DemoMode should not change Fonts only sizes?

DemoMode should not change Fonts only sizes?

Mariano Martinez Peck
Hi Alain, I was trying the DemoMode before my talk at ESUG and I thought that it would be better if this guy only changes the size of the fonts. I am not sure if changing the fonts is good.

For example, right now it is using FreeType with DejaVu. Since Pharo1.1 dev doesn't use them, there is no folder "Fonts" with them…..thus they are not found and ugly fonts are rendered.

Cheers

mariano

Re: DemoMode should not change Fonts only sizes?

SergeStinckwich
2010/9/14 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:
> Hi Alain, I was trying the DemoMode before my talk at ESUG and I thought
> that it would be better if this guy only changes the size of the fonts. I am
> not sure if changing the fonts is good.
>
> For example, right now it is using FreeType with DejaVu. Since Pharo1.1 dev
> doesn't use them, there is no folder "Fonts" with them…..thus they are not
> found and ugly fonts are rendered.

Yes i already talk with Alain about this problem. One option was to
include severals sizes of bitmap DejaVu font.

BTW, we fix with Alain a problem of browser switches rendering with
the demo font during the Smalltallk Camp here in Barcelona.

--
Serge Stinckwich
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk

Re: DemoMode should not change Fonts only sizes?

Mariano Martinez Peck
Thanks Serge. I talked after with Alain and he explains me everything :)
he told me you will integrate new fonts (from cuis) into the image and that will have larger fonts available...then no need to use FreeType :)

Please let us know if this gets done.

Thanks

Mariano

2010/9/21 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:
> Thanks Serge. I talked after with Alain and he explains me everything :)
> he told me you will integrate new fonts (from cuis) into the image and that
> will have larger fonts available...then no need to use FreeType :)

Hi Mariano,

BTW, Alain is more an expert in fonts than me so he will made the changes ;-)
I just do the report of the bug. The idea is to integrate the Cuis
fonts in several size, so the demo font will not be dependent of the
fonts installed on your system.
The only problem is that the size of the image will grow accordingly.

Regards,

On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 12:06 PM, Serge Stinckwich <[hidden email]> wrote:
2010/9/21 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:
> Thanks Serge. I talked after with Alain and he explains me everything :)
> he told me you will integrate new fonts (from cuis) into the image and that
> will have larger fonts available...then no need to use FreeType :)

Hi Mariano,

BTW, Alain is more an expert in fonts than me so he will made the changes ;-)
I just do the report of the bug. The idea is to integrate the Cuis
fonts in several size, so the demo font will not be dependent of the
fonts installed on your system.
The only problem is that the size of the image will grow accordingly.

How much?

Anyway, I don't care too much if it increase. What it is important is to remove them in ScriptLoader >> cleanUpForProduction  I guess
For example right now, in that method is sending     "self removeDejaVuFonts".
Maybe we should update (if needed) that method to remove those new fonts.

Cheers

mariano

Regards,
--
Serge Stinckwich
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
http://doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: DemoMode should not change Fonts only sizes?

Alain Plantec-4
Le 21/09/2010 12:11, Mariano Martinez Peck a écrit :

> On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 12:06 PM, Serge Stinckwich
>
>     2010/9/21 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>     > Thanks Serge. I talked after with Alain and he explains me
>     everything :)
>     > he told me you will integrate new fonts (from cuis) into the
>     image and that
>     > will have larger fonts available...then no need to use FreeType :)
>
>     Hi Mariano,
>
>     BTW, Alain is more an expert in fonts than me so he will made the
>     changes ;-)

well, not really an expert ... :)

>     I just do the report of the bug. The idea is to integrate the Cuis
>     fonts in several size, so the demo font will not be dependent of the
>     fonts installed on your system.
>     The only problem is that the size of the image will grow accordingly.
>

> How much?
We have tried it with Marcus, it grows by 1.2 Mb.
> Anyway, I don't care too much if it increase. What it is important is
> to remove them in ScriptLoader >> cleanUpForProduction  I guess
> For example right now, in that method is sending     "self
> removeDejaVuFonts".
> Maybe we should update (if needed) that method to remove those new fonts.
yes

Alain

> Cheers
>
> mariano
>
>     Regards,
>     --
>     Serge Stinckwich
>     UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC), Hanoi, Vietnam
>     Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
>     http://doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: DemoMode should not change Fonts only sizes?

