Deleted or renamed behaviors

hernanmd
Hi all,

Is there a tool to observe the replacements of renamed or removed
methods in Pharo?
Because it happened to me several times, when loading a package in
Pharo two or three months after I've released something, there are
methods removed and I have to search the change comments everywhere
(change log, mailing list, issues list, etc) and figure out the
replacements, and sometimes it isn't so direct.
Cheers,

Hernán

Re: Deleted or renamed behaviors

Stéphane Ducasse
not directly but indeed we should be much more imaginative with our tools.
Now I'm spending my time on not really funny or exciting actions so I do not have time
to invent new stuff and this is bad.
I'm trying to make sure that this situation will change but so far still crawling.
This is why we will add RB in Unstable because we should use powertools in Unstable.

Stef

On Aug 31, 2010, at 6:46 PM, Hernán Morales Durand wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Is there a tool to observe the replacements of renamed or removed
> methods in Pharo?
> Because it happened to me several times, when loading a package in
> Pharo two or three months after I've released something, there are
> methods removed and I have to search the change comments everywhere
> (change log, mailing list, issues list, etc) and figure out the
> replacements, and sometimes it isn't so direct.
> Cheers,
>
> Hernán

Re: Deleted or renamed behaviors

hernanmd
Ok, thanks for the reply. I've created a repository in SqS for a tool
supporting better tracking of change history

http://www.squeaksource.com/ChangeTracker.html

please do not hesitate to contact me to join this project. I'm
planning to use the OB framework but any suggestions are welcomed.
Cheers,

Hernán

2010/8/31 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:

> not directly but indeed we should be much more imaginative with our tools.
> Now I'm spending my time on not really funny or exciting actions so I do not have time
> to invent new stuff and this is bad.
> I'm trying to make sure that this situation will change but so far still crawling.
> This is why we will add RB in Unstable because we should use powertools in Unstable.
>
> Stef
>
> On Aug 31, 2010, at 6:46 PM, Hernán Morales Durand wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Is there a tool to observe the replacements of renamed or removed
>> methods in Pharo?
>> Because it happened to me several times, when loading a package in
>> Pharo two or three months after I've released something, there are
>> methods removed and I have to search the change comments everywhere
>> (change log, mailing list, issues list, etc) and figure out the
>> replacements, and sometimes it isn't so direct.
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Hernán

Re: Deleted or renamed behaviors

Stéphane Ducasse
what is the idea?

What we want to do with veronica is
        - get a declarative code model (MC2/Ginsu) -->
        - put all the version of squeak and pharo in a Gemstone DB
        - make sure that we can do historized queries
                sender in version 1.0
        - diff between versions

Stef

On Aug 31, 2010, at 9:17 PM, Hernán Morales Durand wrote:

> Ok, thanks for the reply. I've created a repository in SqS for a tool
> supporting better tracking of change history
>
> http://www.squeaksource.com/ChangeTracker.html
>
> please do not hesitate to contact me to join this project. I'm
> planning to use the OB framework but any suggestions are welcomed.
> Cheers,
>
> Hernán
>
> 2010/8/31 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:
>> not directly but indeed we should be much more imaginative with our tools.
>> Now I'm spending my time on not really funny or exciting actions so I do not have time
>> to invent new stuff and this is bad.
>> I'm trying to make sure that this situation will change but so far still crawling.
>> This is why we will add RB in Unstable because we should use powertools in Unstable.
>>
>> Stef
>>
>> On Aug 31, 2010, at 6:46 PM, Hernán Morales Durand wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Is there a tool to observe the replacements of renamed or removed
>>> methods in Pharo?
>>> Because it happened to me several times, when loading a package in
>>> Pharo two or three months after I've released something, there are
>>> methods removed and I have to search the change comments everywhere
>>> (change log, mailing list, issues list, etc) and figure out the
>>> replacements, and sometimes it isn't so direct.
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Hernán

Re: Deleted or renamed behaviors

hernanmd
Hi Stef,

I don't aspire an advanced tool or even build a model for this, just a
tool for the short-term to track removed methods names or modified
selectors so I can see what is the new selector or equivalent method
to use instead, if such exists in the current image.

Hernán

2010/9/1 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:

> what is the idea?
>
> What we want to do with veronica is
>        - get a declarative code model (MC2/Ginsu) -->
>        - put all the version of squeak and pharo in a Gemstone DB
>        - make sure that we can do historized queries
>                sender in version 1.0
>        - diff between versions
>
> Stef
>
> On Aug 31, 2010, at 9:17 PM, Hernán Morales Durand wrote:
>
>> Ok, thanks for the reply. I've created a repository in SqS for a tool
>> supporting better tracking of change history
>>
>> http://www.squeaksource.com/ChangeTracker.html
>>
>> please do not hesitate to contact me to join this project. I'm
>> planning to use the OB framework but any suggestions are welcomed.
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Hernán
>>
>> 2010/8/31 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:
>>> not directly but indeed we should be much more imaginative with our tools.
>>> Now I'm spending my time on not really funny or exciting actions so I do not have time
>>> to invent new stuff and this is bad.
>>> I'm trying to make sure that this situation will change but so far still crawling.
>>> This is why we will add RB in Unstable because we should use powertools in Unstable.
>>>
>>> Stef

Re: Deleted or renamed behaviors

Stéphane Ducasse
sure.
Let me know what you have.
I just wanted to explain what we will start doing and what we have in mind.
The future looks quite cool to me but I'm an optimist and this is life

Stef