Debugging deployed image

Joerg Beekmann, DeepCove Labs (YVR)

Our deployed application is failing shortly after starting with an out of memory condition. I seem to recall that there is a way to have the debug vm output what it is doing message send by message send. Does this ring any bells with anyone?

-----
Joerg Beekmann
DeepCove Labs
4th floor 595 Howe Street
Vancouver, BC, V6C 2T5
voice +1.604.689.0322
fax   +1.604.689.0311

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE - This email contains private and confidential
information. If it is not intended for you, delete it and any attachments.

Re: Debugging deployed image

Samuel S. Shuster-2
Joerg:

> Our deployed application is failing shortly after starting with an out of memory condition. I seem to recall that there is a way to have the debug vm output what it is doing message send by message send. Does this ring any bells with anyone?

FWIW, "one of" the typical reasons for this has to do with Fonts. In any case, what platform is the deployed application running on?

                                And So It Goes
                                     Sames

Samuel S. Shuster [|]
VisualWorks Engineering, Store Project
Smalltalk Enables Success -- What Are YOU Using?

Re: Debugging deployed image

Alan Knight-2
Run with the debug VM and use the -o10s command line option. Pipe it to a file. Use a file viewer than can handle large files :-)

At 05:44 PM 2010-04-26, Joerg Beekmann, DeepCove Labs \(YVR\) wrote:

Our deployed application is failing shortly after starting with an out of memory condition. I seem to recall that there is a way to have the debug vm output what it is doing message send by message send. Does this ring any bells with anyone?

-----
Joerg Beekmann
DeepCove Labs
4th floor 595 Howe Street
Vancouver, BC, V6C 2T5
voice +1.604.689.0322
fax   +1.604.689.0311

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE - This email contains private and confidential
information. If it is not intended for you, delete it and any attachments.

Alan Knight [|], Engineering Manager, Cincom Smalltalk

Re: Debugging deployed image

Joerg Beekmann, DeepCove Labs (YVR)

That’s what I recall.

Thanks Alan

Re: Debugging deployed image

Alan Knight-2
One pattern to watch out for in those kind of logs is that the system tries to raise an exception but is unable to do so, the attempt raises another exception, and so forth. So going back early in the log and finding the early references to e.g. Notifier might be more helpful than working backwards. So, of course, is looking for very long lists of the same message, whose implementation is recursive :-)

At 06:24 PM 2010-04-26, Joerg Beekmann, DeepCove Labs \(YVR\) wrote:
ThatÂ’s what I recall.

Thanks Alan

http://www.cincom.com/smalltalk

--
Alan Knight [|], Engineering Manager, Cincom Smalltalk