match there as well.

> I also typically use the NAB rather than DSDN but purely because I'm too
> lazy to load the full thing when I usually only want to scan the news
> archives.

See my comments to the other thread.

It's no problem to put NAB back in the goodies though, if it is seen as a
useful -  one reason I mentioned it in the first place was to see if anyone
used it :)

Regards
    Ian

Re: DSDN

Ian Bartholomew-3
Ted,

> As DSDN was updated to version 4 quite some months after the D4 release, I
> got used to the NAB and used it since. It's slimmer and I think faster as
> well.

I can't disagree with the "slimmer" but I persuaded myself they it wasn't
noticeably any faster?. That may be because I treated myself to a fast box
with lots of memory and I've got past the cut-off point, where the
performance of DSDN does start slipping in relation to NAB?

I'll do some timings later to try and see, although the amount of memory
available may play a major part and mask some effects

I just thought some of the facilities in DSDN, the ability to copy and save
messages in the favourites folder and the enhanced search, gave it a big
usability advantage over NAB.  BTW One thing that, due to a slight error on
my part :(, didn't make it into the package I uploaded is that the archive
tab now (optionally) sorts the message subjects properly, ignoring any "Re:
". It makes threads easier to follow.

> But I'm sure I could get used to DSDN again (as long as I can default
> to the News tab ;-))

I imagine that I can add another option to allow the pre selection of the
default tab. Next update ...

> my 2 Eurocents

Have you notices that if you use the Euro sign in a news message then it
gets displayed, using OE at least, as a question mark.  I can't help feeling
some europhobe is making a statement there :)

Thanks for the feedback

Ian

Re: DSDN

Ian Bartholomew-3
Ted,

> I imagine that I can add another option to allow the pre selection of the
> default tab. Next update ...

... is now on the aforementioned web page. It includes the missing Archive
list sort change and a new option to select the default tab (which defaults
to "Archive", just for Ted :) )

Regards
    Ian

Re: DSDN

Ted Bracht-2
"Ian Bartholomew" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...
> Ted,
>
> > I imagine that I can add another option to allow the pre selection of
the
> > default tab. Next update ...
>
> ... is now on the aforementioned web page. It includes the missing Archive
> list sort change and a new option to select the default tab (which
defaults
> to "Archive", just for Ted :) )

Cheers, I'll have a look

> Regards