Debugger

Rubén Parra Savall

Hi everybody,

there's a way to run the debugger although your application doesn't fail??

I would like to know it because if it's possible I can inspect the values of
some variables.

Cheers,
Rubén

Descubre la descarga digital con MSN Music. Más de un millón de canciones.
http://music.msn.es/

RE: Debugger

Sattler, Thomas (IT)
Try setting a breakpoint.  The debugger will open at that point.

AW: Debugger

Nowak, Helge
or watchpoints if it is just for looking at values of variables

Try setting a breakpoint.  The debugger will open at that point.

RE: AW: Debugger

Rubén Parra Savall

Breakpoint, that's perfect

But Helge I'm interested in WatchPoints but I don't know how or/and where I
have to put them! Because in the menu, I see "Insert BreakPoint" but not the
option "Insert WatchPoint".
I hope you could help me

Thanks in advance,
Ruben

>From: "Nowak, Helge" <[hidden email]>
>To: "Sattler, Thomas (IT)" <[hidden email]>,Rubén Parra
>Savall <[hidden email]>,<[hidden email]>
>Subject: AW: Debugger
>Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 16:19:20 +0100
>
>or watchpoints if it is just for looking at values of variables

Descarga gratis la Barra de Herramientas de MSN
http://www.msn.es/usuario/busqueda/barra?XAPID=2031&DI=1055&SU=http%3A//www.hotmail.com&HL=LINKTAG1OPENINGTEXT_MSNBH

AW: AW: Debugger

Nowak, Helge
Hi Ruben,

see the Application Developer's Guide, Chapter 16, "Debugging Techniques" which describes the various flavours of "probes" and hwo you set them. For short: place the cursor where you want the break or watch point, select "Insert Probe" from the context menu and you'll have a wide choice of configuring your probes.

HTH
Helge

But Helge I'm interested in WatchPoints but I don't know how or/and where I
have to put them! Because in the menu, I see "Insert BreakPoint" but not the
option "Insert WatchPoint".
I hope you could help me

Thanks in advance,
Ruben

>From: "Nowak, Helge" <[hidden email]>
>To: "Sattler, Thomas (IT)" <[hidden email]>,Rubén Parra
>Savall <[hidden email]>,<[hidden email]>
>Subject: AW: Debugger
>Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 16:19:20 +0100
>
>or watchpoints if it is just for looking at values of variables

Re: AW: Debugger

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
Re: AW: Debugger

Try 'insert probe',

Cheers!

-Boris
(Sent from a BlackBerry)

But Helge I'm interested in WatchPoints but I don't know how or/and where I
have to put them! Because in the menu, I see "Insert BreakPoint" but not the
option "Insert WatchPoint".
I hope you could help me

Thanks in advance,
Ruben

>From: "Nowak, Helge" <[hidden email]>
>To: "Sattler, Thomas (IT)" <[hidden email]>,Rubén Parra
>Savall <[hidden email]>,<[hidden email]>
>Subject: AW: Debugger
>Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 16:19:20 +0100
>
>or watchpoints if it is just for looking at values of variables

Charles A. Monteiro-2
I'm surprised that nobody let's our new friend know of one of Smalltalk's
gem's i.e. "self halt." , like most things Smalltalk , it can just send
itself message,  and basically operate on itself :), that still makes me
smile.

Now , in the context of a source code versioning environment "accepting"
anything including "self halt" will dirty the containing package. So in
most cases a breakpoint is preferable.

Another method of checking out state would be to use something like the
ProgrammingExtensions package which provide for mouse menu options that
allows one to open an inspector on different aspects of the UI the mouse
is on. That can as well be achieved more cumbersomely by breaking in via
Control-Y.

-Charles

--
Charles A. Monteiro
http://wiki.nycsmalltalk.org
http://monteirofusion.blogspot.com

Re: AW: Debugger

Dave Stevenson-2
Ctrl-y may not always interrupt the process you want. Ctrl-\
(control-backslash) will bring up a process monitor on all running
processes, effectively blocking the non-critical ones. Then you can
select yours in the list and debug it (or terminate, inspect, etc.),
then close the process monitor and work in the debugger. The process
monitor can also be opened in a sampling (non-blocking) mode from the
launcher menu: 'Debug' -> 'Open Process Monitor', in which there is less
need to close it once your debugger is up.

You can also debug a snippet of code from the outset by highlighting it
and choosing 'debug it <Ctrl-b>' instead of 'do it <Ctrl-d'.

