Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
40 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Dark Mode

kilon.alios
I am no authority on dark theme because I am using my blue theme full time and I have addressed any colour issues I had.

Retina detachment, wow that is serious ! I hope you doing better :(

Well I have myopia in both eyes, my left is 6 degrees which is pretty high. We myopics suppose to not see very well in the dark but my visual perception is great in dark environments even in almost complete darkness. 

Its weird because as I young boy I was non stop out in the sun and I live in Greece, here the Sun is very bright, yet it always hurt my eyes. Not much as knife pain, but more like feeling pressure on the eye. Of course I am not the only Greek in love with his sun glasses during summer. 

My eye doctor said it was because of my eyes being light color compared to the usual dark coloured eyes Greeks have. But I think the reason most likely is more mysterious :D

On Mon, Aug 28, 2017 at 2:05 PM [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Mon, Aug 28, 2017 at 12:10 AM, Dimitris Chloupis <[hidden email]> wrote:
Also most don't know this but light themes of Pharo were in part hard coded. Esteban in order to create the dark theme which is based on the most popular dark theme ( if my memory serves correctly) , Darcula , he had to remove all this nasty code. He essentially made it possible for Pharo to have themes without worrying about hard coded colors. So if you ever want to make the light theme even lighter you have the dark theme to thank for making it easier for you.

Quite an irony , would not agree ?

If the doctors say your eye sight is great , he knows what he is talking about.

Black foreground against dark grey background sound like a bug. Care to share a screenshot ?
On Mon, 28 Aug 2017 at 00:51, PBKResearch <[hidden email]> wrote:
I agree with Dimitris - it is all a matter of preference - not all eyes are the same. For myself, I find the default dark theme in Pharo very uncomfortable. On my system, some elements have a black foreground on a dark grey background, which is almost impossible to see. This is always true of the maximise/minimise/close buttons, but sometimes also of text fields in a playground. Whenever I download a new image, I immediately switch to the Watery theme, with light background and nice coloured buttons on the windows.

Of course, my eyes may not be typical. I am now aged 84, and I have had cataract operations on both eyes. My sight is actually quite good - my optometrist confirms that I am legal to drive without spectacles - but my adverse reaction to dark mode is strong and immediate.

Eye issues as well. Retinal detachment in both, and cataract on the right one. Loads of floaters.

Light mode kills them.

Dark theme : can code for hours without any trouble.

At the office I am at now 90% of coders are using dark themes.

Indeed the windows buttons are annoying, I have my own little hack to make them better.
When a control bugs you, bring a halo and try to reverse the form, usually makes things readable.

Phil

Just my 2p worth

Peter Kenny

-----Original Message-----
From: Pharo-users [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of stephan
Sent: 27 August 2017 21:46
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: [Pharo-users] Dark Mode

On 27-08-17 22:37, Dimitris Chloupis wrote:
> White or dark is a matter of preference. But the matter of preference
> is also a matter of biology . Not all eyes are same.

The research is pretty clear: a large majority of developers does better with light themes. I have been sufficiently clear on the choice to make
Pharo6 theme dark default

Stephan

Reply | Threaded
|

philippeback

On Mon, Aug 28, 2017 at 1:28 PM, Dimitris Chloupis <[hidden email]> wrote:
I am no authority on dark theme because I am using my blue theme full time and I have addressed any colour issues I had.

Retina detachment, wow that is serious ! I hope you doing better :(

Yeah, after that, not much can really stress me out that much.

And 2 x 27 inch monitors help. Pharo is great because I can make it be the way I want it to code in it.

Well I have myopia in both eyes, my left is 6 degrees which is pretty high. We myopics suppose to not see very well in the dark but my visual perception is great in dark environments even in almost complete darkness. 

Its weird because as I young boy I was non stop out in the sun and I live in Greece, here the Sun is very bright, yet it always hurt my eyes. Not much as knife pain, but more like feeling pressure on the eye. Of course I am not the only Greek in love with his sun glasses during summer. 

