Debugging in Production Servers

askoh
Administrator
Smalltalk has the capability of allowing live debugging in production servers. How unique is this capability? What are other systems allow that?

Is there a name for such capability? Can we coin one and market it?

What are the pros and cons of having such a capability?

All the best,
Aik-Siong Koh

Re: Debugging in Production Servers

Reinout Heeck-2
On 4/24/2014 4:07 AM, askoh wrote:
> Smalltalk has the capability of allowing live debugging in production
> servers. How unique is this capability? What are other systems allow that?
Live debugging is possible in most systems (except for many 'modern'
scripting languages), it is the live code _alteration_ that makes it so
powerful.

I've wielded that force in Smalltalk and Forth systems.

> Is there a name for such capability?
'Edit and continue', 'hot patching'

> Can we coin one and market it?
>
> What are the pros and cons of having such a capability?

Pro: our customers experience higher uptime of their business processes
because only one process is halted in their server and later continued,
as opposed to the whole system being taken down due to a walkback in one
thread.
Con: IT departments -particularly the outsourced ones- feel that a
server with a GUI is unmaintainable and should be verboten.

Reinout
-------