Default Morph position something other than 0 @ 0?

Phil B
This is a minor nit but when I'm developing Morphs I often need to
instantiate them manually via something like 'MorphName new
openInWorld.'  When I do that, I almost always find its initial position
annoying and in some cases nearly non-functional since the Morph doesn't
have room for its halo icons.  Just wondering if this bothers anyone
else and if maybe insetting new morphs top left by default to something
like 50 @ 50 (something out of the way, but giving it a bit of margin
from the edge of the screen) might be better?

Re: Default Morph position something other than 0 @ 0?

Hannes Hirzel
+1

On 7/9/15, Phil (list) <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This is a minor nit but when I'm developing Morphs I often need to
> instantiate them manually via something like 'MorphName new
> openInWorld.'  When I do that, I almost always find its initial position
> annoying and in some cases nearly non-functional since the Morph doesn't
> have room for its halo icons.  Just wondering if this bothers anyone
> else and if maybe insetting new morphs top left by default to something
> like 50 @ 50 (something out of the way, but giving it a bit of margin
> from the edge of the screen) might be better?

Re: Default Morph position something other than 0 @ 0?

Dan Norton
On 9 Jul 2015 at 5:15, Phil (list) wrote:

> This is a minor nit but when I'm developing Morphs I often need to
> instantiate them manually via something like 'MorphName new
> openInWorld.'  When I do that, I almost always find its initial
> position
> annoying and in some cases nearly non-functional since the Morph
> doesn't
> have room for its halo icons.  Just wondering if this bothers
> anyone
> else and if maybe insetting new morphs top left by default to
> something
> like 50 @ 50 (something out of the way, but giving it a bit of
> margin
> from the edge of the screen) might be better?

+1

Also, it's pretty dark up there and the black on blue MinimalStringMorph is hard to see, for
example.

 - Dan

Re: Default Morph position something other than 0 @ 0?

Juan Vuletich-4
On 7/9/2015 6:15 AM, Phil (list) wrote:
> This is a minor nit but when I'm developing Morphs I often need to
> instantiate them manually via something like 'MorphName new
> openInWorld.'  When I do that, I almost always find its initial position
> annoying and in some cases nearly non-functional since the Morph doesn't
> have room for its halo icons.  Just wondering if this bothers anyone
> else and if maybe insetting new morphs top left by default to something
> like 50 @ 50 (something out of the way, but giving it a bit of margin
> from the edge of the screen) might be better?

Sure. Will be there in the next commit.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

Re: Default Morph position something other than 0 @ 0?

Edgar De Cleene

On 7/9/15, 6:15 AM, "Phil (list)" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This is a minor nit but when I'm developing Morphs I often need to
> instantiate them manually via something like 'MorphName new
> openInWorld.'  When I do that, I almost always find its initial position
> annoying and in some cases nearly non-functional since the Morph doesn't
> have room for its halo icons.  Just wondering if this bothers anyone
> else and if maybe insetting new morphs top left by default to something
> like 50 @ 50 (something out of the way, but giving it a bit of margin
> from the edge of the screen) might be better?

Morph new openInHand could be better?

Edgar

Re: Default Morph position something other than 0 @ 0?

Phil B
Edgar,

On Sun, 2015-07-12 at 06:21 -0300, Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:

> On 7/9/15, 6:15 AM, "Phil (list)" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > This is a minor nit but when I'm developing Morphs I often need to
> > instantiate them manually via something like 'MorphName new
> > openInWorld.'  When I do that, I almost always find its initial position
> > annoying and in some cases nearly non-functional since the Morph doesn't
> > have room for its halo icons.  Just wondering if this bothers anyone
> > else and if maybe insetting new morphs top left by default to something
> > like 50 @ 50 (something out of the way, but giving it a bit of margin
> > from the edge of the screen) might be better?
>

> Morph new openInHand could be better?

I find that's not always an option in the early stages of working on a
Morph as there are often initialization dependencies that I haven't
worked out at that stage causing openInHand not to work.  Once I have
everything working, then I go back and figure out what needs to happen
to get it running with openInHand...

> Edgar

Thanks,
Phil

On 7/12/15, 2:16 PM, "Phil (list)" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I find that's not always an option in the early stages of working on a
> Morph as there are often initialization dependencies that I haven't
> worked out at that stage causing openInHand not to work.  Once I have
> everything working, then I go back and figure out what needs to happen
> to get it running with openInHand...

Ok.
Could share yours code not working with openInHand ?

Edgar

On Sun, 2015-07-12 at 15:21 -0300, Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:

> On 7/12/15, 2:16 PM, "Phil (list)" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I find that's not always an option in the early stages of working on a
> > Morph as there are often initialization dependencies that I haven't
> > worked out at that stage causing openInHand not to work.  Once I have
> > everything working, then I go back and figure out what needs to happen
> > to get it running with openInHand...
>
> Ok.
> Could share yours code not working with openInHand ?

