Dealing with Preferences in external packages?

Dealing with Preferences in external packages?

Stéphane Ducasse
Now that setting is starting to get integrated (great) we will also face the problem
of branching.
        For example, how do we manage that OB uses Preferences.... and that we don't.
        Any idea or process is welcome.

Of course we can have a package full of override but this is the ultimate solution
        before complete fork.

Re: Dealing with Preferences in external packages?

Gary Chambers-4
"Shared" settings will introduce another kind of package dependency...
Perhaps
there is some benefit of all settings being local to a package but
cross-linked in some way such
that the compatible preferences all change value at the same time in the
settings browsers?

There will always be some kind of compromise, one way or the other, but it
might work ;-)

Regards, Gary

> Now that setting is starting to get integrated (great) we will also face
> the problem
> of branching.
> For example, how do we manage that OB uses Preferences.... and that we
> don't.
> Any idea or process is welcome.
>
> Of course we can have a package full of override but this is the ultimate
> solution
> before complete fork.
>
> Stef

Re: Dealing with Preferences in external packages?

Lukas Renggli
That's a serious problem, but given that OmniBrowser is pretty modular
I guess that the preferences can be factored out into an
OBPharoPlatform.

Lukas

2009/12/7 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:

> Now that setting is starting to get integrated (great) we will also face the problem
> of branching.
>        For example, how do we manage that OB uses Preferences.... and that we don't.
>        Any idea or process is welcome.
>
> Of course we can have a package full of override but this is the ultimate solution
>        before complete fork.
>
> Stef

Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Dealing with Preferences in external packages?

Stéphane Ducasse
would be nice.

On Dec 7, 2009, at 7:11 PM, Lukas Renggli wrote:

> That's a serious problem, but given that OmniBrowser is pretty modular
> I guess that the preferences can be factored out into an
> OBPharoPlatform.
>
> Lukas
>
> 2009/12/7 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:
>> Now that setting is starting to get integrated (great) we will also face the problem
>> of branching.
>>        For example, how do we manage that OB uses Preferences.... and that we don't.
>>        Any idea or process is welcome.
>>
>> Of course we can have a package full of override but this is the ultimate solution
>>        before complete fork.
>>
>> Stef

> Lukas Renggli
> http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Dealing with Preferences in external packages?

You lost me gary :)

On Dec 7, 2009, at 6:56 PM, Gary Chambers wrote:

> "Shared" settings will introduce another kind of package dependency...
> Perhaps
> there is some benefit of all settings being local to a package but
> cross-linked in some way such
> that the compatible preferences all change value at the same time in the
> settings browsers?
>
> There will always be some kind of compromise, one way or the other, but it
> might work ;-)
>
> Regards, Gary

I was thinking ahead to the point where there would be "shared" settings
amongst disparate packages... would be nice to not introduce a superficail
dependency.

Regards, Gary