Dave

Charles A. Monteiro wrote:

> I'm surprised that nobody let's our new friend know of one of
> Smalltalk's gem's i.e. "self halt." , like most things Smalltalk , it
> can just send itself message,  and basically operate on itself :), that
> still makes me smile.
>
> Now , in the context of a source code versioning environment "accepting"
> anything including "self halt" will dirty the containing package. So in
> most cases a breakpoint is preferable.
>
> Another method of checking out state would be to use something like the
> ProgrammingExtensions package which provide for mouse menu options that
> allows one to open an inspector on different aspects of the UI the mouse
> is on. That can as well be achieved more cumbersomely by breaking in via
> Control-Y.
>
> -Charles
>

> On Tue, 22 May 2007 11:46:23 -0400, Boris Popov <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Try 'insert probe',
>>
>> Cheers!
>>
>> -Boris
>> (Sent from a BlackBerry)

it most always interrupts the process I want :), but yeah sometimes the
force is weak within me and once in a while I miss :)

On Tue, 22 May 2007 12:19:19 -0400, Charles A. Monteiro
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm surprised that nobody let's our new friend know of one of
> Smalltalk's gem's i.e. "self halt." , like most things Smalltalk , it
> can just send itself message,  and basically operate on itself :), that
> still makes me smile.
>
> Now , in the context of a source code versioning environment "accepting"
> anything including "self halt" will dirty the containing package. So in
> most cases a breakpoint is preferable.
>
> Another method of checking out state would be to use something like the
> ProgrammingExtensions package which provide for mouse menu options that
> allows one to open an inspector on different aspects of the UI the mouse
> is on. That can as well be achieved more cumbersomely by breaking in via
> Control-Y.
>
> -Charles
>

> On Tue, 22 May 2007 11:46:23 -0400, Boris Popov <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Try 'insert probe',
>>
>> Cheers!
>>
>> -Boris
>> (Sent from a BlackBerry)

Alexander Lazarevic'
Dave Stevenson schrieb:
> Ctrl-y may not always interrupt the process you want. Ctrl-\
> (control-backslash) will bring up a process monitor on all running
> processes, effectively blocking the non-critical ones.

Unfortunately the popup of the process monitor seems to be bound to some
keycode and not the character \. So on my keyboard with german layout
pressing Ctrl-# opens the process monitor.

Alex

RE: AW: Debugger

Steven Kelly
> Dave Stevenson schrieb:
> > Ctrl-y may not always interrupt the process you want. Ctrl-\
> > (control-backslash) will bring up a process monitor on all running
> > processes, effectively blocking the non-critical ones.
>
> Unfortunately the popup of the process monitor seems to be
> bound to some keycode and not the character \. So on my
> keyboard with german layout pressing Ctrl-# opens the process monitor.

And in Finland, Ctrl-§, where § is the top left key, next to 1. It's actually a good thing that it's bound to a keycode: Ctrl-\ would be impossible on a Finnish keyboard, since \ is produced as Ctrl-Alt-+, so Ctrl-\ would be Ctrl-Ctrl-Alt-+.

Back when Ctrl-\ was being decided I pointed this out and suggested using Ctrl-, for debug and Ctrl-. for Process Monitor. Those keys are in the same position on almost all keyboards, are accessible on all without any other modifier keys, and don't overlap with standard keys (e.g. Ctrl-Y for redo). They were also kind of nice semantically: comma for pausing one process, and full stop for stopping the whole system. Unfortunately the VM doesn't recognise Ctrl-. (or at least didn't then).

Steve

Re: AW: Debugger

Alexander Lazarevic'
Steven Kelly schrieb:
> And in Finland, Ctrl-§, where § is the top left key, next to 1. It's actually a good thing that it's bound to a keycode: Ctrl-\ would be impossible on a Finnish keyboard, since \ is produced as Ctrl-Alt-+, so Ctrl-\ would be Ctrl-Ctrl-Alt-+.

On a german keyboard this is also hard to do, since you have to press
Ctrl-AltGr-\. But on the other hand this feature is hard to document:
"Press Ctrl and the key that produces keycode 42" ;)

> Back when Ctrl-\ was being decided I pointed this out and suggested using Ctrl-, for debug and Ctrl-. for Process Monitor. Those keys are in the same position on almost all keyboards, are accessible on all without any other modifier keys, and don't overlap with standard keys (e.g. Ctrl-Y for redo). They were also kind of nice semantically: comma for pausing one process, and full stop for stopping the whole system. Unfortunately the VM doesn't recognise Ctrl-. (or at least didn't then).

Indeed, that scheme would make much more sense to me.

