Data Encryption

sergio_101

I have been tasked with throwing together a small web app that will hold the passwords to different projects for my company.

I would like to use seaside to do this, but the biggest requirement is that we need to be able to either:

- encrypt the entire database, so that if the machine was compromised physically, the data would be useless.

or..

- encrypt the username and password fields to facilitate the above, also.

i am thinking that the first option might be easiest to implement.

any ideas on how i would pull this off with pharo?

Thanks!

Re: Data Encryption

philippeback
Works marvels indeed.

I have made some more Seaside integrations for this one.

But Pharo3. Need to upgrade to latest Seaside and Pharo.

Phil

On Mon, Feb 20, 2017 at 3:06 PM, Hernán Morales Durand <[hidden email]> wrote:

I have been tasked with throwing together a small web app that will hold the passwords to different projects for my company.

I would like to use seaside to do this, but the biggest requirement is that we need to be able to either:

- encrypt the entire database, so that if the machine was compromised physically, the data would be useless.

or..

- encrypt the username and password fields to facilitate the above, also.

i am thinking that the first option might be easiest to implement.

any ideas on how i would pull this off with pharo?

Thanks!

Re: Data Encryption

Pierce Ng-3
On Mon, Feb 20, 2017 at 05:34:41AM -0800, sergio ruiz wrote:
> I have been tasked with throwing together a small web app that will hold
> the passwords to different projects for my company.

Here is a collection for reference. If one of these is suitable you can skip the
implementation and just deploy.

  http://opensourcepasswordmanager.com/

> - encrypt the entire database, so that if the machine was compromised
> physically, the data would be useless.

The NativeBoost version of my SQLite library supports SQLcipher which adds
transparent full database encryption to SQLite. It is not in the UFFI version
yet though.

  http://sqlcipher.net

> - encrypt the username and password fields to facilitate the above, also.

If you are already familiar with using crypto API like OpenSSL or NaCl then
Pharo's FFI is easy to get this done too.

Pierce

Re: Data Encryption

Mariano Martinez Peck
As for single username/pass encryption (not the whole DB), and assuming you want two-way encrypt (that you want to decrypt), I have used both, Rijndael and Blowfish, both in combination with SpsSplitPasswordStore.

Cheers,

On Tue, Feb 21, 2017 at 8:20 AM, Pierce Ng <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Mon, Feb 20, 2017 at 05:34:41AM -0800, sergio ruiz wrote:
> I have been tasked with throwing together a small web app that will hold
> the passwords to different projects for my company.

Here is a collection for reference. If one of these is suitable you can skip the
implementation and just deploy.

  http://opensourcepasswordmanager.com/

> - encrypt the entire database, so that if the machine was compromised
> physically, the data would be useless.

The NativeBoost version of my SQLite library supports SQLcipher which adds
transparent full database encryption to SQLite. It is not in the UFFI version
yet though.

  http://sqlcipher.net

> - encrypt the username and password fields to facilitate the above, also.

If you are already familiar with using crypto API like OpenSSL or NaCl then
Pharo's FFI is easy to get this done too.

Pierce

Re: Data Encryption

Alejandro Infante
Hi!
If it help I’m using NaCl to do secure the passwords. You should not store the passwords of your users, not even encrypted.

For securing the passwords I use Sha-512 over the salted password.
————————————
User>>initialize
super initialize.
salt := (Nacl randomBytes: 16)

User>>setPassword: aPassword
hashedPassword := Nacl hash: (salt , aPassword asByteArray)

User>>validatePassword: aPassword
^ hashedPassword asByteArray = (Nacl hash: salt asByteArray , aPassword asByteArray)
————————————

Notice that:
1) I have a different salt for each password, if a bad guy want the passwords he is going to need a different rainbow table for each user.
2) I do not store the password. I do not even store the hash of the plain password.
3) Still I’m able to validate the password.
* Note that I’m using Nacl>>randomBytes: to generate a cryptographically safe random value. Here is not really necessary, BUT you should use it if you are creating Session-IDs or Tokens.

Encrypting the database is *tricky*. You not only have to encrypt the database, but also secure the key. First you need to know how much security you want:
1) Be secure if someone hack into the user running pharo.
3) Be secure if someone steal the server.
4) Be secure if someone has physical access to the running server. (All your keys are in RAM)
2) Be secure if someone hack root. (I doubt anything is going to save you here)

For most projects/business (unless working with really sensitive data, such as medical data) securing the OS (users and root) and encrypting the hard-disk should be enough. Also do not forget to encrypt the connections. If everything is on the same server just use https. But you may need more if you use Load Balancers, multiple servers and databases.

Cheers,
Alejandro

On Feb 21, 2017, at 9:11 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:

As for single username/pass encryption (not the whole DB), and assuming you want two-way encrypt (that you want to decrypt), I have used both, Rijndael and Blowfish, both in combination with SpsSplitPasswordStore.

Cheers,

On Tue, Feb 21, 2017 at 8:20 AM, Pierce Ng <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Mon, Feb 20, 2017 at 05:34:41AM -0800, sergio ruiz wrote:
> I have been tasked with throwing together a small web app that will hold
> the passwords to different projects for my company.

Here is a collection for reference. If one of these is suitable you can skip the
implementation and just deploy.

  http://opensourcepasswordmanager.com/

> - encrypt the entire database, so that if the machine was compromised
> physically, the data would be useless.