My eye doctor said it was because of my eyes being light color compared to the usual dark coloured eyes Greeks have. But I think the reason most likely is more mysterious :D

Ah ah, 1/2 italian with green eyes here. I feel you. I am running with shades.

Phil 

On Mon, Aug 28, 2017 at 2:05 PM [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Mon, Aug 28, 2017 at 12:10 AM, Dimitris Chloupis <[hidden email]> wrote:
Also most don't know this but light themes of Pharo were in part hard coded. Esteban in order to create the dark theme which is based on the most popular dark theme ( if my memory serves correctly) , Darcula , he had to remove all this nasty code. He essentially made it possible for Pharo to have themes without worrying about hard coded colors. So if you ever want to make the light theme even lighter you have the dark theme to thank for making it easier for you.

Black foreground against dark grey background sound like a bug. Care to share a screenshot ?
I agree with Dimitris - it is all a matter of preference - not all eyes are the same. For myself, I find the default dark theme in Pharo very uncomfortable. On my system, some elements have a black foreground on a dark grey background, which is almost impossible to see. This is always true of the maximise/minimise/close buttons, but sometimes also of text fields in a playground. Whenever I download a new image, I immediately switch to the Watery theme, with light background and nice coloured buttons on the windows.

Of course, my eyes may not be typical. I am now aged 84, and I have had cataract operations on both eyes. My sight is actually quite good - my optometrist confirms that I am legal to drive without spectacles - but my adverse reaction to dark mode is strong and immediate.

Eye issues as well. Retinal detachment in both, and cataract on the right one. Loads of floaters.

Light mode kills them.

Dark theme : can code for hours without any trouble.

At the office I am at now 90% of coders are using dark themes.

Indeed the windows buttons are annoying, I have my own little hack to make them better.
When a control bugs you, bring a halo and try to reverse the form, usually makes things readable.

Phil

Just my 2p worth

Peter Kenny

The research is pretty clear: a large majority of developers does better with light themes. I have been sufficiently clear on the choice to make

Stephan

Reply | Threaded
|

drush66
If I can throw in my 2c, themes are like nutrition facts. When I was a kid eggs were the healthiest thing to consume in universe. Then they were a root of all evil, and now days are nutrition packed food. 

I have observed similar circles in background color usability. Pharo has ability to choose a theme, it has both currently fashionable and older ones to choose from. I do not see need for anything else on that front.

Davorin Rusevljan
Reply | Threaded
|

Hannes Hirzel
On 8/28/17, Davorin Rusevljan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> If I can throw in my 2c, themes are like nutrition facts. When I was a kid
> eggs were the healthiest thing to consume in universe. Then they were a
> root of all evil, and now days are nutrition packed food.

In the meantime eggs are fine again, I think :-)

> I have observed similar circles in background color usability. Pharo has
> ability to choose a theme, it has both currently fashionable and older ones
> to choose from. I do not see need for anything else on that front.
>
> Davorin Rusevljan
>

Reply | Threaded
|

kilon.alios
In reply to this post by drush66
Nutrition wise, scientists always agreed that eggs contained pretty much everything the body needs. Problem was cholesterol which the egg does significant rise. 

The fact that did change was that high cholesterol is bad, some doctors would argue even deadly for ones health. Problem was that this fact was based on a research that was on a very small group of subjects and if I am not mistaken it was not even humans it was lab rats. 

The problem none really funded a serious research for this fact and when they did they discovered that indeed eggs and other food do raise cholesterol significantly but our liver is capable of reducing the production of cholesterol to compensate hence its nowhere near as harmful as they used to assume. 

Science is flawed mainly because finding small facts is easy and cheap but general fact are very complex and very very expensive. 

Like all things, you get what you are paying for. This is why you see and hear so many contradictory facts. They are mostly based on simple cheap research. Plus "fact" is purely a fantasy, our world is too complex for facts as most people define them. There is truth sure, but not as easy to consume and explain as we would wish. 

The preference to light and dark themes is not product of bad scientific research. I suspect the reasons are too complex for science anyway because we are even eons away from explaining the human brain and how it works. 