Alex

RE: AW: Debugger

Thomas Brodt
For a further completion of the national character set dilemma, ^D^D^D^D^D^D^D table, on a swiss german keyboard it is Ctrl-$, which
is however the same position as the # on a pure german keyboard, but produces another character. Ctrl-\ would also be impossible to
type here.

I wonder if this was the best solution for a keystroke that could save your image if you only could remember it. "It wasn't Ctrl-\
(that's what I know and always read) as I am not in front of a US keyboard, but what the heck was it then..."

Thomas

RE: AW: Debugger

Terry Raymond
The various special debugging key actions are programmable.

Look at InputState class side in "key settings" protocol.
There are setters for the "all interrupt" key and key
modifiers.

Terry

Terry Raymond
Crafted Smalltalk
80 Lazywood Ln.
Tiverton, RI  02878
(401) 624-4517      [hidden email]
<http://www.craftedsmalltalk.com>

RE: AW: Debugger

Rubén Parra Savall

Another question, is it possible to force an specific value for variables in
the debugger? In afirmative case, how?

Cheers,
Rubén

>From: "Terry Raymond" <[hidden email]>
>To: <[hidden email]>
>Subject: RE: AW: Debugger
>Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 08:15:26 -0400
>
>The various special debugging key actions are programmable.
>
>Look at InputState class side in "key settings" protocol.
>There are setters for the "all interrupt" key and key
>modifiers.
>
>Terry

>Terry Raymond
>Crafted Smalltalk
>80 Lazywood Ln.
>Tiverton, RI  02878
>(401) 624-4517      [hidden email]
><http://www.craftedsmalltalk.com>

Acepta el reto MSN Premium: Protección para tus hijos en internet.
Descárgalo y pruébalo 2 meses gratis.
http://join.msn.com?XAPID=1697&DI=1055&HL=Footer_mailsenviados_proteccioninfantil

RE: AW: Debugger

Terry Raymond
What variables?

Please describe what you are looking for.

Terry

Terry Raymond
Crafted Smalltalk
80 Lazywood Ln.
Tiverton, RI  02878
(401) 624-4517      [hidden email]
<http://www.craftedsmalltalk.com>

Re: AW: Debugger

kobetic
Rubén Parra Savall wrote:

> Another question, is it possible to force an specific value for
> variables in the debugger? In afirmative case, how?
>
> Cheers,
> Rubén

Just select the variable, simply overwrite the value in the next pane with a smalltalk expression and do an Accept (from the contextual menu). The result of the expression will be assigned to that variable.

Martin

Re: AW: Debugger

Alexander Lazarevic'
If I hook into process: event in InputState I can't see any events being
produced for pressing Ctrl-. or Ctrl-, (ok exactly only NoOp events on
WindowsXP). I also have a hard time to understand the comment of
allProcessInterruptKey and it's implementation. How can
AllProcessInterruptKey be something else than a character value? The
default value of AllProcessInterruptKey is 28, which corresponds to
pressing Ctrl-# on my machine. What's the use of
allProcessInterruptUseCtrl when the AllProcessInterruptKey is defined as
a Ctrl-key code?

Alex

Terry Raymond schrieb:

> The various special debugging key actions are programmable.
>
> Look at InputState class side in "key settings" protocol.
> There are setters for the "all interrupt" key and key
> modifiers.
>
> Terry

> Terry Raymond
> Crafted Smalltalk
> 80 Lazywood Ln.
> Tiverton, RI  02878
> (401) 624-4517      [hidden email]
> <http://www.craftedsmalltalk.com>

Re: AW: Debugger

Alexander Lazarevic'
Thomas Brodt schrieb:
> I wonder if this was the best solution for a keystroke that could save your image if you only could remember it. "It wasn't Ctrl-\
> (that's what I know and always read) as I am not in front of a US keyboard, but what the heck was it then..."

It is even more confusing, because with the same keyboard but on
linux/X11 I have to stretch and press Ctrl-AltGr-\ to get the
processmonitor ... So with a non-US keyboard you have the choice using
windows and guessing the shortcut or using linux and most likely are not
able to enter the shortcut. ;)

Re: AW: Debugger

Alexander Lazarevic'
Alexander Lazarevic' schrieb:
> I also have a hard time to understand the comment of
> allProcessInterruptKey and it's implementation. How can
> AllProcessInterruptKey be something else than a character value?

Ok, ok. If I had taken the time to at least look at the accessor I would
 not have asked this... I guess I was confused by the Shared Variable
being initialized directly by the value 28... well never mind.

Alex