DateAndTime class

Scott Deans
Hi

I was wanting to implement some Locale specific functions in a project I'm
doing. Namely time zones.
The DateAndTime class looked perfect but I see that none of the methods have
been implemented as yet.
Is this an oversight or will this class be implemented in the near future.

Best wishes

Scott Deans

Re: DateAndTime class

Richard A. Harmon
On Sat, 7 Apr 2001 14:13:55 +0100, "Scott Deans"
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>Hi
>
>I was wanting to implement some Locale specific functions in a project I'm
>doing. Namely time zones.
>The DateAndTime class looked perfect but I see that none of the methods have
>been implemented as yet.
>Is this an oversight or will this class be implemented in the near future.

Scott I made available an implementation of the ANSI <DateAndTime> and
<Duration> protocols for Squeak 2.7 and Dolphin 3.0 about a year ago.
It is pretty much the same implementation for both.  I would happily
send you a copy of the Dolphin version.  You might want to take a look
at it.

It assumes the user sets the local offset from UTC, zone, and daylight
savings names and abbreviations.  What gave me fits was accounting for
daylight savings.  I used a crude experimental implementation of a
RuleDate class (ie 1st Tues. in Nov.) and then used two of these for
the start and end date of daylight savings period that I checked (and
updated when required) when creating a new DateAndTime.

The <DateAndTime> and <Duration> implementation uses the Dolphin Date
and Time classes.  I have decided re-working it was next on my list
after re-working ScaledDecimal to rid it of some small anomalies.  I
poked around some in Windows documentation. and all the locale stuff
looks pretty straight forward with the advantage that Windows will
deal with daylight savings and the funky RuleDate class can be thrown
away.  Only a few messages have to deal with this stuff.

I thought I would use the locale and UTC stuff from Windows.  It seems
to have the zone, and daylight savings names and abbreviations and
handles all this using the locale.

I also have a modified version of CampSmalltalk SUnit ANSI tests for
all the <DateAndTime> and <Duration> messages.  I can send this along
also.

I'm currently re-working Eric Arseneau's SIF.  He's done some really
nice work with it.  He has implementations on his site for Dolphin,
Squeak, VW, and VAST.  I wanted some minor changes to use it to load a
common SIF CampSmalltalk SUnit ANSI tests on all versions.  I reworked
the Dolphin version and it builds a Package instance from the SIF
file.  I'll get to re-working <ScaledDecimal>, <DateAndTime>, and
<Duration> after I finish this SIF stuff.

Let me know if you want the <DateAndTime> and <Duration> stuff.  I
won't get to re-working the locale for a a while yet and it would save
me the trouble, and there might be others that could use it.

--
Richard A. Harmon          "The only good zombie is a dead zombie"
[hidden email]           E. G. McCarthy

Re: DateAndTime class

Scott Deans
"Richard A. Harmon" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...
> On Sat, 7 Apr 2001 14:13:55 +0100, "Scott Deans"
> <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Richard

Thanks for the offer!
I'd really appreciate a copy.

I've done some Locale specific stuff in Java before and it does it well. I'm
not hot on the Windows API (starting my life with Java) and don't really
want to go to that dark region.

Just attach the files to a message to my e-mail address.

Many thanks

Scott