DejaVu vs Bitmap DejaVu / missing fonts folder

DejaVu vs Bitmap DejaVu / missing fonts folder

Veronica Isabel Uquillas Gomez
Hi,

I would like to know if i am the only one having the indentation problem when using bitmap fonts.

The Torch dashboard makes use of small and big DejaVu Sans fonts. For configuring it the fonts folder is needed (that now is gone in the last version pharo 1.1.1 dev, why?).
Got the suggestion of using the new DejaVu package and I tried... However, they are Bitmap DejaVu fonts and I have the problem of text indentation.
I show the changed source code in popup views. With DejaVu sans fonts the text appears as it is written (first image), but with Bitmap fonts not -- all is aligned to the left, and it is impossible to read a method like that (second image).

Do I need to set something else for those fonts to work? Any idea why do I have this problem?
Can the fonts folder be include again in the distribution?

Best regards,
Veronica Uquillas

dejaVu.png (56K) Download Attachment
bitmapDejaVu.png (53K) Download Attachment

Re: DejaVu vs Bitmap DejaVu / missing fonts folder

Alain Plantec-4
Le 08/10/2010 14:37, Veronica Isabel Uquillas Gomez a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I would like to know if i am the only one having the indentation problem when using bitmap fonts.
>
> The Torch dashboard makes use of small and big DejaVu Sans fonts. For configuring it the fonts folder is needed (that now is gone in the last version pharo 1.1.1 dev, why?).
> Got the suggestion of using the new DejaVu package and I tried... However, they are Bitmap DejaVu fonts and I have the problem of text indentation.
> I show the changed source code in popup views. With DejaVu sans fonts the text appears as it is written (first image), but with Bitmap fonts not -- all is aligned to the left, and it is impossible to read a method like that (second image).
>
> Do I need to set something else for those fonts to work?
Hi Veronica,

After the loading, to install them:
DejaVuHolder installFull.
or
DejaVuHolder installSizes: #(5 7 8 9 10 11 24)
if you only want a subset

> Any idea why do I have this problem?

I've tried with the 1.1.1 version on Linux and the indentation seems ok
also with small fonts (5, 6, 7).
See the screenshot.

Cheers
Alain

allAvailablesSizes.png (26K) Download Attachment

Re: DejaVu vs Bitmap DejaVu / missing fonts folder

Alain Plantec-4
Maybe you can make it work with TT fonts.
In order to install them, open the Settings browser then
Under Appearance/Standard Fonts, click on the Launch button of "Update
font from system"
and then choose another font.

Cheers
Alain

Le 08/10/2010 18:40, Alain Plantec a écrit :

> Le 08/10/2010 14:37, Veronica Isabel Uquillas Gomez a écrit :
>> Hi,
>>
>> I would like to know if i am the only one having the indentation
>> problem when using bitmap fonts.
>>
>> The Torch dashboard makes use of small and big DejaVu Sans fonts. For
>> configuring it the fonts folder is needed (that now is gone in the
>> last version pharo 1.1.1 dev, why?).
>> Got the suggestion of using the new DejaVu package and I tried...
>> However, they are Bitmap DejaVu fonts and I have the problem of text
>> indentation.
>> I show the changed source code in popup views. With DejaVu sans fonts
>> the text appears as it is written (first image), but with Bitmap
>> fonts not -- all is aligned to the left, and it is impossible to read
>> a method like that (second image).
>>
>> Do I need to set something else for those fonts to work?
> Hi Veronica,
>
> After the loading, to install them:
> DejaVuHolder installFull.
> or
> DejaVuHolder installSizes: #(5 7 8 9 10 11 24)
> if you only want a subset
>
>> Any idea why do I have this problem?
> I've tried with the 1.1.1 version on Linux and the indentation seems
> ok also with small fonts (5, 6, 7).
> See the screenshot.
>
> Cheers
> Alain
>
>> Can the fonts folder be include again in the distribution?
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Veronica Uquillas

Re: DejaVu vs Bitmap DejaVu / missing fonts folder

alain may be we should that as comments in one of the class of the package.