Pharo not only allow you to choose a theme but its theme classes are actually very easy to use which is something it inherit from Squeak. It took me a day to create my own theme. 

The Dark UI theme class is excellent example for anyone who wants to subclass it and create his own light or dark theme because its not that complex. 

On Mon, Aug 28, 2017 at 2:57 PM Davorin Rusevljan <[hidden email]> wrote:
If I can throw in my 2c, themes are like nutrition facts. When I was a kid eggs were the healthiest thing to consume in universe. Then they were a root of all evil, and now days are nutrition packed food. 

I have observed similar circles in background color usability. Pharo has ability to choose a theme, it has both currently fashionable and older ones to choose from. I do not see need for anything else on that front.

Davorin Rusevljan
Reply | Threaded
|

Tim Mackinnon
In reply to this post by Peter Kenny

I found the place to adjust this - but I need to debug it as it seems my change also effects the colour used to highlight selected text (which is weird).

If you modify the following method (possibly in a subclass), I found this helped - but haven’t figured out why text highlight colour would be impacted by this change?

configureWindowBorderFor: aWindow
"Made window borders a bit thcker and slightly lighter to its easier to distinguish 
overlapping windows"
| aStyle |
aStyle := 
SimpleBorder new 
color: self borderColor lighter lighter lighter;
width: 2.
aWindow borderStyle: aStyle.

Tim

On 28 Aug 2017, at 01:08, PBKResearch <[hidden email]> wrote:

Dimitris

Update – there is a sort of bug in the screenshot, which I have caused. I opened the page with my usual light theme, then changed themes. This updated the colour of the background, but not the text in the foreground. If I open the same playground display with the dark theme, the text is white and shows up OK. But I still don’t like it.

Peter Kenny

From: Pharo-users [[hidden email]] On Behalf Of PBKResearch
Sent: 27 August 2017 23:48
To: 'Any question about pharo is welcome' <[hidden email]>

Dimitris

Screenshot attached. Look particularly at the text in the right-hand page of the playground. Also the control buttons of the playground window – the buttons go black when the window gets focus. I opened the ‘About’ window so you can see which version I have – not yet Pharo 6.1, but not very out of date.

Peter Kenny

From: Pharo-users [[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Dimitris Chloupis
Sent: 27 August 2017 23:10
To: Any question about pharo is welcome <[hidden email]>

Just my 2p worth

Peter Kenny

Stephan

Reply | Threaded
|

philippeback
In reply to this post by kilon.alios
You can eat eggs all you want provided you burn the calories. They are shock full of amino acids.

Cholesterol is a precursor of testosterone, so, no cholesterol is going to put a man in a bad place.

Eggs and heavy deadlifts and squats. Yay, feel the burn.

Speaking of which: anyone have a .fit file binding for Pharo?

See this forum thread for a clue: https://www.thisisant.com/forum/viewthread/4275

Roassal + Dataframe on fit files would be a great thing to have.

Phil

On Mon, Aug 28, 2017 at 2:20 PM, Dimitris Chloupis <[hidden email]> wrote:
Nutrition wise, scientists always agreed that eggs contained pretty much everything the body needs. Problem was cholesterol which the egg does significant rise. 

The fact that did change was that high cholesterol is bad, some doctors would argue even deadly for ones health. Problem was that this fact was based on a research that was on a very small group of subjects and if I am not mistaken it was not even humans it was lab rats. 

The problem none really funded a serious research for this fact and when they did they discovered that indeed eggs and other food do raise cholesterol significantly but our liver is capable of reducing the production of cholesterol to compensate hence its nowhere near as harmful as they used to assume. 

Science is flawed mainly because finding small facts is easy and cheap but general fact are very complex and very very expensive. 

Like all things, you get what you are paying for. This is why you see and hear so many contradictory facts. They are mostly based on simple cheap research. Plus "fact" is purely a fantasy, our world is too complex for facts as most people define them. There is truth sure, but not as easy to consume and explain as we would wish. 

