Debugger/Inspector behavior difference when Amber not served

Debugger/Inspector behavior difference when Amber not served

Pavel Krivanek-3
Hi,

out of curiosity, I tried to check how Amber can run without being supported by a web server, so I tried to open the `index.html ` directly as a file on disc. Legacy IDE can still work, but I have found one interesting difference that I cannot explain.

When you try to run a debugger (`self halt`) or an inspector, the system fails on a JavaScript error in `isSmalltalkObject:`. When you do the same on the served system, it works, but there is no related HTTP request of any kind. Do you have any clue what makes it fail?

Cheers,
-- Pavel

Re: Debugger/Inspector behavior difference when Amber not served

Herby Vojčík
On 15. 5. 2020 8:18, Pavel Krivanek wrote:
> Hi,
>
> out of curiosity, I tried to check how Amber can run without being
> supported by a web server, so I tried to open the `index.html ` directly
> as a file on disc. Legacy IDE can still work, but I have found one

In what configuration? In Brave, it fails to load b/c access to
localStorage fails. In Firefox I loaded it fine. (in both cases a new
project created by `amber init`).

> interesting difference that I cannot explain.
>
> When you try to run a debugger (`self halt`) or an inspector, the system
> fails on a JavaScript error in `isSmalltalkObject:`. When you do the

For me, in firefox, it doesn't; actually, it runs as expected ("Halt
encountered" and stack trace).

> same on the served system, it works, but there is no related HTTP
> request of any kind. Do you have any clue what makes it fail?
>
> Cheers,
> -- Pavel

Herby

Re: Debugger/Inspector behavior difference when Amber not served

Herby Vojčík
On 15. 5. 2020 8:18, Pavel Krivanek wrote:
> Hi,
>
> out of curiosity, I tried to check how Amber can run without being
> supported by a web server, so I tried to open the `index.html ` directly

Thanks for your curiosity, it ended up with issues 1254 and 1255. :-)

Herby