Delays Semaphores and Processes

Nicolas Cellier
I took a look at http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7321 and

I started publishing PharoInbox/SLICE-DelayFixFromMantis7321-nice  to
integrate Andreas' changes.

Now I did integrate all but DelayCleanup.1.cs
This change set does cure the failing testSemaphore in Pharo, but has
two problems:
1) It requires a preamble, and I don't know how they are handled in Monticello
2) It probably does not include change about LargeInteger delays included in 3.9
   (Dave kindly pointed me to http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=854)
3) it makes DelayTests>>#testBounds fail

I think that the limit of (SmallInteger maxVal//2) is not necessary...
if LargeInteger delay fix is in the image.
I can try to fix 2) mixing Andreas and Tim fixes.
What about 1) ?

Re: Delays Semaphores and Processes

Nicolas Cellier
Andreas answered that the SmallInteger limit is obsolete since
http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=6576 which was included in 3.10

So I will check that mantis 6576+7321, and change the DelayTests>>#testBounds

Then only the PREAMBLE problem will remain.
But I see this preamble can simply go in a ScriptLoader script.

2009/4/19 Nicolas Cellier <[hidden email]>:

> I took a look at http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7321 and
>
> I started publishing PharoInbox/SLICE-DelayFixFromMantis7321-nice  to
> integrate Andreas' changes.
>
> Now I did integrate all but DelayCleanup.1.cs
> This change set does cure the failing testSemaphore in Pharo, but has
> two problems:
> 1) It requires a preamble, and I don't know how they are handled in Monticello
> 2) It probably does not include change about LargeInteger delays included in 3.9
>   (Dave kindly pointed me to http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=854)
> 3) it makes DelayTests>>#testBounds fail
>

> I think that the limit of (SmallInteger maxVal//2) is not necessary...
> if LargeInteger delay fix is in the image.
> I can try to fix 2) mixing Andreas and Tim fixes.
> What about 1) ?

Re: Delays Semaphores and Processes

Nicolas Cellier
OK, I checked that mantis 6576 is superseded by 7321.

To install DelayCleanup.1.cs it is necessary to write a ScriptLoader
script like:
script363
        Delay startTimerEventLoop.
        (self buildConfigurationMapFor:
        #('Kernel-nice.renggli.300.mcz')) load

Now, last thing to fix is remove SmallInteger maxVal//2 protection and test.

2009/4/19 Nicolas Cellier <[hidden email]>:

> Andreas answered that the SmallInteger limit is obsolete since
> http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=6576 which was included in 3.10
>
> So I will check that mantis 6576+7321, and change the DelayTests>>#testBounds
>
> Then only the PREAMBLE problem will remain.
> But I see this preamble can simply go in a ScriptLoader script.
>
> 2009/4/19 Nicolas Cellier <[hidden email]>:
>> I took a look at http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7321 and
>> http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=688
>>
>> I started publishing PharoInbox/SLICE-DelayFixFromMantis7321-nice  to
>> integrate Andreas' changes.
>>
>> Now I did integrate all but DelayCleanup.1.cs
>> This change set does cure the failing testSemaphore in Pharo, but has
>> two problems:
>> 1) It requires a preamble, and I don't know how they are handled in Monticello
>> 2) It probably does not include change about LargeInteger delays included in 3.9
>>   (Dave kindly pointed me to http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=854)
>> 3) it makes DelayTests>>#testBounds fail
>>

>> I think that the limit of (SmallInteger maxVal//2) is not necessary...
>> if LargeInteger delay fix is in the image.
>> I can try to fix 2) mixing Andreas and Tim fixes.
>> What about 1) ?

Re: Delays Semaphores and Processes

Nicolas Cellier
My 16 KernelTests-Processes are green :)

Forget all the SLICE-DelayFixFromMantis7321 stuff, it only add pain
and complexity...
I checked that entire changes related to mantis 7321 list can be
loaded with following instructions:

        Delay startTimerEventLoop.
        (ScriptLoader new buildConfigurationMapFor:
                #('Kernel-nice.renggli.301.mcz'
                'KernelTests-nice.96.mcz'
                'System-Support-nice.11.mcz')) load.

If ever a problem occur, try again in several steps:

        (ScriptLoader new buildConfigurationMapFor:
                #('Kernel-nice.renggli.299.mcz'
                'KernelTests-nice.95.mcz'
                'System-Support-nice.11.mcz')) load.

        Delay startTimerEventLoop.
  (ScriptLoader new buildConfigurationMapFor:
  #('Kernel-nice.renggli.301.mcz'
  'KernelTests-nice.96.mcz')) load.

Or even in smaller grain...

