Database band reports...

patrick71
This post was updated on .
Hi,

My previous message stayed without responses, so I published it agin... I'm looking for a database band report component. The goal is to build quickly a PDF report from SQL requests.

An exemple is Lazreport, this is a tutorial.

Thank you for your help !

Re: Database band reports...

stepharo
Hi patrick

What is a band report?

Did you check Artefact because you can generate pdf with Artefact.

> My previous message stayed without responses, so I published it agin... I'm
> looking for a database band report component. The goal is to build quickly a
> PDF report from SQL requests. An exemple is  Lazreport, this is a tutorial
> <http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/LazReport_Tutorial>  .

Re: Database band reports...

Ben Coman
On Fri, Jul 8, 2016 at 5:45 PM, stepharo <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi patrick
>
> What is a band report?

http://webhelp.evisions.com/HelpFiles/Argos/4.2/en/Content/10101001.html

Sorry Patrick.  Pharo has such a GUI report generator.  But Artefact
seems to provide similar features via code...
https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/view/Books/job/EnterprisePharoBook/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/book-result/Artefact/Artefact.pdf

cheers -ben

> Did you check Artefact because you can generate pdf with Artefact.
>
> Stef
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> My previous message stayed without responses, so I published it agin...
>> I'm
>> looking for a database band report component. The goal is to build quickly
>> PDF report from SQL requests. An exemple is  Lazreport, this is a tutorial
>> <http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/LazReport_Tutorial>  .

Re: Database band reports...

patrick71
Ok, thanks you for responses. A band report is more than a PDF
generator... It's a queries manager with varaible management facilities
: details queries connect to master query, and you can manage sub report
bottlenek into other master reports. The band report generator has the
ability to manage page organisation, and editor add text styled... I
can't use samlltalk database without a good band report component.

But argos band report displayed under look to be fine, if there is a
possibility to use it with smaltalk... It looks like argos is a server.
But what about interfaces with smalltalk ?

cheers - Patrick

Le 08/07/2016 à 16:08, Ben Coman a écrit :

> On Fri, Jul 8, 2016 at 5:45 PM, stepharo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi patrick
>>
>> What is a band report?
> http://webhelp.evisions.com/HelpFiles/Argos/4.2/en/Content/10101001.html
>
> Sorry Patrick.  Pharo has such a GUI report generator.  But Artefact
> seems to provide similar features via code...
> https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/view/Books/job/EnterprisePharoBook/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/book-result/Artefact/Artefact.pdf
>
> cheers -ben
>
>> Did you check Artefact because you can generate pdf with Artefact.
>>
>> Stef
>>

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> My previous message stayed without responses, so I published it agin...
>>> I'm
>>> looking for a database band report component. The goal is to build quickly
>>> PDF report from SQL requests. An exemple is  Lazreport, this is a tutorial
>>> <http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/LazReport_Tutorial>  .

Re: Database band reports...

Ben Coman
I had a poke around and couldn't find any API documentation. If you
can find this someone could give a more considered opinion.

If you store your data in a relational database, perhaps you could use
a third party report generator like Pentaho or JasperReports[1].  I
believe these are designed to be bolted on to applications, so perhaps
they'll have a more accessible API. From Pharo you should be able to
use a REST based API [2] of Pentaho.  It apparently does band reports
[3].

[1] http://www.innoventsolutions.com/comparison-matrix.html
[2] https://help.pentaho.com/Documentation/6.0/0R0/070
[3] http://wiki.pentaho.com/display/Reporting/band

Disclaimer - This is just info I found for curiosity. I haven't used
any of these.

cheers -ben

P.S. Band reports features like the table in [1] would be a great
addition to the Pharo ecosystem.

On Sat, Jul 9, 2016 at 2:29 AM, anonyme <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ok, thanks you for responses. A band report is more than a PDF generator...
> It's a queries manager with varaible management facilities : details queries
> connect to master query, and you can manage sub report bottlenek into other
> master reports. The band report generator has the ability to manage page
> organisation, and editor add text styled... I can't use samlltalk database
> without a good band report component.
>
> But argos band report displayed under look to be fine, if there is a
> possibility to use it with smaltalk... It looks like argos is a server. But
> what about interfaces with smalltalk ?
>
> cheers - Patrick
>

> Le 08/07/2016 à 16:08, Ben Coman a écrit :
>>
>> On Fri, Jul 8, 2016 at 5:45 PM, stepharo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi patrick
>>>
>>> What is a band report?
>>
>> http://webhelp.evisions.com/HelpFiles/Argos/4.2/en/Content/10101001.html
>>
>> Sorry Patrick.  Pharo has such a GUI report generator.  But Artefact
>> seems to provide similar features via code...
>>
>> https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/view/Books/job/EnterprisePharoBook/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/book-result/Artefact/Artefact.pdf
>>
>> cheers -ben
>>
>>> Did you check Artefact because you can generate pdf with Artefact.
>>>
>>> Stef

Re: Database band reports...

patrick71
Ok, that's the response I imagined. So, I will use Jaspert report... But
a last question : Do you know is I could push a bouton into my Smalltalk
application and run a jasper report like this ? I think I could run any
a process from smalltalk source code...

Thank you again !
Patrick

Le 09/07/2016 à 15:33, Ben Coman a écrit :

> I had a poke around and couldn't find any API documentation. If you
> can find this someone could give a more considered opinion.
>

> If you store your data in a relational database, perhaps you could use
> a third party report generator like Pentaho or JasperReports[1].  I
> believe these are designed to be bolted on to applications, so perhaps
> they'll have a more accessible API. From Pharo you should be able to
> use a REST based API [2] of Pentaho.  It apparently does band reports
> [3].
>
> [1] http://www.innoventsolutions.com/comparison-matrix.html
> [2] https://help.pentaho.com/Documentation/6.0/0R0/070
> [3] http://wiki.pentaho.com/display/Reporting/band
>
> Disclaimer - This is just info I found for curiosity. I haven't used
> any of these.
>
> cheers -ben
>
> P.S. Band reports features like the table in [1] would be a great
> addition to the Pharo ecosystem.
>
> On Sat, Jul 9, 2016 at 2:29 AM, anonyme <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Ok, thanks you for responses. A band report is more than a PDF generator...
>> It's a queries manager with varaible management facilities : details queries
>> connect to master query, and you can manage sub report bottlenek into other
>> master reports. The band report generator has the ability to manage page
>> organisation, and editor add text styled... I can't use samlltalk database
>> without a good band report component.
>>
>> But argos band report displayed under look to be fine, if there is a
>> possibility to use it with smaltalk... It looks like argos is a server. But
>> what about interfaces with smalltalk ?
>>
>> cheers - Patrick

>>> http://webhelp.evisions.com/HelpFiles/Argos/4.2/en/Content/10101001.html
>>>
>>> Sorry Patrick.  Pharo has such a GUI report generator.  But Artefact
>>> seems to provide similar features via code...
>>>
>>> https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/view/Books/job/EnterprisePharoBook/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/book-result/Artefact/Artefact.pdf
>>>
>>> cheers -ben

Re: Database band reports...

alistairgrant
On Mon, Jul 11, 2016 at 09:00:27AM +0200, anonyme wrote:
> Ok, that's the response I imagined. So, I will use Jaspert report... But a
> last question : Do you know is I could push a bouton into my Smalltalk
> application and run a jasper report like this ? I think I could run any a
> process from smalltalk source code...

For Unixy platforms see OSSubprocess:

Metacello new
    configuration: 'OSSubprocess';
    repository: 'github://marianopeck/OSSubprocess:master/repository';
    version: #stable;
    load.

HTH,
Alistair