The preference to light and dark themes is not product of bad scientific research. I suspect the reasons are too complex for science anyway because we are even eons away from explaining the human brain and how it works. 

Pharo not only allow you to choose a theme but its theme classes are actually very easy to use which is something it inherit from Squeak. It took me a day to create my own theme. 

The Dark UI theme class is excellent example for anyone who wants to subclass it and create his own light or dark theme because its not that complex. 

Davorin Rusevljan

Reply | Threaded
|

Esteban A. Maringolo
In reply to this post by Tim Mackinnon
I think it not only a matter of user preference, but also environment
lighting conditions.
In bright environments, as with natural light, I prefer to use the
light theme. At night or with artificial light dark theme fits better.

Regards,

Esteban A. Maringolo

2017-08-28 9:30 GMT-03:00 Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]>:

>
> I found the place to adjust this - but I need to debug it as it seems my
> change also effects the colour used to highlight selected text (which is
> weird).
>
> If you modify the following method (possibly in a subclass), I found this
> helped - but haven’t figured out why text highlight colour would be impacted
> by this change?
>
> configureWindowBorderFor: aWindow
> "Made window borders a bit thcker and slightly lighter to its easier to
> distinguish
> overlapping windows"
> | aStyle |
> aStyle :=
> SimpleBorder new
> color: self borderColor lighter lighter lighter;
> width: 2.
> aWindow borderStyle: aStyle.
>
>
> Tim
>
> On 28 Aug 2017, at 01:08, PBKResearch <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Dimitris
>
>
>
> Update – there is a sort of bug in the screenshot, which I have caused. I
> opened the page with my usual light theme, then changed themes. This updated
> the colour of the background, but not the text in the foreground. If I open
> the same playground display with the dark theme, the text is white and shows
> up OK. But I still don’t like it.
>
>
>
> Peter Kenny
>
>
>
> From: Pharo-users [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of
> PBKResearch
> Sent: 27 August 2017 23:48
> To: 'Any question about pharo is welcome' <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [Pharo-users] Dark Mode
>
>
>
> Dimitris
>
>
>
> Screenshot attached. Look particularly at the text in the right-hand page of
> the playground. Also the control buttons of the playground window – the
> buttons go black when the window gets focus. I opened the ‘About’ window so
> you can see which version I have – not yet Pharo 6.1, but not very out of
> date.
>
>
>
> Peter Kenny
>
>
>
> Dimitris Chloupis
> Sent: 27 August 2017 23:10
> To: Any question about pharo is welcome <[hidden email]>
>
>
>
> Also most don't know this but light themes of Pharo were in part hard coded.
> Esteban in order to create the dark theme which is based on the most popular
> dark theme ( if my memory serves correctly) , Darcula , he had to remove all
> this nasty code. He essentially made it possible for Pharo to have themes
> without worrying about hard coded colors. So if you ever want to make the
> light theme even lighter you have the dark theme to thank for making it
> easier for you.
>
> Quite an irony , would not agree ?
>
> If the doctors say your eye sight is great , he knows what he is talking
> about.
>
> Black foreground against dark grey background sound like a bug. Care to
> share a screenshot ?
>
> On Mon, 28 Aug 2017 at 00:51, PBKResearch <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I agree with Dimitris - it is all a matter of preference - not all eyes are
> the same. For myself, I find the default dark theme in Pharo very
> uncomfortable. On my system, some elements have a black foreground on a dark
> grey background, which is almost impossible to see. This is always true of
> the maximise/minimise/close buttons, but sometimes also of text fields in a
> playground. Whenever I download a new image, I immediately switch to the
> Watery theme, with light background and nice coloured buttons on the
> windows.
>
> Of course, my eyes may not be typical. I am now aged 84, and I have had
> cataract operations on both eyes. My sight is actually quite good - my
> optometrist confirms that I am legal to drive without spectacles - but my
> adverse reaction to dark mode is strong and immediate.
>
> Just my 2p worth
>
> Peter Kenny
>
> -----Original Message-----
> stephan
> Sent: 27 August 2017 21:46
> To: [hidden email]
>
> On 27-08-17 22:37, Dimitris Chloupis wrote:
>> White or dark is a matter of preference. But the matter of preference
>> is also a matter of biology . Not all eyes are same.
>
> The research is pretty clear: a large majority of developers does better
> with light themes. I have been sufficiently clear on the choice to make
> Pharo6 theme dark default
>
> Stephan
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Richard Sargent
Administrator
On the history of screens and light versus dark...
[The TL;DR answer is "technological limitations of the era."]