Cheers

Nicolas

On Apr 19, 2009, at 8:34 PM, Nicolas Cellier wrote:

> Andreas answered that the SmallInteger limit is obsolete since
> http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=6576 which was included in 3.10
>
> So I will check that mantis 6576+7321, and change the
> DelayTests>>#testBounds
>
> Then only the PREAMBLE problem will remain.
> But I see this preamble can simply go in a ScriptLoader script.

yes there is no problem for adding a preamble in scriptLoader

This is good that you check a bit these fixes because the topic is
complex.

> 2009/4/19 Nicolas Cellier <[hidden email]>:
>> I took a look at http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7321 and
>> http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=688
>>
>> I started publishing PharoInbox/SLICE-DelayFixFromMantis7321-nice  to
>> integrate Andreas' changes.
>>
>> Now I did integrate all but DelayCleanup.1.cs
>> This change set does cure the failing testSemaphore in Pharo, but has
>> two problems:
>> 1) It requires a preamble, and I don't know how they are handled in
>> Monticello
>> 2) It probably does not include change about LargeInteger delays
>> included in 3.9
>>  (Dave kindly pointed me to http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=854)
>> 3) it makes DelayTests>>#testBounds fail
>>

>> I think that the limit of (SmallInteger maxVal//2) is not
>> necessary...
>> if LargeInteger delay fix is in the image.
>> I can try to fix 2) mixing Andreas and Tim fixes.
>> What about 1) ?

Re: Delays Semaphores and Processes

Ok let me know when this is ready and I can integrate it.

Stef

On Apr 19, 2009, at 9:11 PM, Nicolas Cellier wrote:

> OK, I checked that mantis 6576 is superseded by 7321.
>
> To install DelayCleanup.1.cs it is necessary to write a ScriptLoader
> script like:
> script363
> Delay startTimerEventLoop.
> (self buildConfigurationMapFor:
> #('Kernel-nice.renggli.300.mcz')) load
>
> Now, last thing to fix is remove SmallInteger maxVal//2 protection
> and test.
>
> 2009/4/19 Nicolas Cellier <[hidden email]>:
>> Andreas answered that the SmallInteger limit is obsolete since
>> http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=6576 which was included in 3.10
>>
>> So I will check that mantis 6576+7321, and change the
>> DelayTests>>#testBounds
>>
>> Then only the PREAMBLE problem will remain.
>> But I see this preamble can simply go in a ScriptLoader script.
>>
>> 2009/4/19 Nicolas Cellier <[hidden email]>:
>>> I took a look at http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7321 and
>>> http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=688
>>>
>>> I started publishing PharoInbox/SLICE-DelayFixFromMantis7321-nice
>>> integrate Andreas' changes.
>>>
>>> Now I did integrate all but DelayCleanup.1.cs
>>> This change set does cure the failing testSemaphore in Pharo, but
>>> has
>>> two problems:
>>> 1) It requires a preamble, and I don't know how they are handled
>>> in Monticello
>>> 2) It probably does not include change about LargeInteger delays
>>> included in 3.9
>>>  (Dave kindly pointed me to http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=854)
>>> 3) it makes DelayTests>>#testBounds fail
>>>

>>> I think that the limit of (SmallInteger maxVal//2) is not
>>> necessary...
>>> if LargeInteger delay fix is in the image.
>>> I can try to fix 2) mixing Andreas and Tim fixes.
>>> What about 1) ?

Re: Delays Semaphores and Processes

Nicolas Cellier
I consider it is ready, see my last mail for instructions

Nicolas

2009/4/20 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:

> Ok let me know when this is ready and I can integrate it.
>
> Stef
>
> On Apr 19, 2009, at 9:11 PM, Nicolas Cellier wrote:
>
>> OK, I checked that mantis 6576 is superseded by 7321.
>>
>> To install DelayCleanup.1.cs it is necessary to write a ScriptLoader
>> script like:
>> script363
>>       Delay startTimerEventLoop.
>>       (self buildConfigurationMapFor:
>>       #('Kernel-nice.renggli.300.mcz')) load
>>
>> Now, last thing to fix is remove SmallInteger maxVal//2 protection
>> and test.
>>
>> 2009/4/19 Nicolas Cellier <[hidden email]>:
>>> Andreas answered that the SmallInteger limit is obsolete since
>>> http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=6576 which was included in 3.10
>>>
>>> So I will check that mantis 6576+7321, and change the
>>> DelayTests>>#testBounds
>>>
>>> Then only the PREAMBLE problem will remain.
>>> But I see this preamble can simply go in a ScriptLoader script.

Re: Delays Semaphores and Processes

Hi nicolas

I tried and it loads :)

> Delay startTimerEventLoop.
> (ScriptLoader new buildConfigurationMapFor:
> #('Kernel-nice.renggli.301.mcz'
> 'KernelTests-nice.96.mcz'
> 'System-Support-nice.11.mcz')) load.

