Darwin Downloads > 3.5.2 no longer in .zip format

Darwin Downloads > 3.5.2 no longer in .zip format

GLASS mailing list
I noticed that after version 3.5.2, the Darwin downloads are in .dmg format so are not working with GsDevKit.

Is this intentional?

If so, what is the recommended way to install 3.5.3+ stones in GsDevKit?

Cheers,

Jupiter

Re: Darwin Downloads > 3.5.2 no longer in .zip format

GLASS mailing list
Hi,

Yes this change is intentional. Apple requires that software be signed
and notarized else there are problems installing and running.
zip files cannot be signed so we switched to dmg files on Darwin.

GsDevKit may need adjusting to cope with dmg files. Dale can comment
further.

Norm

On 3/11/2021 5:54 PM, Jupiter Jones via Glass wrote:

> I noticed that after version 3.5.2, the Darwin downloads are in .dmg format so are not working with GsDevKit.
>
> Is this intentional?
>
> If so, what is the recommended way to install 3.5.3+ stones in GsDevKit?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jupiter

Re: Darwin Downloads > 3.5.2 no longer in .zip format

GLASS mailing list
Hi Norm,

Thanks for the reply - I assumed as much.

We can just copy the install into place, however, I’m assuming the bigger issue is tODE 64bit support since there are no 32bit libs after 3.5.2.

I’m guessing tODE will be retired once Sparkle comes of age, but will GsDevKit endure?

Thanks again.

> On 12 Mar 2021, at 1:00 pm, Norm Green via Glass <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Yes this change is intentional. Apple requires that software be signed and notarized else there are problems installing and running.
> zip files cannot be signed so we switched to dmg files on Darwin.
>
> GsDevKit may need adjusting to cope with dmg files. Dale can comment further.
>
> Norm
>

> On 3/11/2021 5:54 PM, Jupiter Jones via Glass wrote:
>> I noticed that after version 3.5.2, the Darwin downloads are in .dmg format so are not working with GsDevKit.
>>
>> Is this intentional?
>>
>> If so, what is the recommended way to install 3.5.3+ stones in GsDevKit?
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Jupiter

Re: Darwin Downloads > 3.5.2 no longer in .zip format

GLASS mailing list
Jupiter,

The plan is to continue long term support of GsDevKit_home.
The long-term priorities are:
  1. get Rowan into production with both Pharo (Sparkle) and Dolphin (Jadeite) based GUIs.
  2. get the GsDevKit/GLASS ecosystem functional in an image that includes Rowan, which means Metacello and Monticello will need to be able to co-exist with Rowan
  3. get 32 bit tODE (a superset of GsDevKit/GLASS ecosystem)  functional in an image that includes Rowan. This is necessary because many of the scripts that are used in GsDevKit_home use tODE to provide some of the needed functionality.
  4. replace  the GsDevKit_home scripts that are based on 32-bit Pharo and 32-bit tODE with topaz solo scripts[1]
  5. begin porting GsDevKit/GLASS to Rowan
    1. a first order port to Rowan mainly involves adding the Rowan meta data to a project in a separate directory structure created by manually or automatically (eventually) converting Metacello baselines into Rowan meta data.
    2. porting to Rowan will be a pre-requisite to using Sparkle or Jadeite to development on projects in the GsDevKit/GLASS ecosystem, since neither GUI is expected to support Metacello/Monticello
  6. a second order port to Rowan will be to start porting selected projects to the base GemStone image (i.e., without a dependency on GLASS[2]) thus allows commercial customers to use the projects without requiring a boatload Pharo compatibility methods and classes to be added to their images
The ordering of these tasks is based upon the assumption that I will end dong the bulk of the work (which has been the case for the last decade:) and that the most important thing is to eliminate the reliance upon 32 bit executables in the  GsDevKit/GLASS ecosystem ...

Dale