Way back, in the days when Smalltalk was but a gleam in its fathers' eyes, we had CRT technology. You know, magnetic coils sweeping a beam of electrons across a phosphor coated glass surface to make the phosphor glow and present images to people on the other side of the glass. There were two common forms of this device: computer terminals and televisions. There wasn't a lot of difference between the two.

Back in those days, the electron beam hitting the phosphor typically caused a lot of "blooming" in terms of how much illumination occurred. In other words, when writing green text on black, the pixels of phosphor glowed brighter and spread out a bit into the surrounding black. Inverse video text, on the other hand, showed a green or white background with black text (the absence of electrons hitting the phosphor). The bloom from the background squeezed in to the letter space and made letters much harder to read.

Back in the 60s and 70s, computer screens tended to support 80x24 (or 25) lines of text. 80 because that was the width of a Hollerith punched card, of course. Graphics? Almost unheard of. There were efforts like Sketchpad [Sutherland, and probably et al.]. Graphics didn't make much of an appearance until the mid-70s with the early personal computers, most notably the Apple II. The earlier Radio Shack TRS-80 was purely character oriented, and the Exidy Sorcerer was character oriented but allowed one to programmatically define the glyphs used for the character set (which allowed a limited form of graphics).

Those early PCs utilized existing screen technology for their displays. By "existing", I mean televisions. The RF (radio frequency) conversion and the sloppy/low resolution of TVs at that time still left one with a greatly limited display capability.

The first IBM PCs came with a CGA resolution video adapter. You can look up the details. It was limited, to say the least.

About this time, the market for specialized monitors took off and the use of TVs as monitors started to dwindle. Coincident with this, the computer graphics market took off and the specialized monitors / resolution race began.

With higher and higher resolution and better electronics, the phosphor bloom effect was correspondingly reduced. And of course, with solid state displays, the bloom effect disappeared entirely. (It's hard to have that bloom when there is no phosphor and no electron beam sweeping over it.)

Coincident with the introduction of bitmapped graphics (the Smalltalk machines, things like the envisioned Dynabook, and so on) created the opportunity to have displays that mimicked the way we worked outside the computer world. i.e. dark text on white paper.
Reply | Threaded
|

abergel
In reply to this post by philippeback
Hi Phil,

Yes, I wrote a FIT file parser. FIT is used to store “scientific” images, in particular for astronomy and medicine.
Do you want the code?

Alexandre
-- 
_,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:
Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu
^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;.

On Aug 28, 2017, at 9:36 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

You can eat eggs all you want provided you burn the calories. They are shock full of amino acids.

Cholesterol is a precursor of testosterone, so, no cholesterol is going to put a man in a bad place.

See this forum thread for a clue: https://www.thisisant.com/forum/viewthread/4275

Phil

Davorin Rusevljan

Reply | Threaded
|

abergel
Ups… I think this FIT file format is for something else…

Alexandre
-- 

On Aug 28, 2017, at 3:36 PM, Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Phil,

Yes, I wrote a FIT file parser. FIT is used to store “scientific” images, in particular for astronomy and medicine.
Do you want the code?

Alexandre
-- 

Phil

Davorin Rusevljan

Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Uhnak
Or you people can just dim your screen instead of staring into a 60W lightbulb... then the theme doesn't matter.

On Mon, Aug 28, 2017 at 8:38 PM, Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]> wrote:

Alexandre
-- 

Hi Phil,

Do you want the code?

