Decoupling Shout and Styler

Fernando olivero
I would like to decouple the Styler Object ( For example SHTextStyler) from the Shout packages.

Since Shout purpose it to add:  'Syntax Highlighting that updates after each key stroke so that the highlighting remains correct during the editing of a method'.

I think it would be beneficial to  style any piece of text, independently from the editing of a method.

For example, when working on the NewTextMorph  i do not need any functionality of the TextMorphForShout or TextMorphForShoutEditor classes, but only the Styler related classes. And in its current state, these two are coupled in the same package.

I propose Shout could be spitted into 2 packages, that better reflect the classes intentions.

1. Code Styler: which would include Shout-Parsing, and Shout-Styling.

2. TextMorphShout: Shout-TextSupport, Shout-Windows.

What do you think?

Fernando

Re: Decoupling Shout and Styler

Stéphane Ducasse
can be a good idea.

Stef

On May 17, 2010, at 5:21 PM, Fernando olivero wrote:

> I would like to decouple the Styler Object ( For example SHTextStyler) from the Shout packages.
>
> Since Shout purpose it to add:  'Syntax Highlighting that updates after each key stroke so that the highlighting remains correct during the editing of a method'.
>
> I think it would be beneficial to  style any piece of text, independently from the editing of a method.
>
> For example, when working on the NewTextMorph  i do not need any functionality of the TextMorphForShout or TextMorphForShoutEditor classes, but only the Styler related classes. And in its current state, these two are coupled in the same package.
>
> I propose Shout could be spitted into 2 packages, that better reflect the classes intentions.
>
> 1. Code Styler: which would include Shout-Parsing, and Shout-Styling.
>
> 2. TextMorphShout: Shout-TextSupport, Shout-Windows.
>
> What do you think?
>
> Fernando

Re: Decoupling Shout and Styler

Lukas Renggli
Yes, that makes sende.

Another possibility would be to use the RB or PetitParser (this is
what I do in Helvetia) parser instead.

Lukas

On Monday, May 17, 2010, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

> can be a good idea.
>
> Stef
>
> On May 17, 2010, at 5:21 PM, Fernando olivero wrote:
>
>> I would like to decouple the Styler Object ( For example SHTextStyler) from the Shout packages.
>>
>> Since Shout purpose it to add:  'Syntax Highlighting that updates after each key stroke so that the highlighting remains correct during the editing of a method'.
>>
>> I think it would be beneficial to  style any piece of text, independently from the editing of a method.
>>
>> For example, when working on the NewTextMorph  i do not need any functionality of the TextMorphForShout or TextMorphForShoutEditor classes, but only the Styler related classes. And in its current state, these two are coupled in the same package.
>>
>> I propose Shout could be spitted into 2 packages, that better reflect the classes intentions.
>>
>> 1. Code Styler: which would include Shout-Parsing, and Shout-Styling.
>>
>> 2. TextMorphShout: Shout-TextSupport, Shout-Windows.
>>
>> What do you think?
>>
>> Fernando

Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Decoupling Shout and Styler

Mariano Martinez Peck
I agree, but in such case let me know so that I can update the metacello conf ;)

On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 5:49 PM, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yes, that makes sende.

Another possibility would be to use the RB or PetitParser (this is
what I do in Helvetia) parser instead.

Lukas

On Monday, May 17, 2010, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> can be a good idea.
>
> Stef
>
> On May 17, 2010, at 5:21 PM, Fernando olivero wrote:
>
>> I would like to decouple the Styler Object ( For example SHTextStyler) from the Shout packages.
>>
>> Since Shout purpose it to add:  'Syntax Highlighting that updates after each key stroke so that the highlighting remains correct during the editing of a method'.
>>
>> I think it would be beneficial to  style any piece of text, independently from the editing of a method.
>>
>> For example, when working on the NewTextMorph  i do not need any functionality of the TextMorphForShout or TextMorphForShoutEditor classes, but only the Styler related classes. And in its current state, these two are coupled in the same package.
>>
>> I propose Shout could be spitted into 2 packages, that better reflect the classes intentions.
>>
>> 1. Code Styler: which would include Shout-Parsing, and Shout-Styling.
>>
>> 2. TextMorphShout: Shout-TextSupport, Shout-Windows.
>>
>> What do you think?
>>
>> Fernando

Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Decoupling Shout and Styler

Fernando olivero
Lukas, i've looked at the petit parser info in your blog but couldn't find an example of a Shout-like parser and styler.
Could you please point to one example?
And the RB class that's used for styling is?

Thanks,
Fernando

On May 18, 2010, at 12:48 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

I agree, but in such case let me know so that I can update the metacello conf ;)

On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 5:49 PM, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yes, that makes sende.

Another possibility would be to use the RB or PetitParser (this is
what I do in Helvetia) parser instead.

Lukas

On Monday, May 17, 2010, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> can be a good idea.
>
> Stef
>
> On May 17, 2010, at 5:21 PM, Fernando olivero wrote:
>
>> I would like to decouple the Styler Object ( For example SHTextStyler) from the Shout packages.
>>
>> Since Shout purpose it to add:  'Syntax Highlighting that updates after each key stroke so that the highlighting remains correct during the editing of a method'.
>>
>> I think it would be beneficial to  style any piece of text, independently from the editing of a method.
>>
>> For example, when working on the NewTextMorph  i do not need any functionality of the TextMorphForShout or TextMorphForShoutEditor classes, but only the Styler related classes. And in its current state, these two are coupled in the same package.
>>
>> I propose Shout could be spitted into 2 packages, that better reflect the classes intentions.
>>
>> 1. Code Styler: which would include Shout-Parsing, and Shout-Styling.
>>
>> 2. TextMorphShout: Shout-TextSupport, Shout-Windows.
>>
>> What do you think?
>>
>> Fernando

Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch