Debugging -> Hanging

Blake-5
Hey, Seasiders:

        I'm doing some stuff in Seaside and I think I have my set up wrong.

        If I put in a halt or click debug, I get a debug window inside the Squeak
environment (not the web browser) and often--I'm still trying to track
down the exact circumstances, but it seems to be related to trying to
trace--Squeak's windows become unresponsive.

        I can right-click to close it (and it will ask me if I really want to
quit without saving, which I don't but...) and I managed to get another
debug window opened once by paging through my stuff, but I can't activate
any of the internal windows.

        What have I wrought?

        ===Blake===

Re: Debugging -> Hanging

Lukas Renggli
>         If I put in a halt or click debug, I get a debug window inside the Squeak
> environment (not the web browser) and often--I'm still trying to track
> down the exact circumstances, but it seems to be related to trying to
> trace--Squeak's windows become unresponsive.

There are some places that are a bit difficult to debug, e.g. just
before a #call: where the web browser expects interaction from the
client. Since the new request then is processed within a new process
your old debugger just stucks ... Is that what you experience?

Cheers,
Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Debugging -> Hanging

Blake-5
On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 22:18:48 -0800, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> There are some places that are a bit difficult to debug, e.g. just
> before a #call: where the web browser expects interaction from the
> client. Since the new request then is processed within a new process
> your old debugger just stucks ... Is that what you experience?

It could be (trying to reproduce now). Is there any escape?

Huh. Now I'm getting...

MessageNotUnderstood: WARenderCanvas>>tableRowWith:with:

I think I'm going to reinstall.

Oh, hey, there's something else: I'm using Squeak 3.9 (in general) but
when I start the Seaside image it says it's looking for SqueakV3.sources
(instead of SqueakV39 sources). Should I be using Squeak 3.8? If not,
should I just move my SqueakV3.sources (from previous installations) into
the Squeak 3.9 directory?

Thanks for any help!

Re: Debugging -> Hanging

cbeler

Blake a écrit :
> On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 22:18:48 -0800, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> There are some places that are a bit difficult to debug, e.g. just
>> before a #call: where the web browser expects interaction from the
>> client. Since the new request then is processed within a new process
>> your old debugger just stucks ... Is that what you experience?
>
> It could be (trying to reproduce now). Is there any escape?
cmd (alt or pom) + .    sometimes several times

> Huh. Now I'm getting...
>
> MessageNotUnderstood: WARenderCanvas>>tableRowWith:with:
this message is understood by the old renderer WAHtmlRenderer...

> I think I'm going to reinstall.
reinstall ? :)

> Oh, hey, there's something else: I'm using Squeak 3.9 (in general) but
> when I start the Seaside image it says it's looking for
> SqueakV3.sources (instead of SqueakV39 sources). Should I be using
> Squeak 3.8?
maybe you're using Ramon image (based on 3.8) ? or another ready image
based on 3.8...
try an image based on 3.9 like the one done by Damien...
http://damien.cassou.free.fr
you can directly try squeak-web but the squeak-dev one is a bit more up
to date...
you can of course keep your version and add the previous sources files...

Cédrick

Re: Debugging -> Hanging

Lukas Renggli
> It could be (trying to reproduce now). Is there any escape?

As Cédrick said: Alt + .

> Oh, hey, there's something else: I'm using Squeak 3.9 (in general) but
> when I start the Seaside image it says it's looking for SqueakV3.sources
> (instead of SqueakV39 sources). Should I be using Squeak 3.8? If not,
> should I just move my SqueakV3.sources (from previous installations) into
> the Squeak 3.9 directory?

Are you maybe not using the 3.9 final image? This error seems very
strange to me. I do all my Seaside development in 3.9 and it works
fine.

Cheers,
Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Debugging -> Hanging

Blake-5
On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 03:01:32 -0800, Cédrick Béler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> cmd (alt or pom) + .    sometimes several times

Oh, that's right. I kept trying Ctrl+Break.

>> I think I'm going to reinstall.
> reinstall ? :)

Write over the old stuff with a fresh image.

> you can directly try squeak-web but the squeak-dev one is a bit more up
> to date...
> you can of course keep your version and add the previous sources files...

Trying those. Thanks.

Re: Debugging -> Hanging

Blake-5
On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 18:17:59 -0800, Blake <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 03:01:32 -0800, Cédrick Béler <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> cmd (alt or pom) + .    sometimes several times
>
> Oh, that's right. I kept trying Ctrl+Break.
>
>>> I think I'm going to reinstall.
>> reinstall ? :)
>
> Write over the old stuff with a fresh image.
>
>> you can directly try squeak-web but the squeak-dev one is a bit more up
>> to date...
>> you can of course keep your version and add the previous sources
>> files...
>
> Trying those. Thanks.