I think a recent example was the Dan's BouncingAtomsMorph which could
not be invoked from the New Morph... menu until I submitted a fix.  It
was an easy fix and I run into this problem quite often in the early
stages of Morph development.  openInHand calls doOneCycleNow (or maybe
it's doOneCycle... I forget which) which results in the Morph needing to
draw earlier than with openInWorld.  This is a problem if the Morph
isn't fully initialized and ready to be drawn yet.  It's not a big deal,
just part of how I develop Morphs and why I use openInWorld until I get
things sorted out.  Also, when I'm developing a Morph I'm usually
invoking it from a workspace or code browser and don't want to be
dealing with it interactively yet since it usually isn't fully
functional anyway.

On 7/12/15, 5:23 PM, "Phil (list)" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I think a recent example was the Dan's BouncingAtomsMorph which could
> not be invoked from the New Morph... menu until I submitted a fix.  It
> was an easy fix and I run into this problem quite often in the early
> stages of Morph development.  openInHand calls doOneCycleNow (or maybe
> it's doOneCycle... I forget which) which results in the Morph needing to
> draw earlier than with openInWorld.  This is a problem if the Morph
> isn't fully initialized and ready to be drawn yet.  It's not a big deal,
> just part of how I develop Morphs and why I use openInWorld until I get
> things sorted out.  Also, when I'm developing a Morph I'm usually
> invoking it from a workspace or code browser and don't want to be
> dealing with it interactively yet since it usually isn't fully
> functional anyway.

Very instructive.
Thanks a lot.

Edgar

On 12 Jul 2015 at 18:02, Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:

> On 7/12/15, 5:23 PM, "Phil (list)" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I think a recent example was the Dan's BouncingAtomsMorph which
> could
> > not be invoked from the New Morph... menu until I submitted a fix.
> It
> > was an easy fix and I run into this problem quite often in the
> early
> > stages of Morph development.  openInHand calls doOneCycleNow (or
> maybe
> > it's doOneCycle... I forget which) which results in the Morph
> needing to
> > draw earlier than with openInWorld.  This is a problem if the
> Morph
> > isn't fully initialized and ready to be drawn yet.  It's not a big
> deal,
> > just part of how I develop Morphs and why I use openInWorld until
> I get
> > things sorted out.  Also, when I'm developing a Morph I'm
> usually
> > invoking it from a workspace or code browser and don't want to
> be
> > dealing with it interactively yet since it usually isn't fully
> > functional anyway.
>
> Very instructive.
> Thanks a lot.
>
> Edgar

Yes, thank you Phil for the fix. I needed to learn that. I put the history of the change on:

https://github.com/dhnorton/Cuis-Smalltalk-atoms

The commit is "343a986"  "starts from new morph menu"

 - Dan

On Sun, 2015-07-12 at 22:20 -0400, Dan Norton wrote:

> On 12 Jul 2015 at 18:02, Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:
>

> > On 7/12/15, 5:23 PM, "Phil (list)" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > I think a recent example was the Dan's BouncingAtomsMorph which
> > could
> > > not be invoked from the New Morph... menu until I submitted a fix.
> > It
> > > was an easy fix and I run into this problem quite often in the
> > early
> > > stages of Morph development.  openInHand calls doOneCycleNow (or
> > maybe
> > > it's doOneCycle... I forget which) which results in the Morph
> > needing to
> > > draw earlier than with openInWorld.  This is a problem if the
> > Morph
> > > isn't fully initialized and ready to be drawn yet.  It's not a big
> > deal,
> > > just part of how I develop Morphs and why I use openInWorld until
> > I get
> > > things sorted out.  Also, when I'm developing a Morph I'm
> > usually
> > > invoking it from a workspace or code browser and don't want to
> > be
> > > dealing with it interactively yet since it usually isn't fully
> > > functional anyway.
> >
> > Very instructive.
> > Thanks a lot.
> >
> > Edgar
> >

> Yes, thank you Phil for the fix. I needed to learn that. I put the history of the change on:

Glad to chip in... thank you for giving us a nice Morphic demo!

> https://github.com/dhnorton/Cuis-Smalltalk-atoms
>
> The commit is "343a986"  "starts from new morph menu"

There it is  (I was too tired/lazy to dig up the commit reference :-)

>  - Dan

Re: Default Morph position something other than 0 @ 0?

Hannes Hirzel
You mean this one

https://github.com/dhnorton/Cuis-Smalltalk-atoms/commit/343a986a8f4bdfb4bee8eb05797e4d75b881ecbe

?

--Hannes

On 7/13/15, Phil (list) <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, 2015-07-12 at 22:20 -0400, Dan Norton wrote:

>> > could
>> > It
>> > early
>> > maybe
>> > needing to
>> > Morph
>> > deal,
>> > I get
>> > usually
>> > be
>> >
>> > Very instructive.
>> > Thanks a lot.
>> >
>> > Edgar
>> >

>> Yes, thank you Phil for the fix. I needed to learn that. I put the history
>> of the change on:
>>

> Glad to chip in... thank you for giving us a nice Morphic demo!
>
>> https://github.com/dhnorton/Cuis-Smalltalk-atoms
>>
>> The commit is "343a986"  "starts from new morph menu"
>>

> There it is  (I was too tired/lazy to dig up the commit reference :-)
>
>>  - Dan

Re: Default Morph position something other than 0 @ 0?

Dan Norton
Yes, it seems there are several ways to see the commit :-)

GitHub newbie here,

 - Dan