Now I will wait a bit to know what we do with the event rewrite
because may be this is too premature and I would like to avoid to have
to undo too much work.

Stef

On Apr 19, 2009, at 9:54 PM, Nicolas Cellier wrote:

> My 16 KernelTests-Processes are green :)
>
> Forget all the SLICE-DelayFixFromMantis7321 stuff, it only add pain
> and complexity...
> I checked that entire changes related to mantis 7321 list can be
> loaded with following instructions:
>
> Delay startTimerEventLoop.
> (ScriptLoader new buildConfigurationMapFor:
> #('Kernel-nice.renggli.301.mcz'
> 'KernelTests-nice.96.mcz'
> 'System-Support-nice.11.mcz')) load.
>
> If ever a problem occur, try again in several steps:
>
> (ScriptLoader new buildConfigurationMapFor:
> #('Kernel-nice.renggli.299.mcz'
> 'KernelTests-nice.95.mcz'
> 'System-Support-nice.11.mcz')) load.
>
> Delay startTimerEventLoop.
> (ScriptLoader new buildConfigurationMapFor:
> #('Kernel-nice.renggli.301.mcz'
> 'KernelTests-nice.96.mcz')) load.
>
> Or even in smaller grain...
>
> Cheers
>
> Nicolas
>
> 2009/4/19 Nicolas Cellier <[hidden email]>:
>> OK, I checked that mantis 6576 is superseded by 7321.
>>
>> To install DelayCleanup.1.cs it is necessary to write a ScriptLoader
>> script like:
>> script363
>>       Delay startTimerEventLoop.
>>       (self buildConfigurationMapFor:
>>       #('Kernel-nice.renggli.300.mcz')) load
>>
>> Now, last thing to fix is remove SmallInteger maxVal//2 protection
>> and test.
>>
>> 2009/4/19 Nicolas Cellier <[hidden email]>:
>>> Andreas answered that the SmallInteger limit is obsolete since
>>> http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=6576 which was included in 3.10
>>>
>>> So I will check that mantis 6576+7321, and change the
>>> DelayTests>>#testBounds
>>>
>>> Then only the PREAMBLE problem will remain.
>>> But I see this preamble can simply go in a ScriptLoader script.

Re: Delays Semaphores and Processes

nicolas
does it make sense if I load kernel-nice.renggli.300
then generate a new package that will be loaded using a similar script
than yours?
The problem is that I should merge with the changes done by mike.

Stef

On Apr 20, 2009, at 10:37 AM, Nicolas Cellier wrote:

> I consider it is ready, see my last mail for instructions
>
> Nicolas
>
> 2009/4/20 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:
>> Ok let me know when this is ready and I can integrate it.
>>
>> Stef
>>
>> On Apr 19, 2009, at 9:11 PM, Nicolas Cellier wrote:
>>
>>> OK, I checked that mantis 6576 is superseded by 7321.
>>>
>>> To install DelayCleanup.1.cs it is necessary to write a ScriptLoader
>>> script like:
>>> script363
>>>       Delay startTimerEventLoop.
>>>       (self buildConfigurationMapFor:
>>>       #('Kernel-nice.renggli.300.mcz')) load
>>>
>>> Now, last thing to fix is remove SmallInteger maxVal//2 protection
>>> and test.

Re: Delays Semaphores and Processes

nicolas

here is what I'm planning to do:

        1-  Delay startTimerEventLoop.
        2- Merge your pakcage 300
        3- publish a new script and package
                with   Delay startTimerEventLoop.

Do you think that this will work?

Stf

Re: Delays Semaphores and Processes

Stéphane Ducasse
I'm :)

Stef

On Apr 20, 2009, at 6:50 PM, Nicolas Cellier wrote:

> That should! just try it...
>
> 2009/4/20 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>
> nicolas
>
> here is what I'm planning to do:
>
>        1-  Delay startTimerEventLoop.
>        2- Merge your pakcage 300
>        3- publish a new script and package
>                with   Delay startTimerEventLoop.
>
> Do you think that this will work?
>
> Stf

Re: Delays Semaphores and Processes

Igor Stasenko
Btw, guys since you working on this stuff, could you please check/try
fixing this issue:

http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=6822

:)

2009/4/20 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:

> I'm :)
>
> Stef
>

> On Apr 20, 2009, at 6:50 PM, Nicolas Cellier wrote:
>
>> That should! just try it...
>>
>> 2009/4/20 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>
>> nicolas
>>
>> here is what I'm planning to do:
>>
>>        1-  Delay startTimerEventLoop.
>>        2- Merge your pakcage 300