Alexandre
-- 

Phil

Davorin Rusevljan

Reply | Threaded
|

kilon.alios
Actually what you say makes no sense to me because my monitor is already at bare minimum. Its not the intensity, its the contrast. The problem obviously is not an exposure of 30 minutes. The mail I am writing now  has a white background. But its not a problem because I spent an 1 hour tops with email total time. I would like if Gmail had a dark theme but its no big deal.  However when one spent more than 8 hours it becomes a problem. 

It was the same when I was studying in UK law. I was very used into reading english because the vast majority of the coding books I had bought and reading since I was 13 years old were in english. It was not a problem reading for an hour, but after 5 hours both my eyes and brain were tired. Its that extra effort that accumulates hour by hour and the more time you spent, the more obvious it becomes. 5 hours reading a book in my mother tongue is like night and day. 

So  when I was spending a lot of hours working with Pharo the white them did became a major problem for me. Its not as if I see a light theme and after a few minutes I scream in pain "Oh my eyes are burning" :D

On Mon, Aug 28, 2017 at 9:55 PM Peter Uhnák <[hidden email]> wrote:
Or you people can just dim your screen instead of staring into a 60W lightbulb... then the theme doesn't matter.

Alexandre
-- 

Hi Phil,

Do you want the code?

Alexandre
-- 

Phil

Davorin Rusevljan

Reply | Threaded
|

philippeback
In reply to this post by abergel
Alexandre,

Sure, I have swimming files from my Garmin Swim watch and I'd love to graph them in Roassal/Datatable/Pharo.

Hope we are talking about the same format.

Phil

On Mon, Aug 28, 2017 at 8:36 PM, Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Phil,

Do you want the code?

Alexandre
-- 

Phil

Davorin Rusevljan

Reply | Threaded
|

philippeback
In reply to this post by Peter Uhnak
Dimming a LED screen is a bad idea. It flickers because of PWM.

My older Dell CCFL monitor feels better than brand new LED things with brightness down.

On Mon, Aug 28, 2017 at 8:54 PM, Peter Uhnák <[hidden email]> wrote:

Alexandre
-- 

Hi Phil,

Do you want the code?

Alexandre
-- 

Phil

Davorin Rusevljan

Reply | Threaded
|

philippeback
Dark Gmail, Dark Twitter, Wikipedia... etc no problem with Stylish.

Or make your own - here are a few I made.

I should do a dark Pharo.org :-)

Phil

On Mon, Aug 28, 2017 at 9:11 PM, Dimitris Chloupis <[hidden email]> wrote:
Actually what you say makes no sense to me because my monitor is already at bare minimum. Its not the intensity, its the contrast. The problem obviously is not an exposure of 30 minutes. The mail I am writing now  has a white background. But its not a problem because I spent an 1 hour tops with email total time. I would like if Gmail had a dark theme but its no big deal.  However when one spent more than 8 hours it becomes a problem. 

It was the same when I was studying in UK law. I was very used into reading english because the vast majority of the coding books I had bought and reading since I was 13 years old were in english. It was not a problem reading for an hour, but after 5 hours both my eyes and brain were tired. Its that extra effort that accumulates hour by hour and the more time you spent, the more obvious it becomes. 5 hours reading a book in my mother tongue is like night and day. 

So  when I was spending a lot of hours working with Pharo the white them did became a major problem for me. Its not as if I see a light theme and after a few minutes I scream in pain "Oh my eyes are burning" :D

On Mon, Aug 28, 2017 at 9:55 PM Peter Uhnák <[hidden email]> wrote:

Alexandre
-- 

Hi Phil,

Do you want the code?

Alexandre
-- 

Phil

Davorin Rusevljan

Reply | Threaded
|

Markus Stumptner
On 28/08/17 06:07, Dimitris Chloupis wrote:

I completely agree - dark mode is great for content that you want to
look cool, but no one consumes. :-)

You assume wrong cause dark themes have been dominating GUIs for over 3 decades now.
Not really; bright on dark was only dominant in the days of the CRT terminal when there were no "themes".  (Even if you could do it as a hardware switch, setting, say, a VT220 to black-on-white both looked terrible as it was more an uneven gray, and tended to dim  the tube more quickly by burning in the background.)