Fernando olivero-2
thanks Alain and Juan, CUIS fonts gave a excellent look and feel to Gaucho!

I highly recommend using them as the default Pharo font family

Fernando

pd: what i did is add the following line to the ConfigurationOfGaucho.

spec
                        blessing: #baseline;
                        repository: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/gaucho';
                package: 'DejaVuBitmapFonts' with:[ spec  repository: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/DejaVu'] ;

On Sep 21, 2010, at 12:19 PM, Alain Plantec wrote:

> Le 21/09/2010 12:11, Mariano Martinez Peck a écrit :
>>

>> On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 12:06 PM, Serge Stinckwich
>>
>>    2010/9/21 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]
>>    <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>>> Thanks Serge. I talked after with Alain and he explains me
>>    everything :)
>>> he told me you will integrate new fonts (from cuis) into the
>>    image and that
>>> will have larger fonts available...then no need to use FreeType :)
>>
>>    Hi Mariano,
>>
>>    BTW, Alain is more an expert in fonts than me so he will made the
>>    changes ;-)
>>
> well, not really an expert ... :)
>>
>>    I.........

DejaVu extra sizes Re: DemoMode should not change Fonts only sizes?

Sven Van Caekenberghe

On 21 Sep 2010, at 13:11, Fernando olivero wrote:

> thanks Alain and Juan, CUIS fonts gave a excellent look and feel to Gaucho!
>
> I highly recommend using them as the default Pharo font family
>
> Fernando
>
> pd: what i did is add the following line to the ConfigurationOfGaucho.
>
> spec
> blessing: #baseline;
> repository: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/gaucho';
> package: 'DejaVuBitmapFonts' with:[ spec  repository: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/DejaVu'] ;

This package works great (Pharo 1.1, Cog, OSX). Thanks for the pointer.

Due to the size issue, I wouldn't include them all by default.

Maybe we could make some clever set of MC packages that you can load for each font size that you want ?
Or load the spec data from a file/url ?

I think most people will only need one or two sizes. The fallback should just be miminal.

Sven

Re: DejaVu extra sizes Re: DemoMode should not change Fonts only sizes?

where is the package?

> This package works great (Pharo 1.1, Cog, OSX). Thanks for the pointer.
>
> Due to the size issue, I wouldn't include them all by default.
>
> Maybe we could make some clever set of MC packages that you can load for each font size that you want ?
> Or load the spec data from a file/url ?
>
> I think most people will only need one or two sizes. The fallback should just be miminal.
>
> Sven

Re: DejaVu extra sizes Re: DemoMode should not change Fonts only sizes?

Sven Van Caekenberghe
MCHttpRepository
        location: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/DejaVu'
        user: ''
        password: ''

On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 2:34 PM, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 21 Sep 2010, at 13:11, Fernando olivero wrote:

> thanks Alain and Juan, CUIS fonts gave a excellent look and feel to Gaucho!
>
> I highly recommend using them as the default Pharo font family
>
> Fernando
>
> pd: what i did is add the following line to the ConfigurationOfGaucho.
>
> spec
>                       blessing: #baseline;
>                       repository: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/gaucho';
>               package: 'DejaVuBitmapFonts' with:[ spec  repository: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/DejaVu'] ;

This package works great (Pharo 1.1, Cog, OSX). Thanks for the pointer.

Due to the size issue, I wouldn't include them all by default.

Maybe we could make some clever set of MC packages that you can load for each font size that you want ?
Or load the spec data from a file/url ?

You have a point here. Maybe we don't need to put all the families and all the size in the core....just the most used ones.

