Debugger bug (minor)

Leandro Caniglia
Consider this method

Object >> m
"
Object new m
"
#(1) do: [:n | ]; do: [:n | n halt].

You can debug it by executing the comment because of the halt. Now look at the debugger: the selection at the second line ([] in Object >>m) doens't look right. Does it? Note however that Hop, Skip and Jump would work well. So this is just a selection mistake. But might be misleading if the blocks had a lot of code inside.

Javier told me the solution, so I wrote a fix in this email, but then I remembered that the fix was in a hidden class. Therefore I removed the code from the email. Unfortunately my Delete key didn't work, so I had no option but to hide my code here instead of deleting it. At least I cannot see it here anymore. Can you? I hope no, because I did my best to keep it secret.

whoContains: position
| node |
(icStart isNil or: [icEnd isNil]) ifTrue: [^nil].
receiver isCascade
ifFalse: [(node := receiver whoContains: position) isNil ifFalse: [^node]].
arguments
do: [:arg | (node := arg whoContains: position) isNil ifFalse: [^node]].
(position between: icStart and: icEnd) ifFalse: [^nil].
^self

/Leandro

*** this signature added by listserv *** *** Visit http://www.listserv.dfn.de/archives/vswe-l.html *** *** for archive browsing and VSWE-L membership management ***
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Debugger bug (minor)

Carl Gundel-3

I only see the fix if I squint.  ;-)

-Carl

From: Using Visual Smalltalk for Windows/Enterprise [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Leandro Caniglia
Sent: Wednesday, April 20, 2011 2:47 PM
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Debugger bug (minor)

Consider this method

Object >> m

"

Object new m

"

#(1) do: [:n | ]; do: [:n | n halt].

You can debug it by executing the comment because of the halt. Now look at the debugger: the selection at the second line ([] in Object >>m) doens't look right. Does it? Note however that Hop, Skip and Jump would work well. So this is just a selection mistake. But might be misleading if the blocks had a lot of code inside.

Javier told me the solution, so I wrote a fix in this email, but then I remembered that the fix was in a hidden class. Therefore I removed the code from the email. Unfortunately my Delete key didn't work, so I had no option but to hide my code here instead of deleting it. At least I cannot see it here anymore. Can you? I hope no, because I did my best to keep it secret.

whoContains: position

| node |

(icStart isNil or: [icEnd isNil]) ifTrue: [^nil].

receiver isCascade

ifFalse: [(node := receiver whoContains: position) isNil ifFalse: [^node]].

arguments

do: [:arg | (node := arg whoContains: position) isNil ifFalse: [^node]].

(position between: icStart and: icEnd) ifFalse: [^nil].

^self

/Leandro

*** this signature added by listserv *** *** Visit http://www.listserv.dfn.de/archives/vswe-l.html *** *** for archive browsing and VSWE-L membership management ***