Instead, since full bitmap graphics happened, all screen interfaces back to Xerox's prototype office systems, then Lisa/Macintosh, and then Windows 2.1 have been using dark type on a white background for text work.  Partly this was because of the original office metaphor, but partly also because it was shown that it was easier (meaning, less error prone) to read.  

Here's a study that showed that participants were 26% more accurate in reading text that way (note that "contrast reversal" on displays in those days meant dark characters on white background):

Bauer, D., & Cavonius, C., R. (1980). Improving the legibility of visual display units through contrast reversal.
In E. Grandjean, E. Vigliani (Eds.),  Ergonomic Aspects of Visual Display Terminals (pp. 137-142).
London: Taylor & Francis

There were other studies in the 1980s that didn't report lower errors but instead faster reading with black on white. Academically, the matter's pretty much considered settled - black on white is better for most of the population, and that's on screen, not on paper. (You can substitute any degree of light or creamy for the white, that's really a variation of screen quality.)

The engineering workstations of the late 80s and 90s (Sun etc) used black and white as the application default as well, with white on black limited to console/shell windows. This was partly for consistency with the old style, partly for easy contrast with application windows in a multi-window environment.

Pharo was the rare exception of using a white theme. Light themes may be popular but white are definitely not.  The web is the last fort of bright themes, but the web was and still is eons behind when it comes to matters of UI.
Most other Smalltalks are dark-on-light by default all the way back to Smalltalk-80 out of Xerox PARC.  None of this had anything to do with the Web, which came after, but which obviously also profits from the same increase in readability.  Rather than behind, Smalltalk was ahead and the rest of the world followed.

The dark theme as default in Pharo I personally consider a step back. As someone who's been busy for 25+ years defending use of Smalltalk for real applications, a return to a primarily developer-cool presentation instead of a user-oriented default is IMO not a plus for a language branch that was billed as more industry-oriented (which IMO is not exactly the same as developer-oriented).  But I also understand the desire to attract developers with the look that's currently fashionable.

That said, I wonder if the recent preference for dark among developers (not Pharo-specific, but many languages) has to do with the rise of widespread code highlighting. I could see how colour highlighting shows up better on a dark background than being glared over by a white one. 

Markus
Reply | Threaded
|

kilon.alios
80s was the time of home computer with 1985 the rise of Amiga which was light years ahead of theme support, it practically established GUIs, GPU, dedicated hardware components, gaming, computer graphics and of course 3d graphics, together with many other things. Plus a theme was super easy to make because all you had to do is change the colour of foreground and background. Smalltalk lost its chance by making a huge mistake investing on Apple instead of Home computers. BASIC on the other hand did not make that mistake and its creators made sure it was available on every home computer. You turned on the computer and immediately sent you to a BASIC interpreter that acted also as the OS. It was BASIC that established the dark theme popularity as it chose it as its dafault theme. Smalltalk faded, BASIC became insanely popular and still dominates mainly through Visual Basic and Visual Basic .NET. Smalltalk would have been amazing as game orientated , easy to learn , home computer OS replacement for BASIC. So I am not surprised that dark theme has been such a big discussion here even though its non existent discussion to any other software I have used.  

On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 7:03 AM Markus Stumptner <[hidden email]> wrote:

You assume wrong cause dark themes have been dominating GUIs for over 3 decades now.
Not really; bright on dark was only dominant in the days of the CRT terminal when there were no "themes".  (Even if you could do it as a hardware switch, setting, say, a VT220 to black-on-white both looked terrible as it was more an uneven gray, and tended to dim  the tube more quickly by burning in the background.)

Instead, since full bitmap graphics happened, all screen interfaces back to Xerox's prototype office systems, then Lisa/Macintosh, and then Windows 2.1 have been using dark type on a white background for text work.  Partly this was because of the original office metaphor, but partly also because it was shown that it was easier (meaning, less error prone) to read.  