Then, in the Dev image we can load all the rest, and the settings to set the Demo Fonts.

what do you think alain?

Anyway, all these fonts should be removed in #cleanUpForProduction I think.

cheers

mariano

I think most people will only need one or two sizes. The fallback should just be miminal.

Sven

Re: DejaVu extra sizes Re: DemoMode should not change Fonts only sizes?

Yes
I think that we should just get better at packaging/loading....
But this package is important so it should be a supported package.

Stef

Le 23/09/2010 09:17, Stéphane Ducasse a écrit :
> Yes
> I think that we should just get better at packaging/loading....
> But this package is important so it should be a supported package.
>
> Stef

Concerning the size issue:
On a fresh image: after a cleanUpForRelease -> 13.4 Mo

Then, I've load the full dejaVu font and I've removed the old accuny one,
also removed old dejaVu (the current one with 3 sizes),
cleaned StrikeFont class
then cleanUpForRelease -> 14.1 Mo

In this image, only one dejaVu font with all sizes, so that standard and
demo mode are working.
Of course we can also remove small sizes (maybe 5, 6 and 7) to decrease
the size more.

Cheers
Alain

Re: DejaVu extra sizes Re: DemoMode should not change Fonts only sizes?

Alain Plantec-4
Accuny was not fully removed in my previous try (was still referenced by
TextConstants).
After deeper cleaning and loading of the dejaVu font without the 5, 6
and 7 sizes -> 14.0 Mo.
The size was of 13.2 Mo before the cleaning, so, I guess that the price
is of 0.8 Mo.

Here is what I've done:

-------
Before:

World removeAllMorphs.
StrikeFont cleanUp.
ScriptLoader new cleanUpForRelease.
-> 13.2 Mo

Then:

World removeAllMorphs.
StrikeFont cleanUp.
DejaVuHolder cleanUpForRelease.
StandardFonts setFontsFromSpec:
         #( #(#defaultFont: 'Bitmap DejaVu' 9 )
             #(#codeFont: 'Bitmap DejaVu' 9 )
             #(#listFont: 'Bitmap DejaVu' 9 )
             #(#menuFont: 'Bitmap DejaVu' 9 )
             #(#windowTitleFont: 'Bitmap DejaVu' 12 )
             #(#balloonFont:  'Bitmap DejaVu' 10 )
             #(#haloFont:  'Bitmap DejaVu' 10 )
             #(#buttonFont:  'Bitmap DejaVu' 9 ) ).
StrikeFont class removeCategory: #'*Graphics-Resources'.
TextConstants removeKey: #Accuny.
TextConstants removeKey: #'Bitmap DejaVu Sans'.
TextConstants at: #DefaultFixedTextStyle put: (TextConstants at:
#'Bitmap DejaVu').
TextConstants at:  #DefaultMultiStyle put: (TextConstants at: #'Bitmap
DejaVu').
StrikeFont cleanUp.
ScriptLoader new cleanUpForRelease.
SmalltalkImage current garbageCollectMost.
------

After that, there was still an old text style referenced by the
ParagraphEditor UndoParagraph class variable.
I've cleaned it by setting  UndoParagraph to nil from an inspector.

Cheers
Alain

Le 23/09/2010 09:40, Alain Plantec a écrit :

> Le 23/09/2010 09:17, Stéphane Ducasse a écrit :
>> Yes
>> I think that we should just get better at packaging/loading....
>> But this package is important so it should be a supported package.
>>
>> Stef
>>
> Concerning the size issue:
> On a fresh image: after a cleanUpForRelease -> 13.4 Mo
>
> Then, I've load the full dejaVu font and I've removed the old accuny one,
> also removed old dejaVu (the current one with 3 sizes),
> cleaned StrikeFont class
> then cleanUpForRelease -> 14.1 Mo
>
> In this image, only one dejaVu font with all sizes, so that standard
> and demo mode are working.
> Of course we can also remove small sizes (maybe 5, 6 and 7) to
> decrease the size more.
>
> Cheers
> Alain

Re: DejaVu extra sizes Re: DemoMode should not change Fonts only sizes?

