Debuging at installation point

Carsten Haerle
I sometimes have the problem that I have to debug something at the customers
computer to find a problem. Is it neccessary to install a dolphin ide there,
or is there an easier way to copy a development image and some other files
only temporily to the computer. If I want to install Dolphin I also need
administrator right which I don't usually have at the clients computer.

Regards

Carsten Haerle

Re: Debuging at installation point

Blair McGlashan-2
"Carsten Haerle" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:bo9j1t$kpe$06$[hidden email]...
> I sometimes have the problem that I have to debug something at the
customers
> computer to find a problem. Is it neccessary to install a dolphin ide
there,
> or is there an easier way to copy a development image and some other files
> only temporily to the computer. If I want to install Dolphin I also need
> administrator right which I don't usually have at the clients computer.

You'll need the following:

1) Your Smalltalk image files, of which there are of course three, e.g.
Professional.img, Professional.chg, Professional.sml from your documents
folder. Before saving this image make sure you have turned off "Tip of the
Day" by unchecking the checkbox at the bottom of the dialog. If you forget
to do this, then a walkback will occur when the image is opened and the tips
file cannot be found.
2) The VM, DolphinVM005.DLL, and compiler, DolphinCR005.DLL from 'C:\Program
Files\Common Files\Object Arts\Dolphin Smalltalk 5.1'
3) The Dolphin development system launcher, Dolphin.exe, and resources,
DolphinDR005.DLL, from ''C:\Program Files\Object Arts\Dolphin Smalltalk
5.1'. On XP you'll want to copy the executable manifest,
'Dolphin.exe.manifest', as well in order to get the XP look and feel.
4) You may need some C runtime library files from the system directory:
MSCVRT.DLL and MVSCP60.DLL

Its is easiest to place all these files in the same directory to avoid the
need to create any registry keys or register any of the DLLs, and to make it
easier to remove when you are finished.

If your image is called "Dolphin.img" you should now be able to start up
Dolphin by double clicking Dolphin.exe, otherwise drag the .img file over
Dolphin.exe, or create a shortcut specifying the image name in the command
line. When the image opens you'll get a blank splash screen because the
bitmap resources are not available. You can prevent this by defining the
flag '-nosplash' as a command line argument for the shortcut.

Regards

Blair