Data Kitchen: A data visualization project powered by Pharo. Feedback welcomed.

Data Kitchen: A data visualization project powered by Pharo. Feedback welcomed.

Offray
Hi,

In my effort to more create more meaningful computer mediated
experiences for me and other and to use Pharo as a medium for that I
have proposed the following project:

---

- Name: Data Kitchen: Frictionless data, moldable tools, pocket
infrastructures & permanent workshops for community empowerment
- url:
https://www.newschallenge.org/challenge/data/entries/data-kitchen-frictionless-data-moldable-tools-pocket-infrastructures-permanent-workshops-for-community-empowerment

---

It combines the ideas of moldable tools, agile visualization in this
community with some of other like frictionless data, by Open Knowledge
Foundation and what I call "pocket infrastructures". Any feedback is
welcomed. You can make it here in this list, but if you can made it on
their platform, from a simple "heart" (+1) or drop me a line, it would
be greatly appreciated and it will help to make more visible the project.

Thanks,

Offray

Re: [Pharo-users] Data Kitchen: A data visualization project powered by Pharo. Feedback welcomed.

SergeStinckwich
On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 2:07 AM, Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In my effort to more create more meaningful computer mediated experiences
> for me and other and to use Pharo as a medium for that I have proposed the
> following project:
>
> ---
>
> - Name: Data Kitchen: Frictionless data, moldable tools, pocket
> infrastructures & permanent workshops for community empowerment
> - url:
> https://www.newschallenge.org/challenge/data/entries/data-kitchen-frictionless-data-moldable-tools-pocket-infrastructures-permanent-workshops-for-community-empowerment
>
> ---
>
> It combines the ideas of moldable tools, agile visualization in this
> community with some of other like frictionless data, by Open Knowledge
> Foundation and what I call "pocket infrastructures". Any feedback is
> welcomed. You can make it here in this list, but if you can made it on their
> platform, from a simple "heart" (+1) or drop me a line, it would be greatly
> appreciated and it will help to make more visible the project.

I really like the idea of using Pharo/ROASSAL for data viz especially
in the context of southern countries (you talk about about Global
South in your document). Having a portable environment is definitively
a plus in the context of countries where the bandwidth is really
limited.
My lab is working with developing countries (including south-america)
and we could exchange some private emails on how to sustain such a
project.
I'm interested by such tool in the context of health and/or crisis
issues for example.

Regards,
--
Serge Stinckwich
UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)

Re: Data Kitchen: A data visualization project powered by Pharo. Feedback welcomed.

abergel
Done!
I did my bit!

Give your heart guys! It takes 2 minutes.

Alexandre
Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

On Oct 14, 2015, at 9:07 PM, Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

marcelo flores
Hey…I'm very interested!
I'm investigating about efficiency, redundancy and navigability in Databases.!

cool.

Marcelo Flores

On 15 October 2015 at 08:57, Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

  Juan Marcelo Flores Soliz
Working in Idioms Technology

Re: [Pharo-users] Data Kitchen: A data visualization project powered by Pharo. Feedback welcomed.

Offray
Hi Serge,

[...]

On 15/10/15 02:43, Serge Stinckwich wrote:
> I really like the idea of using Pharo/ROASSAL for data viz especially
> in the context of southern countries (you talk about about Global
> South in your document). Having a portable environment is definitively
> a plus in the context of countries where the bandwidth is really limited.

Yes. That is the case here. Even is cities like Bogotá (Colombia),
connectivity can be a pain in the arse. Having p2p or pocket solutions
that can work off-line and then sync and be ran from a usb thumdrive is
a context sensitive case. As I said in the call, most of the data
visualization solutions have complicated, web based, multilayered
infrastructures, while Pharo is a medium that goes the other way around:
light, understandable, self contained. Hopefully we will made a case for
a more diverse data visualization ecosystem that explore the opposite of
the current data trend (big data, web based tools).

> My lab is working with developing countries (including south-america)
> and we could exchange some private emails on how to sustain such a
> project. I'm interested by such tool in the context of health and/or
> crisis issues for example. Regards,

I plan to show more examples, the first related with political activism
and twitter, and the second one (at the end of the call) on medicine
information published by government agencies. We have worked on Open and
community innovation in health issues. A draft document (wrote entirely
on grafoscopio) on this experience can be found, in Spanish, on [1].
There I talk about digital infrastructures that support open/community
innovation in health and specifically on data narratives and
visualization (and even talk about IPython and grafoscopio).

[1] http://mutabit.com/repos.fossil/piamed/doc/tip/Libro/libro.pdf

So yes, I'm pretty interested in such talk and I have a shared interest
with health information. Lets continue in private. Just give me these 6
days until News Challenge call is over (any help sharing the link at [2]
meanwhile and with feedback is really appreciated).

[2]
https://www.newschallenge.org/challenge/data/evaluation/data-kitchen-frictionless-data-moldable-tools-pocket-infrastructures-permanent-workshops-for-community-empowerment/

Thanks,

Offray

On 15/10/15 08:57, Alexandre Bergel wrote:
Done!
I did my bit!

Give your heart guys! It takes 2 minutes.

+1 (please share your love, only 2 minutes).

BTW, I answered your comment. From yesterday to today the project went from almost 300 views to almost 500. Still away from views leaders, but nice to know this communities (Moose, Pharo, OKNF) can be so responsive.

Cheers,

Offray