Le 08/10/2010 22:01, Stéphane Ducasse a écrit :
> alain may be we should that as comments in one of the class of the package.

but this is already in the comment of the class (only one class in the
package) :-)

>> Le 08/10/2010 14:37, Veronica Isabel Uquillas Gomez a écrit :
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I would like to know if i am the only one having the indentation problem when using bitmap fonts.
>>>
>>> The Torch dashboard makes use of small and big DejaVu Sans fonts. For configuring it the fonts folder is needed (that now is gone in the last version pharo 1.1.1 dev, why?).
>>> Got the suggestion of using the new DejaVu package and I tried... However, they are Bitmap DejaVu fonts and I have the problem of text indentation.
>>> I show the changed source code in popup views. With DejaVu sans fonts the text appears as it is written (first image), but with Bitmap fonts not -- all is aligned to the left, and it is impossible to read a method like that (second image).
>>>
>>> Do I need to set something else for those fonts to work?
>>>
>> Hi Veronica,
>>
>> After the loading, to install them:
>> DejaVuHolder installFull.
>> or
>> DejaVuHolder installSizes: #(5 7 8 9 10 11 24)
>> if you only want a subset
>>

>>> Any idea why do I have this problem?
>>>

>> I've tried with the 1.1.1 version on Linux and the indentation seems ok also with small fonts (5, 6, 7).
>> See the screenshot.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Alain
>>

>>> Can the fonts folder be include again in the distribution?
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>> Veronica Uquillas

Re: DejaVu vs Bitmap DejaVu / missing fonts folder

even better :)

On 08 Oct 2010, at 18:40, Alain Plantec wrote:

> Le 08/10/2010 14:37, Veronica Isabel Uquillas Gomez a écrit :
>> Hi,
>>
>> I would like to know if i am the only one having the indentation problem when using bitmap fonts.
>>
>> The Torch dashboard makes use of small and big DejaVu Sans fonts. For configuring it the fonts folder is needed (that now is gone in the last version pharo 1.1.1 dev, why?).
>> Got the suggestion of using the new DejaVu package and I tried... However, they are Bitmap DejaVu fonts and I have the problem of text indentation.
>> I show the changed source code in popup views. With DejaVu sans fonts the text appears as it is written (first image), but with Bitmap fonts not -- all is aligned to the left, and it is impossible to read a method like that (second image).
>>
>> Do I need to set something else for those fonts to work?
> Hi Veronica,
>
> After the loading, to install them:
> DejaVuHolder installFull.
> or
> DejaVuHolder installSizes: #(5 7 8 9 10 11 24)
> if you only want a subset

I executed both before I reported the problem... This is presented after I installed them...

>> Any idea why do I have this problem?
>>
> I've tried with the 1.1.1 version on Linux and the indentation seems ok also with small fonts (5, 6, 7).
> See the screenshot.

I was thinking that the indentation fails in the popupView (from Mondrian), but still do not understand why with the DejaVu fonts it works fine!!

On 08 Oct 2010, at 18:45, Alain Plantec wrote:

> Maybe you can make it work with TT fonts.
> In order to install them, open the Settings browser then
> Under Appearance/Standard Fonts, click on the Launch button of "Update font from system"
> and then choose another font.

To avoid setting the fonts manually, I added a script that reads the fonts from the "fonts folder" that is now is not included with the image.
But still that step can be forgotten.  The idea of having a fonts package that can be load with the application is even better...

> Cheers
> Alain
>
> Le 08/10/2010 18:40, Alain Plantec a écrit :
>> Le 08/10/2010 14:37, Veronica Isabel Uquillas Gomez a écrit :
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I would like to know if i am the only one having the indentation problem when using bitmap fonts.
>>>
>>> The Torch dashboard makes use of small and big DejaVu Sans fonts. For configuring it the fonts folder is needed (that now is gone in the last version pharo 1.1.1 dev, why?).
>>> Got the suggestion of using the new DejaVu package and I tried... However, they are Bitmap DejaVu fonts and I have the problem of text indentation.
>>> I show the changed source code in popup views. With DejaVu sans fonts the text appears as it is written (first image), but with Bitmap fonts not -- all is aligned to the left, and it is impossible to read a method like that (second image).
>>>
>>> Do I need to set something else for those fonts to work?
>> Hi Veronica,
>>
>> After the loading, to install them:
>> DejaVuHolder installFull.
>> or
>> DejaVuHolder installSizes: #(5 7 8 9 10 11 24)
>> if you only want a subset
>>
>>> Any idea why do I have this problem?
>> I've tried with the 1.1.1 version on Linux and the indentation seems ok also with small fonts (5, 6, 7).
>> See the screenshot.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Alain
>>
>>> Can the fonts folder be include again in the distribution?
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>> Veronica Uquillas

Re: DejaVu vs Bitmap DejaVu / missing fonts folder

Veronica Isabel Uquillas Gomez
yeah.. I saw the comments, my problem appears after installing them.. :(