Database Support - ODBC

flebber
Hi everyone

I am new to Smalltalk. I am beginning a personal project a
database application, I have looking for a language and environment I
can be productive in long term and have full power in creating the
database and access to query database, stored procedures from that
language. I have been studying python/sqlachmeny, ruby/datamapper etc
and various other combinations but haven't felt comfortable.

Smalltalk environment looks promising, I want a tool to acheive my database project and have a tool to use for other
projects rather than having to consistently learn new tools. However I am looking
for some clarity on database support with Squeak and Smalltalk. I am assuming that squeak connects via ODBC, after reading the
article here http://onsmalltalk.com/squeak-smalltalk-and-databases

Is there a database that Squeak supports well. I am looking to use a
low cost options since I am an individual. Had thought of using
Postgresql or Oracle or MySQL.

Is Squeak/Smalltalk a good choice for database development projects? not web development like seaside.

Thanks

Sayth

Re: Database Support - ODBC

Michael van der Gulik-2

On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 3:17 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hi.

I don't know about SQL-based database support in Squeak. What is available and well-supported are (among other solutions) Magma and Gemstone. Magma is a Squeak-specific object storage thingie. GemStone is a heavy-weight commercial object database with a Squeak UI. Google them. They both store objects directly so you don't need to use SQL.

What you'll find lacking is the GUI. There is no really good table widget available and personally I find the state of the other widgets disappointing. A web-based app is your best bet for a nice looking GUI.

Gulik.

--
http://gulik.pbwiki.com/

cbc

Re: Database Support - ODBC

cbc
Hi.

There is an ODBC package for Squeak that I have been using
successfully for years, although not in heavy production environments
(http://www.squeaksource.com/ODBC).  There is a new package,
SqueakDBX, that connects to many databases as well, including those
you listed, I believe.  It apparently works well on most platforms,
although I have not used it yet
(http://www.squeaksource.com/SqueakDBX).  In addition, there are
native drivers for Postgres (api v2 -
http://www.squeaksource.com/PostgresV2 with object to relational
mapping Glorp at http://www.squeaksource.com/Glorp), MySQL
(http://www.squeaksource.com/MySQL and various other packages on
Squeaksource).

-Chris

Re: Database Support - ODBC

Andreas.Raab
Chris Cunningham wrote:
> There is an ODBC package for Squeak that I have been using
> successfully for years, although not in heavy production environments
> (http://www.squeaksource.com/ODBC).

We do. Our servers rely on the ODBC package heavily; I can vouch for the
the unixODBC/MySQL combo.

Cheers,
   - Andres