Default classes for form input tags?

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
Why is it that form fields get their class initialized by default to match
their type in

WAFormInputTag>>with: aBlock
 self type isNil ifFalse: [
  self attributes at: 'type' ifAbsentPut: [ self type ].
  self class: self type ].
 super with: aBlock.

I find it very odd that Seaside would try to impose any classes onto the
developer, same applies to WAListTag>>with: and these are the only two cases
I could find.

Thanks!

-Boris

--
+1.604.689.0322
DeepCove Labs Ltd.

[hidden email]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

attachments.

Thank you.

smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment

Re: Default classes for form input tags?

Avi  Bryant

On Aug 9, 2006, at 1:24 PM, Boris Popov wrote:

> Why is it that form fields get their class initialized by default
> to match
> their type in
>
> WAFormInputTag>>with: aBlock
>  self type isNil ifFalse: [
>   self attributes at: 'type' ifAbsentPut: [ self type ].
>   self class: self type ].
>  super with: aBlock.
>
> I find it very odd that Seaside would try to impose any classes
> onto the
> developer, same applies to WAListTag>>with: and these are the only
> two cases
> I could find.

I don't remember when that change was made, or what the specific
reason for it was.  I can say, however, that it's a pretty useful
thing to have, in that it lets you use selectors like input.text or
input.password in your CSS...

Avi

RE: Default classes for form input tags?

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
Good point, thanks. I walked into this as I was integrating a new round of
changes from our designer and had a bit of a head-scratcher when things were
out of whack. I guess I'll just ask him not to use any of the types as
selectors: text, submit, radio, password, image, hidden, file, checkbox,
button.

Speaking of silly things like that, any chance we could get an FAQ (or just
Q&A) page over at seaside.st? If yes, I don't mind updating it with stuff as
I stumble upon the more interesting bits hoping to attract others to join
in. There are a few Seaside FAQ's out there, but they seem to be maintained
separately and honestly some of them are just a tad obsolete.

Cheers,

-Boris

--
+1.604.689.0322
DeepCove Labs Ltd.

[hidden email]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

attachments.

Thank you.

On Aug 9, 2006, at 1:24 PM, Boris Popov wrote:

> Why is it that form fields get their class initialized by default
> to match
> their type in
>
> WAFormInputTag>>with: aBlock
>  self type isNil ifFalse: [
>   self attributes at: 'type' ifAbsentPut: [ self type ].
>   self class: self type ].
>  super with: aBlock.
>
> I find it very odd that Seaside would try to impose any classes
> onto the
> developer, same applies to WAListTag>>with: and these are the only
> two cases
> I could find.
I don't remember when that change was made, or what the specific
reason for it was.  I can say, however, that it's a pretty useful
thing to have, in that it lets you use selectors like input.text or
input.password in your CSS...

Avi

smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment

Re: Re: Default classes for form input tags?

Lukas Renggli
> > Why is it that form fields get their class initialized by default
> > to match
> > their type in
> >
> > WAFormInputTag>>with: aBlock
> >  self type isNil ifFalse: [
> >   self attributes at: 'type' ifAbsentPut: [ self type ].
> >   self class: self type ].
> >  super with: aBlock.
> >
> > I find it very odd that Seaside would try to impose any classes
> > onto the
> > developer, same applies to WAListTag>>with: and these are the only
> > two cases
> > I could find.
>
> I don't remember when that change was made, or what the specific
> reason for it was.  I can say, however, that it's a pretty useful
> thing to have, in that it lets you use selectors like input.text or
> input.password in your CSS...

The reason I added that, was because IE does not support conditions
(input[type="text"] or input["button"]) in CSS selectors. If you have
the type as a class you can easily do the same in a cross platform way
(input.text or input.button), though it requires that your CSS
designer does not use selectors like .text but something more specific
like div.text if you have a conflict.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Default classes for form input tags?

stephane ducasse

On 9 août 06, at 22:39, Boris Popov wrote:

> Good point, thanks. I walked into this as I was integrating a new
> round of
> changes from our designer and had a bit of a head-scratcher when
> things were
> out of whack. I guess I'll just ask him not to use any of the types as
> selectors: text, submit, radio, password, image, hidden, file,
> checkbox,
> button.
>
> Speaking of silly things like that, any chance we could get an FAQ
> (or just
> Q&A) page over at seaside.st? If yes, I don't mind updating it with
> stuff as
> I stumble upon the more interesting bits hoping to attract others
> to join
> in. There are a few Seaside FAQ's out there, but they seem to be
> maintained
> separately and honestly some of them are just a tad obsolete.

Indeed we need a FAQ!!!!
As a community we should learn to record knowledge other than in email.

May be we could use a wiki part of the seaside.st wiki :)

Stef_______________________________________________
Seaside mailing list

RE: Default classes for form input tags?

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
Stephane,

That's kind of what I was hinting at, but I'm not sure who maintains
seaside.st at the moment. If I could get access to the wiki, I'd put some
time into pulling various FAQs together in the next couple of weeks before
leaving on vacation.

Thanks!

-Boris

--
+1.604.689.0322
DeepCove Labs Ltd.

[hidden email]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

attachments.

Thank you.
On 9 août 06, at 22:39, Boris Popov wrote:

> Good point, thanks. I walked into this as I was integrating a new
> round of
> changes from our designer and had a bit of a head-scratcher when
> things were
> out of whack. I guess I'll just ask him not to use any of the types as
> selectors: text, submit, radio, password, image, hidden, file,
> checkbox,
> button.
>
> Speaking of silly things like that, any chance we could get an FAQ
> (or just
> Q&A) page over at seaside.st? If yes, I don't mind updating it with
> stuff as
> I stumble upon the more interesting bits hoping to attract others
> to join
> in. There are a few Seaside FAQ's out there, but they seem to be
> maintained
> separately and honestly some of them are just a tad obsolete.

Indeed we need a FAQ!!!!
As a community we should learn to record knowledge other than in email.

May be we could use a wiki part of the seaside.st wiki :)

Stef_______________________________________________
Seaside mailing list

smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment

Re: Default classes for form input tags?

stephane ducasse
Lukas, adrian, avi I guess maintain seaside.st
Else we could use another smallwiki

On Aug 10, 2006, at 11:38 AM, stephane ducasse wrote:

> Lukas, adrian, avi I guess maintain seaside.st
> Else we could use another smallwiki

I've given Boris access too.

Avi