Database Connection cannot deploy to runtime

Database Connection cannot deploy to runtime

James Foster-3
I'm using Dolphin Professional 4.01.3 on Win2K. I'm trying to deploy an
executable that includes a Database Connection.

I get an error that my package prerequisites include the Development System.
Browsing prerequisites shows that indeed the Database Connection package
includes the DBResultSetInspector and the DBRowInspector, which are
Inspector subclasses, and which are referenced from DBResultSet>>inspect and
DBRow>>inspect.

When I create a new package, Database Connection Development, and move these
two classes and the two methods into this new package, then I'm able to get
farther in the deployment process.

Is there something I'm missing? Should Database Connection be distributed as
two packages? Is it necessary for me to move things around in the base
classes in order to deploy my application?

James Foster
Fargo, ND

Re: Database Connection cannot deploy to runtime

Andy Bower
James,

> I'm using Dolphin Professional 4.01.3 on Win2K. I'm trying to deploy an
> executable that includes a Database Connection.
>
> I get an error that my package prerequisites include the Development
System.
> Browsing prerequisites shows that indeed the Database Connection package
> includes the DBResultSetInspector and the DBRowInspector, which are
> Inspector subclasses, and which are referenced from DBResultSet>>inspect
and
> DBRow>>inspect.
>
> When I create a new package, Database Connection Development, and move
these
> two classes and the two methods into this new package, then I'm able to
get
> farther in the deployment process.
>
> Is there something I'm missing? Should Database Connection be distributed
as
> two packages? Is it necessary for me to move things around in the base
> classes in order to deploy my application?

There is a problem as you suspect with the DB connection in Dolphin 4.01.
There are two ways to get around it. The first, although not strictly
"legal" (since it would allow some of the development components into the
runtime) is to simply ignore the message. This is the simplest approach and
I guess is the one used by most people deploying DB apps to date. If you do
this you should find that your deployed app works as normal providing you
don't make use of the Inspector subclasses.

The other approach is to do what you suggest and to split the DB Connection
package into two. Indeed this is the approach taken in Dolphin 4.5 (the next
scheduled release) where we have two packages, Database Connection Base and
Database Connection. The "base" package contains the runtime code leaving
only the development classes and methods in the other package.

Best Regards,

Andy Bower
Dolphin Support
http://www.object-arts.com
---
Are you trying too hard?
http://www.object-arts.com/Relax.htm
---

Re: Database Connection cannot deploy to runtime

Don Rylander-3
James,

I routinely get that warning, because of similar things in my image.  The
Development package is summarily removed during deployment if you use the
default settings in the wizard (I guess I'm assuming you're using the wizard to
deploy your app).  In my case, though, I haven't had it stop the process, and
everything proceeds as expected, creating a fully functional executable.

Do you get an .EXE, or does it simply stop the stripping process and refuse to
go on?

Don

Re: Database Connection cannot deploy to runtime

Don Rylander-3
Hmm, I'll bet Andy's reply is more helpful.  Never mind.

Don

Re: Database Connection cannot deploy to runtime

Bill Schwab-2
Andy,

> There is a problem as you suspect with the DB connection in Dolphin 4.01.
> There are two ways to get around it. The first, although not strictly
> "legal" (since it would allow some of the development components into the
> runtime) is to simply ignore the message. This is the simplest approach
and
> I guess is the one used by most people deploying DB apps to date. If you
do
> this you should find that your deployed app works as normal providing you
> don't make use of the Inspector subclasses.

I should have noticed this a long time ago, but, it was masked by another
problem that I've not taken the time to fix.  IIRC, shortly before the
release of 4.0 (or maybe between 4.x revisions??), I added some additional
uses of Aspect, after which 4.x greeted me with deployment warnings.  I
_think_ the problem is that the offending references to Aspect cannot be
stripped because they are used in the deployed apps.  Since my apps don't
leave UF/Shands, it didn't seem too urgent.

Have a good one,

Bill

--
Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.

Re: Database Connection cannot deploy to runtime

Blair McGlashan
"Andy Bower" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:9me0v3$1pjhl$[hidden email]...
> The other approach is to do what you suggest and to split the DB
Connection
> package into two. Indeed this is the approach taken in Dolphin 4.5 (the
next
> scheduled release) where we have two packages, Database Connection Base
and
> Database Connection. The "base" package contains the runtime code leaving
> only the development classes and methods in the other package.

Another approach is to add the #inspect methods to the 'development' or
'must strip' method categories. These are removed before pre-reqs are
calculated at deployment time, and so one should not get the warning. The
repackaging is a cleaner solution, but adding the categories is easier and a
bit less intrusive to do in a deployment script.

Regards

Blair