Deja.com

John Aspinall-2
I'm trying to persuade my ISP to make comp.lang.smalltalk.dolphin (and
.advocacy for that matter) available on their news server (I'm currently
accessing them via news.cis.dfn.de).

They tell me that, as they cannot find the newsgroups on www.deja.com,
they're not going to make them available yet. Rather unreasonable of them,
but it does raise the matter of when the group will benefit from archiving
via Deja. Does anyone know when/how this will happen?

Also any smart answers to my ISP would be appreciated...

Cheers.

John Aspinall

Re: Deja.com

Bill Schwab
John,

> I'm trying to persuade my ISP to make comp.lang.smalltalk.dolphin (and
> .advocacy for that matter) available on their news server (I'm currently
> accessing them via news.cis.dfn.de).

At the current rate of progress with UF, I will probably sign up to do the
same; I keep thinking that UF will pick up the group within minutes of my
getting a password, and therefore keep dragging my feet.

> They tell me that, as they cannot find the newsgroups on www.deja.com,
> they're not going to make them available yet. Rather unreasonable of them,
> but it does raise the matter of when the group will benefit from archiving
> via Deja. Does anyone know when/how this will happen?

In all candor, Deja isn't nearly as attractive as it once was.  Since only
10% (they claim anyway) of searches hit articles more than a year old,
they've seen fit to remove them.  Ironically, the self-described "Before you
Buy" site helped me walk unaware into a product with well-known problem -
one that was clear to people more than a year ago...  All is well though,
because the "prototype" unit failed on us too, and it will work well enough
for development purposes so the money's not really wasted.

That's a long way of saying to send thanks to Ian for continuing his
archiving activities!

> Also any smart answers to my ISP would be appreciated...

I can't top Andy's :)

Bill

--
Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.
[hidden email]

Re: Deja.com

Andy Bower
John,

> Also any smart answers to my ISP would be appreciated...

You could say that "even British Telecom" are now hosting this group in the
UK. Being considered to be an even sloppier service provider than BT is
surely something that any ISP would want to avoid at all costs :-)

*Of course, considering BT to be sloppy is my personal opinion and does not
reflect that of my employers in any way ;-)

Best regards,

Andy Bower
Dolphin Support
http://www.object-arts.com