The NativeBoost version of my SQLite library supports SQLcipher which adds
transparent full database encryption to SQLite. It is not in the UFFI version
yet though.

  http://sqlcipher.net

> - encrypt the username and password fields to facilitate the above, also.

If you are already familiar with using crypto API like OpenSSL or NaCl then
Pharo's FFI is easy to get this done too.

Pierce

Re: Data Encryption

sergio_101
Gotcha! thanks!

for whatever reason, they want something written from scratch.. in house..

On February 21, 2017 at 11:15:55 PM, Alejandro Infante ([hidden email]) wrote:

Here is a collection for reference. If one of these is suitable you can skip the
implementation and just deploy.

http://opensourcepasswordmanager.com/
----
peace,
sergio
photographer, journalist, visionary

Public Key: http://bit.ly/29z9fG0
#BitMessage BM-NBaswViL21xqgg9STRJjaJaUoyiNe2dV
http://www.Village-Buzz.com
http://www.ThoseOptimizeGuys.com
http://www.coffee-black.com
http://www.painlessfrugality.com
http://www.twitter.com/sergio_101
http://www.facebook.com/sergio101

On Wed, Feb 22, 2017 at 01:17:35AM -0300, Alejandro Infante wrote:
> salt := (Nacl randomBytes: 16)
>
> User>>setPassword: aPassword
> hashedPassword := Nacl hash: (salt , aPassword asByteArray)

Hi Alejandro,

Coincidentally, I've just updated my SHA256/512 password hashing library, which
wraps a C library of the same. The salt is variable length between 8 and 16
octets long, and the output is in the informally standard md5crypt format
"$id$salt$passwordhash".

Words:
  http://www.samadhiweb.com/blog/2017.02.18.shacrypt.html
  http://www.samadhiweb.com/blog/2013.11.17.shacrypt.html
  https://www.akkadia.org/drepper/sha-crypt.html

Code:
  https://github.com/PierceNg/PasswordCrypt

Pierce

Re: Data Encryption

Ben Coman
On Wed, Feb 22, 2017 at 9:21 PM, sergio ruiz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> for whatever reason, they want something written from scratch.. in house..

are they aware of Schneier's Law...
* https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2011/04/schneiers_law.html
* https://www.schneier.com/essays/archives/1999/03/cryptography_the_imp.html

cheers -ben

Re: Data Encryption

abergel
This is impressive Alejandro! Thanks for the explanation

Alexandre

Le 22 févr. 2017 à 01:17, Alejandro Infante <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> [...]

On Mon, Feb 20, 2017 at 05:34:41AM -0800, sergio ruiz wrote:
> I have been tasked with throwing together a small web app that will hold
> the passwords to different projects for my company.

Here is a collection for reference. If one of these is suitable you can skip the
implementation and just deploy.

  http://opensourcepasswordmanager.com/

> - encrypt the entire database, so that if the machine was compromised
> physically, the data would be useless.

The NativeBoost version of my SQLite library supports SQLcipher which adds
transparent full database encryption to SQLite. It is not in the UFFI version
yet though.

  http://sqlcipher.net

> - encrypt the username and password fields to facilitate the above, also.

If you are already familiar with using crypto API like OpenSSL or NaCl then
Pharo's FFI is easy to get this done too.

OH!

Sorry.. they don’t want to do the crypto stuff on our own..

just the CRUD stuff of managing the passwords..

but those were some really good links!

On February 22, 2017 at 9:19:05 AM, Alexandre Bergel ([hidden email]) wrote:

----
peace,
sergio
photographer, journalist, visionary

Public Key: http://bit.ly/29z9fG0
#BitMessage BM-NBaswViL21xqgg9STRJjaJaUoyiNe2dV
http://www.Village-Buzz.com
http://www.ThoseOptimizeGuys.com
http://www.coffee-black.com
http://www.painlessfrugality.com
http://www.twitter.com/sergio_101
http://www.facebook.com/sergio101

Re: Data Encryption

sergio_101
Hi, Alejandro..

yes, they are looking to encrypt the entire database.. you’re right, i think securing the OS and running over SSL is sufficient..

BUT..

i do appreciate you writeup on NaCl..

I am DEFINITELY using this on my next project..

Thanks!

On February 22, 2017 at 9:19:05 AM, Alexandre Bergel ([hidden email]) wrote:

Hi!
If it help I’m using NaCl to do secure the passwords. You should not store the passwords of your users, not even encrypted.
----
peace,
sergio
photographer, journalist, visionary

Public Key: http://bit.ly/29z9fG0
#BitMessage BM-NBaswViL21xqgg9STRJjaJaUoyiNe2dV
http://www.Village-Buzz.com
http://www.ThoseOptimizeGuys.com
http://www.coffee-black.com
http://www.painlessfrugality.com
http://www.twitter.com/sergio_101
http://www.facebook.com/sergio101

Re: Data Encryption

Ben Coman
This is speculation without knowing your scope and architecture,
but perhaps part of the puzzle is two factor authentication
via a $20 Yubico FIDO U2F Security Key.
https://www.yubico.com/store/

BSD licensed C library for server-side..

cheers -ben

P.S. It might be cool to link the yubico client-side libraries (LGPL)
into the VM for Iceberg to authenticate via U2F to github.