Henrik Sperre Johansen

On Sep 23, 2010, at 9:40 42AM, Alain Plantec wrote:

> Le 23/09/2010 09:17, Stéphane Ducasse a écrit :
>> Yes
>> I think that we should just get better at packaging/loading....
>> But this package is important so it should be a supported package.
>>
>> Stef
>>

> Concerning the size issue:
> On a fresh image: after a cleanUpForRelease -> 13.4 Mo
>
> Then, I've load the full dejaVu font and I've removed the old accuny one,
> also removed old dejaVu (the current one with 3 sizes),
> cleaned StrikeFont class
> then cleanUpForRelease -> 14.1 Mo
>
> In this image, only one dejaVu font with all sizes, so that standard and demo mode are working.
> Of course we can also remove small sizes (maybe 5, 6 and 7) to decrease the size more.
>
> Cheers
> Alain
Sounds like a plan, I feel the StrikeFont port from Cuis is new robust enough now to drop accuny completely.
Personally I find 7 a good size for tooltips/buttons, haven't used the even smaller sizes.

The package should be updated to provide proper derived fonts for Bold Italic though.
Also, is there a specific reason bitmaps for Italic underlined is included for size 12, and no others?

Cheers,
Henry

Le 23/09/2010 16:03, Henrik Johansen a écrit :
> Sounds like a plan, I feel the StrikeFont port from Cuis is new robust enough now to drop accuny completely.
> Personally I find 7 a good size for tooltips/buttons, haven't used the even smaller sizes.

too small here, but of course, the 7 is available if we want to include it.
> The package should be updated to provide proper derived fonts for Bold Italic though.
notice that the 22 has Undelined and Italic-Underlined too

> Also, is there a specific reason bitmaps for Italic underlined is included for size 12, and no others?

I don't know why but it seems that it is like that in Cuis.
Maybe Juan could tell us ?

I've only implemented some methods in order to automatically extract
them from Cuis.
Alain

> Cheers,
> Henry

Re: DejaVu extra sizes Re: DemoMode should not change Fonts only sizes?

Juan Vuletich-4
Alain Plantec wrote:

> Le 23/09/2010 16:03, Henrik Johansen a écrit :
>> Sounds like a plan, I feel the StrikeFont port from Cuis is new
>> robust enough now to drop accuny completely.
>> Personally I find 7 a good size for tooltips/buttons, haven't used
>> the even smaller sizes.
>>
> too small here, but of course, the 7 is available if we want to
> include it.
>> The package should be updated to provide proper derived fonts for
>> Bold Italic though.
> notice that the 22 has Undelined and Italic-Underlined too
>>
>> Also, is there a specific reason bitmaps for Italic underlined is
>> included for size 12, and no others?
>>
> I don't know why but it seems that it is like that in Cuis.
> Maybe Juan could tell us ?
>
> I've only implemented some methods in order to automatically extract
> them from Cuis.
> Alain
>
>> Cheers,
>> Henry

Hi Folks,

I included in Cuis the fonts I think are most needed. If you want to
build other sizes, all you need is
http://www.jvuletich.org/Cuis/AAFonts.zip and the methods already in
StrikeFont. That zip file includes regular, bold, italic and bold italic
for all sizes between 5 and 24.

Have fun with it!

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

Le 23/09/2010 20:20, Juan Vuletich a écrit :

> Hi Folks,
>
> I included in Cuis the fonts I think are most needed. If you want to
> build other sizes, all you need is
> http://www.jvuletich.org/Cuis/AAFonts.zip and the methods already in
> StrikeFont. That zip file includes regular, bold, italic and bold
> italic for all sizes between 5 and 24.
>
> Have fun with it!
yes!
I've load them in pharo.
Thanks a lot Juan
A package for Pharo will be available soon.
Cheers
Alain