Here's a study that showed that participants were 26% more accurate in reading text that way (note that "contrast reversal" on displays in those days meant dark characters on white background):

Bauer, D., & Cavonius, C., R. (1980). Improving the legibility of visual display units through contrast reversal.
In E. Grandjean, E. Vigliani (Eds.),  Ergonomic Aspects of Visual Display Terminals (pp. 137-142).

There were other studies in the 1980s that didn't report lower errors but instead faster reading with black on white. Academically, the matter's pretty much considered settled - black on white is better for most of the population, and that's on screen, not on paper. (You can substitute any degree of light or creamy for the white, that's really a variation of screen quality.)

The engineering workstations of the late 80s and 90s (Sun etc) used black and white as the application default as well, with white on black limited to console/shell windows. This was partly for consistency with the old style, partly for easy contrast with application windows in a multi-window environment.

Pharo was the rare exception of using a white theme. Light themes may be popular but white are definitely not.  The web is the last fort of bright themes, but the web was and still is eons behind when it comes to matters of UI.
Most other Smalltalks are dark-on-light by default all the way back to Smalltalk-80 out of Xerox PARC.  None of this had anything to do with the Web, which came after, but which obviously also profits from the same increase in readability.  Rather than behind, Smalltalk was ahead and the rest of the world followed.

The dark theme as default in Pharo I personally consider a step back. As someone who's been busy for 25+ years defending use of Smalltalk for real applications, a return to a primarily developer-cool presentation instead of a user-oriented default is IMO not a plus for a language branch that was billed as more industry-oriented (which IMO is not exactly the same as developer-oriented).  But I also understand the desire to attract developers with the look that's currently fashionable.

That said, I wonder if the recent preference for dark among developers (not Pharo-specific, but many languages) has to do with the rise of widespread code highlighting. I could see how colour highlighting shows up better on a dark background than being glared over by a white one. 

Markus
Reply | Threaded
|

philippeback
In reply to this post by Markus Stumptner
White all over Smalltalks UIs are a reason why I do *not* use them.

Dark Pharo: good.

Properly themeable Pharo with a palette and logical color mappings: nirvana. I hope to  contribute to that. I did some GToolkit dark theming but it was too late for 6.0 so maybe for 7.

Try to code against a white background when you have floaters casting shadows on your retina. I sucks big time.

I noticed that a lot of older folk suffer from this. 

I once had a guy who wasn't telling younger team members that he wasn't able to read their document due to too small fonts. We are talking C level executives here...

These accessibility issues are going to become huge with people getting older and having cash to spend.

From what I can so see, hearing problems will be quite a thing with newer generations.

Anyway, there is NegativeScreen on Windows to get whatever I want.

Phil

On Aug 29, 2017 6:02 AM, "Markus Stumptner" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Markus
Reply | Threaded
|

kilon.alios
"I once had a guy who wasn't telling younger team members that he wasn't able to read their document due to too small fonts. We are talking C level executives here..."

You mean he was embarrassed to admit he could not read small fonts ? How small we talking here bellow 12 point size ? 

On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 11:28 AM [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
White all over Smalltalks UIs are a reason why I do *not* use them.

Dark Pharo: good.

Properly themeable Pharo with a palette and logical color mappings: nirvana. I hope to  contribute to that. I did some GToolkit dark theming but it was too late for 6.0 so maybe for 7.

Try to code against a white background when you have floaters casting shadows on your retina. I sucks big time.

I noticed that a lot of older folk suffer from this. 

I once had a guy who wasn't telling younger team members that he wasn't able to read their document due to too small fonts. We are talking C level executives here...

These accessibility issues are going to become huge with people getting older and having cash to spend.

From what I can so see, hearing problems will be quite a thing with newer generations.

Anyway, there is NegativeScreen on Windows to get whatever I want.

Phil

On Aug 29, 2017 6:02 AM, "Markus Stumptner" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Markus