Debugger fixes was Re: Getting Pharo 1.0 released

Debugger fixes was Re: Getting Pharo 1.0 released

Michael Roberts-2
Ok Eliot has applied them to the squeak trunk. I'm not near a big
enough machine so I'll look later tonight but if anyone is keen please
make a start.

Cheers mike

On Sunday, September 6, 2009, Stéphane Ducasse
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> good idea!
> would be nice that 1.0 got them
> Stef
>
> On Sep 5, 2009, at 11:02 PM, Michael Roberts wrote:
>
>> Hi Stef, I am waiting... he suggested I bug him ;-) which I will do
>>
>> cheers,
>> Mike
>>
>> On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 8:51 AM, Stéphane
>> Ducasse<[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Did eliot issue them?

Re: Debugger fixes was Re: Getting Pharo 1.0 released

Stéphane Ducasse
I added
        addRepository39ToAllPackages to the latest scriptLoader version
so that when you add the squeak trunk you can merge

Now the problem is that eliot was working on an old 3.9 image or
croquet 3.8  and that we fixed a lot
of things already. So merging his changes will not be that easy.

Re: Debugger fixes was Re: Getting Pharo 1.0 released

Michael Roberts-2
Ok, i am updating the tracker on progress.

cheers,
Mike

On Sun, Sep 6, 2009 at 5:16 PM, Stéphane
Ducasse<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I added
>        addRepository39ToAllPackages to the latest scriptLoader version
> so that when you add the squeak trunk you can merge
>
> Now the problem is that eliot was working on an old 3.9 image or
> croquet 3.8  and that we fixed a lot
> of things already. So merging his changes will not be that easy.
>
> Stef

Re: Debugger fixes was Re: Getting Pharo 1.0 released

Michael Roberts-2
Stef, all, a process question...

so I am merging closure fixes from squeak trunk into pharo-core....

Prior to doing this in MC I had filed out Eliot's first exceptions
change set from a squeak trunk image giving me the diff that was
applied to the base squeak-trunk image during the system update.
Comparing this to Pharo-core I saw we already had all the changes his
specific cs/MC made so i marked that initially on the tracker as
complete, separately you did the same in a different issue. However,
this is not the complete difference that could be applied as you
commented on the tracker.

In principle unless we have access to the base image from which the
fixes came, assuming they did not come from squeak trunk, we don't
know if squeak trunk already had fixes required by Eliot and also in
his base (presume a Qwaq image), therefore not needing to be merged,
or if the patch applied to Squeak trunk contains everything to fix the
job at hand (closure integration). So, in principle we have to merge
in everything and I guess this could require quite a bit of review and
testing.

this could apply to any fixes we want to apply from Squeak trunk so i
thought I would ask. obviously it's up to the merger to make these
choices, but now squeak trunk is moving at a good pace I guess we
should think about it.

what would be really helpful in the merge tool would be to see the
ancestry of the source so you could see which named MC package it came
from and where it was in the ancestry chain. i.e if it is not the head
package.  Gary, any spare time to add features to the merge tool?

thanks,
Mike