Note: The 76 Dev image says it contains Seaside but, in fact, does not.

Re: Debugging -> Hanging

Damien Cassou
> Note: The 76 Dev image says it contains Seaside but, in fact, does not.

Who tells you Squeak dev image contains Seaside ?

In fact, there is 2 image for developers:

- squeak dev image (current version 76): does not contain Seaside put
prepares seaside. This means Seaside is just one-click-away from being
installed (look at the ScriptManager->prepared packages->Seaside->link
at the very bottom of the description). (Ok, this is more than 1 click
:-))

- squeak web image (current version 72): really contains Seaside ;
installed and running.

Both images can be found in http://damien.cassou.free.fr

Bye

--
Damien Cassou

Re: Debugging -> Hanging

Blake-5
On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 23:29:20 -0800, Damien Cassou
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Note: The 76 Dev image says it contains Seaside but, in fact, does not.
>
> Who tells you Squeak dev image contains Seaside ?

I think I confused "prepared" with "installed".

> - squeak dev image (current version 76): does not contain Seaside put
> prepares seaside. This means Seaside is just one-click-away from being
> installed (look at the ScriptManager->prepared packages->Seaside->link
> at the very bottom of the description). (Ok, this is more than 1 click
> :-))

Got it. Well, I will get it when SqueakMap comes back up.

Thanks.

Re: Debugging -> Hanging

Damien Cassou
Don't forget to tell me your opinion about this image. I really would
like it to fit real needs (not just mine :-))

2007/2/22, Blake <[hidden email]>:

> On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 23:29:20 -0800, Damien Cassou
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> >> Note: The 76 Dev image says it contains Seaside but, in fact, does not.
> >
> > Who tells you Squeak dev image contains Seaside ?
>
> I think I confused "prepared" with "installed".
>
> > - squeak dev image (current version 76): does not contain Seaside put
> > prepares seaside. This means Seaside is just one-click-away from being
> > installed (look at the ScriptManager->prepared packages->Seaside->link
> > at the very bottom of the description). (Ok, this is more than 1 click
> > :-))
>
> Got it. Well, I will get it when SqueakMap comes back up.
>
> Thanks.

Damien Cassou

Re: Debugging -> Hanging

Colin Putney
On Feb 20, 2007, at 6:35 PM, Blake wrote:

> Hey, Seasiders:
>
> I'm doing some stuff in Seaside and I think I have my set up wrong.
>
> If I put in a halt or click debug, I get a debug window inside the
> Squeak environment (not the web browser) and often--I'm still
> trying to track down the exact circumstances, but it seems to be
> related to trying to trace--Squeak's windows become unresponsive.
>
> I can right-click to close it (and it will ask me if I really want
> to quit without saving, which I don't but...) and I managed to get
> another debug window opened once by paging through my stuff, but I
> can't activate any of the internal windows.

Hi Blake,

I've run into this problem too. I haven't investigated too
thoroughly, but I think the stack manipulation done by Seaside
interacts with that done by the debugger to produce an undesirable
result. What happens is this : The first error opens the debugger as
usual. Then, as you're stepping through the code, it hits another
error. The exception gets caught by Seaside's error handlers, which
writes a stack trace, then invokes a continuation to return the stack
trace to the browser.

Here's where the probem comes in: invoking a continuation involves
destroying the current stack. Now in theory this should work just
fine, as the debugger is running in a different process than the
process being debugged. But somehow it's the stack belonging to the
UI process that gets destroyed, leaving the UI unresponsive.

Fortunately, there's an easy way to break out of this situation: just
press Cmd-., or whatever your interrupt key is. That will kick start
the UI process. In the end it's a bit annoying, but not a disaster.

Colin

Re: Debugging -> Hanging

Blake-5
On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 06:05:07 -0800, Colin Putney <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Fortunately, there's an easy way to break out of this situation: just
> press Cmd-., or whatever your interrupt key is. That will kick start the
> UI process. In the end it's a bit annoying, but not a disaster.

Yeah, part of my problem was misremembering the interrupt key. I'm
digesting your theory on why & how it happens, thanks.

Re: Debugging -> Hanging

Blake-5
On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 00:36:35 -0800, Damien Cassou
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Don't forget to tell me your opinion about this image. I really would
> like it to fit real needs (not just mine :-))

So far I'm liking it. I'll try to be more specific as I progress.